Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: help me choose a display :)  (Read 3585 times)

smthopr

• Bruce Alan Greene Cinematography
help me choose a display :)
« on: September 21, 2014, 01:17:45 pm »

I will need a new display to use with my MBP Retina (with the video card).

I think I need a 27" display to view the workspace for Adobe Speedgrade.  I will be using an additional broadcast display for critical viewing of the project, but when I'm done, I'd like to be left with a good display for still photography.

But also, once in a while, I'd like to be able to view calibrated sRGB (REC709 - full range) on the display, while using only the saved LUT/icc profile stored in the display.  Of course, for still photography, I'd like a "wide gamut" capable display.

Any thoughts?

These models change pretty fast, so I don't trust the archives for recommendations.
Bruce Alan Greene
www.brucealangreene.com

MrSmith

Re: help me choose a display :)
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 01:41:58 pm »

Eizo? I think the newer models (CG class) are now geared towards critical video as well as stills with menu selectable rec709 etc as well as wide gamut A1998 plus a safe area and 24p playback settings
Some people will reccomend NEC but if you are in Europe then models are slightly different from u.s. models and may not come with the calibration software*

*needs clarification.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 01:47:42 pm »

D Fosse

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 04:41:04 am »

Eizo? I think the newer models (CG class) are now geared towards critical video as well as stills with menu selectable rec709 etc as well as wide gamut A1998 plus a safe area and 24p playback settings

That's correct, CG is targeted as much towards pro video as photography/graphics (cg246 OSD attached). The CX series doesn't have these video specific features, so that's one of the main differences between the two lines, in addition to the internal sensor and hood. Other than that CG and CX seem identical (I have both).

NEC is not a good proposition in Europe. It's either the Spectraview/Spectraview Reference lines, about the price of Eizo CG but with clearly inferior software. Then there's the regular PA series, same monitor but firmware locked so they can't be hardware calibrated with EU Spectraview software and furthermore can't be upgraded. US Spectraview software works, but has to be physically purchased from US.

smthopr

• Bruce Alan Greene Cinematography
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 01:17:47 pm »

Since I'm in the US, I'm trying to choose between the NECpa272 with spectra view and the Eizo CX271.

Any thoughts here?

Thanks for the responses :)
Bruce Alan Greene
www.brucealangreene.com

D Fosse

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 05:30:57 pm »

In the US, I think you will find those two very similar in every respect, and both are state of the art for still photography.

Note that Eizo CX is sold in three flavors: with ColorNavigator license and sensor; with ColorNavigator license but no sensor (all current sensors are supported); and finally without ColorNavigator (it can be bought separately).

For Rec.709 menu preset, 24 fps playback and safe area (and hood), you'd need the CG277 at higher cost. I don't know if the NEC has this.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 05:36:45 pm by D Fosse »
Pages: [1]   Go Up