Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Breathing Color Silverada Metallic  (Read 2265 times)

Mike Sellers

• Mike Sellers Photography
Breathing Color Silverada Metallic
« on: September 21, 2014, 08:17:55 am »

On my HP Z3100 should I have the gloss optimizer on or off with this canvas?
Mike

k_p98

Re: Breathing Color Silverada Metallic
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 01:30:05 pm »

Sorry I can't answer your question directly, but when I tried a sample roll on my Canon iPF6100, I found that I didn't have an issue with how uncoated areas looked in terms of reflection.  But the problem is that although this canvas is probably the most durable, it isn't waterproof, and if your fingers are a bit wet and you rub, ink will come off easily.  If you can use the gloss optimizer over the entire image, (I think the HP has a setting for that.. no?), then this might make it more waterproof.  Do you think this is the case?

I also tried the Hanhemule silver metallic and it was very similar in this regard.  This one passed the crack test incredibly well so stretching it without coating is no problem, but that water issue is fairly big.  The Breathing Color did well in the crack test as well, though not as well, but if that gloss optimizer would add water protection, this might be a great combo.  The coating of canvas is really where the big cost factor is in terms of time, so if a printer could spit out some sort of protection over the ink right after it lays down the dots, this could be a huge thing.  (of course the gloss optimizer is probably cost prohibitive if used over the entire canvas)

Mike Sellers

• Mike Sellers Photography
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 10:41:22 pm »

Hi,
You make some good points. I am inclined to try the Breathing Color version because they have trial rolls but I can`t find a trial for the Hanhemule version.
Mike

Landscapes

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 12:25:43 am »

I would say they are both similar, and the edge goes to BC simply because of the price when you buy 3 rolls.  The Hanhemule had better cracking resistance, meaning no matter how hard I folded over the canvas and made a crease, it just wouldn't lift off any ink.  But since you realistically have to coat if the piece is going to hang in a store and not go straight to the client that might hang it up and leave it alone, then none of these make any difference for me.  Might as well stick with the matte canvas which is cheaper and coat anyway.  Mind you, the matte canvases for me tend to have a few more imperfections and seeds, since they are mostly cotton, whereas these metallic canvases seem to be a mix of poly and cotton.  It almost makes me want to try a pure 100% polyester canvas which is cheap and should also be more perfect.  There is nothing worse than an imperfection in a gradient sky.

So in summary, the metallic canvases I explored because I thought it might mean no need to coat, but since this isn't the case, I can't justify the extra cost.

Iluvmycam

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 02:29:58 pm »

From what I recall GO was on, but can't say for sure. I can say it is very similar to the Hahn metallic in look. I don't print on canvas for my own work and only used test sheets for an artists' book project.

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 03:23:30 pm »

on my ipf8300 I do not have a GO option but I notice no gloss differential printing on silverada. a million other issues that keep me from wanting to use it, but right out of the printer no noticeable issues. certainly nothing like I've come to expect from metallic RC papers. You need to coat that canvas no matter what they tell you and that should make the GO irrelevant.
Pages: [1]   Go Up