Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 5x7 View Camera Lenses - Seeking Recommendations  (Read 6129 times)

davisline

5x7 View Camera Lenses - Seeking Recommendations
« on: September 20, 2014, 12:27:05 pm »

I just acquired a Deardorff 5x7 view camera and want to purchase lenses. This is my first view camera (rangefinder and DSLR shooter) so excuse my ignorance but I am hoping to solicit some recommendations. I would like to outfit the camera with 3 lenses - a wide angle (80-100mm), normal and telephoto (similar to 300-500mm) that will accommodate lens movements. I plan to use black & white and color film and my primary interest is landscapes. Although a vintage lens has appeal my first priority is coated, modern lenses. All recommendations or suggestions are welcomed.

DanielStone

Re: 5x7 View Camera Lenses - Seeking Recommendations
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 08:24:51 pm »

I'd go after the following:
Wide: Nikkor-SW 90mm f/8
*Large enough image circle to cover 5x7 with some movement potential, great for color shooting too. Quite even in light distribution, but with any WA lens and not using a center filter, you might find some vignetting/darkening of the corners.

Normal: Fujinon-A 240mm f/9
*very small/light lens, Copal 0 shutter. Tremendous lens. Great for close-up, but equally capable for infinity situations.

Long: Fujinon-C 450mm f/12.5   
*small, in a Copal 1 shutter, very large image circle. Tremendous lens

I own and use the 240A and the 450C within my 5x7/4x5 kit. I'd be using the f/8 Nikkor, but found a steal of a deal on a 90/4.5 Nikkor, so went with that instead.

I primarily shoot color film, and drum scan. So getting the highest quality out of the film is important. As is the weight savings of the smaller lenses vs the larger plasmats that are easily sourced, but heavy to lug around.

-Dan

RomanN.

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 06:15:28 am »

Hi,
on your position I would go for this lenses:
-  very wide: Super Angulon MC 5,6/90 mm or Rodentsock Grandagon MC 4,5/90 mm. They have bigger image circle than 8/90 mm lenses ( 100° against 105°) that could be important for 5x7 inch and thayare better for focusing on the screen. Super angulon would be cheaper and lighter, rodentsock brighter and haevier.
- usually you will need the standart wide angle lens that can be Super Angulon MC 8/120 mm ( or same Nikkor) or Rodenstock Grandagon 6,8/115 mm
- for normal MC couted lenses go for Sironar-N MC ( same lens as Apo Sironar-N but cheaper) or Symmar-S MC. both are great and very good value. You can go for 180 mm, 210 mm or 240 mm (this is bigger, Copal 3 size)- depends on your needs. You can go also for very cheap old Symmar- not MC. It will give you same results than the MC modern lens for landscapes. The differance will be visible at closer distances only.
- For loger lenses are the cheap and light Apo Ronar or G-glaron great. both great lenses, G-glaron have bigger image circle. Also Fuji A ist very nice, but more expensive and not better that the german both.
- When you want the widest wide angle for 5x7 inch than go for Schneider S.A. XL 5,6/ 72 mm.

Sheldon N

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 10:26:47 am »

+1 for Daniel Stone's recommendations.

Alternate options to consider if you wanted a cheaper/faster aperture normal lens would be any 210mm f/5.6 lens from Fuji/Nikkor/Schneider/Rodenstock. Should be able to get one around $200, a little cheaper than the 240A but bigger/heavier.

If you went with a 210, then you could consider a 300mm Fujinon-C f/8.5 lens or a 300mm f/9 Nikkor-M lens as your longer focal length. You might want to check the maximum bellows extension on your Dorf to see if it can handle the 450 Fuji.
Sheldon Nalos
[url=http://www.flickr.com

paulmoorestudio

• http://paulmoorestudio.com
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 03:30:00 pm »

Large format is not a dslr so I would question starting with 3 lenses.. I would say one or two, and if I were to return to Large format work in nature..landscape or other, I would use the Rodenstock 155mm and 300 APO.  Both with ample coverage for 5x7 and having used both they are stunning.  I would then add a 450mm as well, so you can see I define wide, normal and long slightly shifted than others.  the 115 rodenstock would be too wide for me but maybe just what you are looking for in wide angle... you really need to borrow some lenses and see what the view is on the ground glass.  Good luck and work as slow as the medium allows. Also why not get ahold of a reducing back and shoot some 4x5 too, making what ever lenses you have do more.

davisline

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 12:07:12 am »

I would like to thank everyone for their thoughtful input. I concur on the 3 lens suggestion - my DSLR outfit typically includes 2-3 fixed lenses (not a fan of zoom). In my search for used large format lenses, I wanted to zero in on 3 high quality lenses where I'll not have buyer's remorse (old saying, buy quality and cry once). I don't plan on packing 3 lenses at one time but wanted some general direction to get a sense of what to look for on the used market from reputable dealers. Thanks again. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up