Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: high quality batch conversion from 16bit tiff to jpeg web images  (Read 3020 times)

alain

high quality batch conversion from 16bit tiff to jpeg web images
« on: September 21, 2014, 04:25:32 pm »

Hi

I'm looking for a tool that can generate web images or small jpegs in batch, but with a high conversion quality.
windows 7.

Start is a directory with either 16-bit prophoto tiff images or high quality jpegs (adobe rgb or srgb).

wants :

- good colorspace conversions
- good downsampling
- size and file size options
- a rename possibility
- maybe adding some simple borders

It's no problem if I need to make a .cmd file to combine it (read several seperate runs from a program).

Alain

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: high quality batch conversion from 16bit tiff to jpeg web images
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 06:16:31 pm »

Hi

I'm looking for a tool that can generate web images or small jpegs in batch, but with a high conversion quality.
windows 7.

Start is a directory with either 16-bit prophoto tiff images or high quality jpegs (adobe rgb or srgb).

wants :

- good colorspace conversions
- good downsampling
- size and file size options
- a rename possibility
- maybe adding some simple borders

It's no problem if I need to make a .cmd file to combine it (read several seperate runs from a program).

Hi Alain,

ImageMagick allows to achieve that, with a lot of flexibility if you make some batch-files for different purposes. You can use the down-sampling part of the code from this tool if you want to use the latest insights, and hard-code some of the other conversions, like profile conversions and file name/type renaming and location, borders, etc., etc.

Windows batch-files can loop through a directory of files, and execute a command or other batch-file for all input files that match a certain file name or type, with the For ... Do command. It may be useful to reserve an input and an output directory, where the to-be-processed files and the results can be copied to. That would make it easier in case the input files need to be preprocessed, or the output files with perhaps (multiple) different sizes need things like borders and/or different text added to them. 

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

alain

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 06:35:04 pm »

Hi Alain,

ImageMagick allows to achieve that, with a lot of flexibility if you make some batch-files for different purposes. You can use the down-sampling part of the code from this tool if you want to use the latest insights, and hard-code some of the other conversions, like profile conversions and file name/type renaming and location, borders, etc., etc.

Windows batch-files can loop through a directory of files, and execute a command or other batch-file for all input files that match a certain file name or type, with the For ... Do command. It may be useful to reserve an input and an output directory, where the to-be-processed files and the results can be copied to. That would make it easier in case the input files need to be preprocessed, or the output files with perhaps (multiple) different sizes need things like borders and/or different text added to them. 

Cheers,
Bart
Bart

Thanks, ImageMagick was on my list.  I will look into it.

Alain

AFairley

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 09:57:48 am »

Of course a Photoshop droplet would do any/all of this, no?  Drag the files onto the droplet and sit back.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 02:04:08 pm »

Photo Mechanic does a nice job of downsampling and sharpening, and it would easily handle everything on the list except borders. PM does a lot of other things, too, mostly editing and metadata stuff, so it's not inexpensive.

And yeah, a droplet will work just fine.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 03:17:51 pm »

Lightroom?
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

sbay

• http://stephenbayphotography.com/
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 05:04:26 pm »

For lightroom, I recommend also getting the Metadata Wrangler plugin to control what metadata is saved with the jpeg. This can make a significant difference in file sizes.

Imagemagick is also great but it is a command line program.

kirkt

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 06:43:32 pm »

XNViewMP and XNView Convert offer a full batch processing workflow.  For free.

http://www.xnview.com/en/xnconvert/

PC, Mac, Linux.

kirk

alain

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 06:57:13 pm »

Thanks

I'm looking for a batch tool and thus looked a ImageMagick, seems ok, but the options are cryptic.

I had two result jpeg files from some tiff files, the file and the tumb.  adding
  • to the input filename solved that, but it took me quite some time ;-)

Seems not to show, should be open square bracket, 0 , close square bracket (if that makes sense in English)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 07:08:06 pm by alain »

alain

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 01:18:06 pm »

Hi Alain,

Cheers,
Bart
Bart

I looked at this tool and it seems impressive.

Am I right that the latest version does first a conversion from the embedded profile to sRGB  and at the end back to the embed profile or is it more of a temp gamma change.
Or for me : Is it best to do a profile conversion to sRGB first?

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 01:39:39 pm »

Bart

I looked at this tool and it seems impressive.

Am I right that the latest version does first a conversion from the embedded profile to sRGB  and at the end back to the embed profile or is it more of a temp gamma change.
Or for me : Is it best to do a profile conversion to sRGB first?

Hi Alain,

Correct, the script (as it is) saves the embedded profile from the source file at the beginning, and assigns it again to the resampled output file at the end of the process.

It would also be possible to have ImageMagick do a profile conversion from input to e.g. sRGB (or something else) instead. One needs to supply the full path to the output profile to do profile conversions (or save a copy in the active directory at hand). Due to differences in gamut, it might be best to do it after resampling, but it would also be possible to do a profile conversion at the start.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

alain

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 01:52:43 pm »

Hi Alain,

Correct, the script (as it is) saves the embedded profile from the source file at the beginning, and assigns it again to the resampled output file at the end of the process.

It would also be possible to have ImageMagick do a profile conversion from input to e.g. sRGB (or something else) instead. One needs to supply the full path to the output profile to do profile conversions (or save a copy in the active directory at hand). Due to differences in gamut, it might be best to do it after resampling, but it would also be possible to do a profile conversion at the start.

Cheers,
Bart
Bart

Thanks
Prophoto has a gamma of 1.8 if I remember correctly, does that makes a difference? 
My goal now is to end with sRGB images for high quality web usage, so I need to go to sRGB at some point.  Normally the end is indeed the best, but i see some complex things going on in the script ;-)

BTW. Are there options to get an optimum icc conversion from prophoto to sRGB?
Pages: [1]   Go Up