Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SW for display calibration?  (Read 3452 times)

Scott Newmann

SW for display calibration?
« on: September 22, 2014, 10:06:17 am »

Hey guys,
Has anyone tried PressProof 3 by Qubyx? I kind of liked the trial version, but as my experience with such SW is rather limited, I'd appreciate a word of advice on this/alternative SW.

howardm

Re: SW for display calibration?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 08:31:58 am »

I can't say I've ever heard of this company or product.  What in trial did you 'like' that isn't offered w/ the puck OEM software?  Which puck are you using?  Also, make sure they make V2 profiles in addition to V4 as V4 has shown to be 'problematic'.

Scott Newmann

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 08:08:13 am »

Also, make sure they make V2 profiles in addition to V4 as V4 has shown to be 'problematic'.

Thanks - I didn't know that. What is their problem exactly?

To be honest, there's way too much I don't know yet. That's why I asked a friend of mine for advice, he bought the display license for PressProof and says the quality of calibration is good.

howardm

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 08:53:45 am »

many applications and OS's have subtle color management problems when dealing w/ V4 profiles and they dont provide enough 'win' to warrant their use.  See many prior threads on this.

Honestly, if you have lots of questions, I'd strongly suggest just getting a XRite i1Display Pro and use the included i1Profiler software.  There's no real compelling reason to drop the extra $$ on another software package (since all hardware 'pucks' come w their own software anyway)

Lilly Andersson

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 08:32:48 am »

Hey guys,
Has anyone tried PressProof 3 by Qubyx? I kind of liked the trial version, but as my experience with such SW is rather limited, I'd appreciate a word of advice on this/alternative SW.
Hi Scott
My boyfriend participated in the pressproof early access beta-testing program so I saw it in action. Since I can't say that I'm a color management expert, I liked that they have help-texts for every function - it's convenient. Also, the guys who make this SW also develop the SW for medical industry, so they must know something about the quality of calibration.

Robert Ardill

• Images of Ireland
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 02:17:23 pm »

I don't know PressProof, but the Display calibration software costs more than an i1Display Pro (which I presume is the chuck that it uses).  Better to buy an i1 Display Pro and the XRite software that comes with it (i1 Profiler) will do the job perfectly for you.  Or you can use the very powerful ArgyllCMS freeware: it's command-prompt driven (so a bit complicated to use), but there's a GUI for monitor calibration called DispCalGui.

If you're really serious about color management then don't waste your money on display calibration only and go for an i1 Pro 2.  Very expensive, but it will calibrate all of your devices.

Robert
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. - George Santayana

Scott Newmann

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 07:42:46 am »

Thank you all for the comments.
Well, actually I've thought about profiling camera and printer as well, but decided to leave it for later, when I know more about all this stuff 

howardm

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 07:56:55 am »

Thank you all for the comments.
Well, actually I've thought about profiling camera and printer as well, but decided to leave it for later, when I know more about all this stuff 

Please realize that the hardware used for doing just display calibration is different from the display and printer so you could end up in a
situation where you basically buy the hardware twice.  The 'i1Display Pro' is display only whereas the 'i1Pro2' is both (although I think you can buy the hardware and display combo first and then buy an 'upgrade' (software and I think the base) for more $$.  That said, I've seen some places sell the unit for display and print for significantly less than normal.  There is also the 'Colormunki Photo' unit which can do both and it's about $450

rubencarmona

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 04:39:00 am »

Hello Scott

Before spending too much money on a device, first be sure to get into color management. Here are some links I can recommend you to start from scratch:

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/
https://de.scribd.com/doc/235151897/Color-Management-All-About
http://dpbestflow.org/color/color-management-overview#monitor

Scott Newmann

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 07:48:25 am »

Thanks again for all your comments and advice. I guess I'll look around a bit before making a final decision.
Pages: [1]   Go Up