Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Acadia at end of October?  (Read 3787 times)

richarddd

• flickr photostream
Acadia at end of October?
« on: September 19, 2014, 08:02:12 pm »

Would the end of October be too late to go to Acadia NP?

I'd be going with my wife, whose interests are day hikes and drives.

If it would be a good time to go, suggestions on how long to stay and what to see and photograph would be appreciated.

mshea

Re: Acadia at end of October?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 10:24:56 pm »

Acadia is beautiful at almost any time of year, except perhaps in early Spring. But you'd definitely miss peak color at the end of October.

Merrill

richarddd

• flickr photostream
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 09:24:18 am »

It's not easy hitting peak color if one is buying airplane tickets well in advance. :(

Any suggestions, or pointers to good materials, on how long to stay and what to see and photograph would be appreciated.

stevenf

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 11:57:05 am »

I went to Acadia and New Hampshire last year. Portfolio on my website, eastern hardwoods. I usually allow two or three weeks of time so that I am there for peak colour. I believe my start date was around the 8th of October. I guess one could pick 5 or 7 days and hope they get lucky and have the right days.

Steven

www.friedmanphoto.com

richarddd

• flickr photostream
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 10:00:27 am »

I'm not going for fall foliage, which I'll likely miss by couple of weeks.  It's just a convenient time for me to travel.

Miles

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 04:33:50 pm »

Acadia has carriage trails that you can bike on as well as numerous hiking trails.  There are vendors in Bar Harbor that rent bicycles for the day if you want to try that.  I have never biked the trails, but I know several people who have repeatedly over the years.  It may be worth exploring if you have an interest.  Bar Harbor is an interesting town and fun to visit, but many shops will likely be closed up that late in the year.

Sunrise from the top of Cadillac Mountain is a must if you are in the area.  You can drive to the top (my kind of mountain).  It will be cold and potentially windy, so dress accordingly.  Acadia is also an excellent area for star and milky way shots, if that interests you.  Sunrise or sunset at Jordan pond looking towards the Bubbles is a must for any avid photographer.  I have taken star trails there as well with excellent results.

Snow usually doesn't last in that area of Maine that time of year, but you could find sections of the park roads closed to vehicles should snow or ice happen while you are there.  I'm just making sure you are aware of the hazards.

You may appreciate the lack of crowds that time of year.  Some side trips to Northeast Harbor, Winter Harbor, and Bass Harbor Lighthouse may be enjoyable for you.

If you like birds, there is a local that gives sightseeing tours for them in the area.  I have taken one of his trips and can tell you he is extremely good at what he does.  His name escapes me right now but I think you can find him easily on google or email me and I will look him up for you.  I'm not a bird photographer, but a few hours with him brought me an appreciation for what he does.

MikeHudson

• Images of Acadia Fine Art Photography
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 11:51:23 am »

I realize this is late to be responding, but here goes... maybe for your next trip.

I've been visiting Acadia every Fall for almost ten years. I always go the second week of October and stay for a week. In nine visits, I've always had decent weather (usually one day of rain in a week) and good color. Foliage doesn't all peak at the same time, so don't worry about being there for the 'peak' time- it lasts about two weeks. I would say that after about the 20th, everything goes downhill fast, though you can still find pockets of color.

But besides the obvious great images you can make of the color, there're plenty of other great locations- the coast, especially, is beautiful and I actually prefer to shoot there than shoot the foliage. You can get some nice images of the lakes and ponds too and while they look better with the color reflecting on a still day, they're still very scenic.

Even a day of rain helps out- by the time it's over, the streams have turned into rivers and waterfalls. Honestly, you can't go wrong in Acadia- except in winter when a lot of the roads are closed or un-passable with snow. Have a look at my website to get some ideas of places to photograph.

stevenf

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 03:28:09 pm »

Mike

Beautiful work. We will be out east this year for three weeks.

Steven

http://www.friedmanphoto.com

MikeHudson

• Images of Acadia Fine Art Photography
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 03:31:44 pm »

Thanks Steven- let me know your dates when they're finalised- hopefully we can meet up this time.

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up