Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Postal tubes  (Read 1015 times)

shaun

Postal tubes
« on: September 22, 2014, 07:25:57 am »

Hi

The mailing tubes where I am are not archival, made from recycled cardboard. I am looking at storing matt images in these for sale in a number of outlets. Anyone know what side effects there could be and roughly how long it would take to show. I know it's a how long is a piece of string question but any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks
Shaun

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Postal tubes
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 07:32:59 am »

It would take a while maybe a few years. You could always face the tube with a print scrap print which would slow down the process even more.

Or use a price of photo RC paper like Epson luster as it's pretty clearly not going to let much pass through ( see posts on outgas sing and RC paper). In this case the RC paper would not have been printed on.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 01:23:24 pm »

Well,

As you already know, the chemical/physical interaction may damage the prints and the rate of that will vary based on the actual materials/compounds used on the tube.
One day a client forgot a newspaper on our studio and I left it over a printed test strip on our table through the weekend. On monday I was shocked to see that the part of the paper (Hahnemühle Photo Rag 308) that was touching the newspaper became yellow. The rest of the paper was white as usual.
The use of a physical barrier (paper/mylar/clearbags) may prevent the damage caused by direct contact, but some vapors from chemicals/glues used on the tube may create a hostile atmosphere inside the tube that those barriers will not be able to block.
Surely the best option would be to store the prints flat in clearbags and place them on the tube just for shipping, but that may not be a viable option to you.

Regards.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 04:02:29 pm by Geraldo Garcia »

jferrari

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 07:23:32 pm »

Perhaps a poly bag like this would suit your situation?    - Jim
Nothing changes until something changes.

shaun

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 07:11:13 am »

Big thanks to everyone for their replies. I will be placing an order for some bags as per link here.

http://shop.silverprint.co.uk/Polyester-Sleeves-A3-10-pack/product/1751/P1PP307430Y75X/

Shaun
Pages: [1]   Go Up