Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why I chose a Nikon D810 over a Hasselblad H5D 50 as a portrait photographer  (Read 40314 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Why I chose a Nikon D810 over a Hasselblad H5D 50 as a portrait photographer
« Reply #80 on: September 22, 2014, 05:33:30 am »

I always thought there must be a market for a motorised tripod/camera trigger that can do this at the click of a button.
You know, if they can do it for telescopes, why can't they do it for us?
If any manufacturers are reading this and just had a light bulb moment, I WANT COMMISSION (or at least recognition).

The closest thing probably?

http://www.dr-clauss.de/en/foto-studiotechnik-3/rodeon-pix-series-eng-2

Cheers,
Bernard

torger

Re: Why I chose a Nikon D810 over a Hasselblad H5D 50 as a portrait photographer
« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2014, 05:58:45 am »

There are a few motorized stitching solutions out there since a few years. Most have been focused at gigapixel spherical view kind of stuff, rather than stitching a normal architecture shot. But I guess it's more about marketing and software packaging than hardware, I think someone could make a stitch-based landscape/architecture solution based on already existing products. It would not be that portable though.

When I did stitching I used a manual head, easier to carry and you no worries about running out of battery. Personally I found stitching to be a too mechanical shooting process to be really enjoyable (again very subjective), but I do recognize it as a very good and cost effective method to achieve high resolution images or wide angle views. You can't beat the quality of spherical stitching, using only the center portion of a high resolution lens. Many use stitching on tech cams (moving the back and stitch within the image circle) which has some advantages compared to spherical stitching (you can usually cover the same view with fewer shots), but I have actually never done it other than for testing, I enjoy the one-shot process much more even if one have to compromise with quality at times. Had I been shooting more indoor architecture I think I would have used stitching more, because you tend to run into situations when you need extreme wide angle there for practical reasons (can't back out through the wall). The attached picture is such a stitch I made a few years ago with a Canon 7D (had no MF system at the time), I simply did not have a lens with wide enough wide angle to document the whole room in a single shot (not a super shoot with bad light etc, but worked well as documentation which was the purpose that day).

I see post-processing as a necessary evil, but I don't particularly like it. The less time I can spend with it the happier I am. Even if there are effective stitching software I'm convinced the one shot images does reduce the time you sit at the computer. This has also been a major sales point for MFD in portrait applications, that the default result in terms of color and look is closer to the end result than a typical 135 system will deliver. As far as I understand despite the advances of 135 it's still the general consensus that this is the case.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 06:09:00 am by torger »

Petrus

« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2014, 08:31:13 am »

I would say that for journalistic portraiture the slight resolution difference between 36 and 50 MPix is much more than compensated by the fast and nimble handling and better DR and high ISO from Nikon D810 and right selection of lenses. Simply more and better selection of keepers, less DOF if that is wanted and at a fraction of the price.

Three lenses to consider: first replace 50mm Nikkor with Sigma Art 50mm (like already suggested). Second: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art is also great and relatively cheap as medium WA, sharpest AF 35mm on the planet. Last but not least: Nikkor DC 135mm f/2 is the often overlooked and almost forgotten portrait lens, almost 20 years old, yes, but well ahead of it's time what comes to sharpness. It also has the special DOF control thingy if one wants to get artsy. It is my favorite face lens by far.

New 58mm Nikkor is good for swirling bokeh effects, but I prefer the 50mm Sigma.

Atina

« Reply #83 on: September 22, 2014, 08:43:44 am »

I could try and refute what he has said about MF and give my view as an experienced user in both MF and DSLRs, but why bother now? 

Because some people are interested in your opinion and would like to learn something new.

Eddie van der Walt

« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2014, 09:06:23 am »

Last but not least: Nikkor DC 135mm f/2 is the often overlooked and almost forgotten portrait lens, almost 20 years old, yes, but well ahead of it's time what comes to sharpness. It also has the special DOF control thingy if one wants to get artsy. It is my favorite face lens by far.

Petrus,

You have said the magic word. I love that 135 f2 DC lens. It is absolutely the next on my buy list. I do wonder if its aged optics is capable of resolving the detail a 36MP camera needs, and I was quietly hoping that Nikon would update it at Photokina.

Do you have a portfolio anywhere where I may see some full-res shots?

Petrus

« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2014, 11:54:14 am »

Do you have a portfolio anywhere where I may see some full-res shots?

As I do not own the rights to my professional work I can not spread the pictures around freely. I'll have to ask if I can place a few in my dropbox.

135 DC is not perfectly sharp at full open (bit like the new 58mm), but already at f/2.8 it shines. It used to be one of the best Nikkors until the newest crop of lenses came to market like both 85mm, new 50mm etc, so it is still perfectly usable, and the focal length is perfect.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2014, 12:02:35 pm »

Went on a vacation trip with the woman. Took only the D800 and a couple of lenses as space was at a premium and I wanted a doitall solution.
Shot some "Nice vacation pics" that were absolutely not going to happen with the medium format rig. Then shot one portrait of her.

Came back home and started processing in C1P. Instantly regretted not packing the credo with me.

Too much text. Here's the picture.

Carry on...

Something about that shot, just love the expression on her face.  You have nothing to worry about with the use of Nikon. 

Great shot, thanks for sharing.
Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Conner999

« Reply #87 on: September 22, 2014, 01:41:58 pm »

+1 (and then some)

The dealers never missed an opportunity to regale you with the tired mantra of 'increasing sales, increasing profits' etc etc - was (and is) true. What they didn't say though (and possibly didn't know or suspect) was that these were not enough to cover the ever increasing short term debt, hence the crisis. Continuing to refer to it as  'aggressive expansion financing' coupled with claims that 'PhaseOne had been both profitable and growing since 2008' bordered on disinformation.

The Press release was suitably ambiguous, but was clear in one thing - the proceeds of the sale were to be reinvested in the company 'for a minority stake'. They were, the debt much reduced, hence the improved financial outlook today.

It was a straightforward 'buyout'. If anyone tries to tell you otherwise, just ask them one simple question : " In what way did selling a 60% stake (and ceding both control and ownership) benefit the company and it's shareholders as opposed to a simple capital increase - IPO or equivalent? "

M

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #88 on: September 22, 2014, 05:58:35 pm »

Something about that shot, just love the expression on her face.  You have nothing to worry about with the use of Nikon. 

Great shot, thanks for sharing.
Paul

Thank you, Paul. All credits to her, I was just pushing the buttons. :)
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #89 on: September 22, 2014, 06:52:00 pm »

Thank you, Paul. All credits to her, I was just pushing the buttons. :)

I am sure she'll love the spit analogy! ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

sbernthal

« Reply #90 on: September 23, 2014, 04:39:36 pm »

Very late to the discussion, I'll give my contrition nevertheless.

The question itself is worthy to discuss, as it does interest everybody, even if it keeps coming back relentlessly. Moreover, new considerations are always entering the equation, so I don't think it's a waste of everyone's time. I am not offended by hearing opinions from people who didn't buy MFD.

I've had 35mm and MFD system for years, and I have a pretty informed opinion.
I don't believe there's much point in technical comparisons, as they are terribly boring and can be construed every way the poster wants, as there's no faculty of image quality in any university.

Here is what I think is relevant:

1. What camera do I pick up? 100% of the time (when both are possible to the assignment) I pick up the Mamiya Leaf. The Canon is gathering dust.

2. In some rare cases I use both on the same assignment just to see what happens. Which one gives me better images? 100% of the time Mamiya Leaf. Why? At this point I don't really care.

As far a as financial stability - I consider this a very valid and important purchase decision making point.
As long as global income inequality continues to increase, Phase One's numbers will continue to improve, and I don't see the Koch brothers or Goldman Sachs handing over their money or their control of the three US government branches any time soon. Phase makes most of it's sales (in my uninformed opinion) from the 1%. The guy who buys golden toilets will also buy P1/Hasselblad/Leica and not Nikon, unless the Nikon is encrusted with diamonds.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 04:41:31 pm by sbernthal »

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #91 on: September 23, 2014, 05:40:58 pm »

Very late to the discussion, I'll give my contrition nevertheless.

As long as global income inequality continues to increase, Phase One's numbers will continue to improve, and I don't see the Koch brothers or Goldman Sachs handing over their money or their control of the three US government branches any time soon. Phase makes most of it's sales (in my uninformed opinion) from the 1%. The guy who buys golden toilets will also buy P1/Hasselblad/Leica and not Nikon, unless the Nikon is encrusted with diamonds.

The farce brings us your words - so humble, so funny they are, so true they may be.

Edmund
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 05:42:45 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

leeonmaui

« Reply #92 on: September 23, 2014, 06:39:41 pm »

Aloha,

And the coolest thing is I can read all this s@$t
While I'm on the beach waiting for the light to change and the tide to go out...

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #93 on: September 23, 2014, 07:22:34 pm »

Aloha,

And the coolest thing is I can read all this s@$t
While I'm on the beach waiting for the light to change and the tide to go out...

Wish I was there :(

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

leeonmaui

« Reply #94 on: September 23, 2014, 07:34:39 pm »

Aloha,

Simple Edmund,
Fly to Honolulu, fly to Kauai, drive to Princeville, park at the small lot near the end of the point,
The path is between the parking lot and a condo complex,
It's pretty steep for about three hundred feet (100 meters)
And your there!
Hideaway Beach, Princeville, Hawaii
Not a bad working environment.....

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #95 on: September 23, 2014, 07:53:34 pm »

The great thing about everyone selling their MF gear to buy 35mm is how cheap you pick up a Blad for these days. ;D
I have a 5D2 and was looking for a 5D3 and 85 f1.2 and instead bought a Blad cheaper.

You probably don't need the latest and greatest Blad if budget is the issue. Start with a H3 or H4 and start to build a lens collection.

I know a lot of pros using Canon and Nikon also, but when they are shooting for Professional Photographer of the Year they were usually on the Phase or Blad.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

leeonmaui

« Reply #96 on: September 23, 2014, 08:28:17 pm »

Aloha,

I have found the opposite is true with the pentax 655 system
While there are some good deals if you bide your time,
In general since the release of the new Z prices are climbing on the lenses.
But you can pick up a rocking body for $3000-$4000
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up