Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Isn't time for a mirrorless medium format camera?  (Read 7090 times)

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
Isn't time for a mirrorless medium format camera?
« on: September 19, 2014, 03:16:04 pm »

The advantages and the versatility is mind blowing. Who do you think will come out with one first?

A camera maker with mirrorless experience or a medium format camera maker? Hit first, hit twice.

Eduardo

jerome_m

Re: Isn't time for a mirrorless medium format camera?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 03:23:53 pm »

Tech cams don't have mirrors. The newest cmos based backs have decent live view. Therefore mirrorless MFD cameras are there, aren't they?

Paul80

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 03:54:11 pm »

There is probably not enough competition in the MF digital world to make development costs worth while, There is not enough MF Camera makers or enough MF camera owners.

High volume sales is what generates development.

Paul

Theodoros

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 04:06:08 pm »

The advantages and the versatility is mind blowing. Who do you think will come out with one first?

A camera maker with mirrorless experience or a medium format camera maker? Hit first, hit twice.

Eduardo

"Who will come out first" sounds like you are sure one will do... But none will for several reasons... 1. There should be sensors with good LV that would permit lenses to work at a near to light sensitive distance... (if a lens was to be mounted at current distance you may as well keep the mirror box) there are no such sensors (yet). 2. If sensor problem is solved, one may buy a back and use it on an Alpa or similar... the result will be very similar. 3. If a maker decides to go for a new system with no back added (to reduce size) and provided that there will be a sensor that will work well with short mount to sensor distance... The maker will have to make a new complete line of lenses for the system.... Don't we have enough systems already? ...who is gonna take such a financial risk? ...especially if there is a good chance for the system to be a marketing disaster.

Gigi

• some work
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 05:31:14 pm »

Isn't the Alpa FPS just that?
Geoff

uaiomex

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 09:55:11 pm »

Ok guys, tech-cams, view-cams and the FPS and Hcam have no mirror. In that way they are mirrorless. But that's not what I meant.
Instead I was thinking about a mirrorles Camera from Hasselblad, Pentax, Fuji, Mamiya, etc., with their own line of lenses and dedicated adapters to use many other lenses from other makers.
I was thinking of a manufacturer that already makes mirrorless systems (Fuji, Olympus, Sony, etc) again with their own glass lines.
Technology advancements keep bridging equipment and gadgets all the time now. I wonder for a couple of years who was to be the first manufacturer to come with a real phone/camera hybrid. Wil it be a camera maker or a smartphone maker? Well, it was neither. Actually was a manufacturer that did both already: Panasonic. Smart move.

Eduardo

AldoMurillo

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 12:53:24 am »

I would be my money on Sony first, second and third, pentax and fuji later.  Sony has a long history of spending R&D money on the weirdest projects. In this case I see Sony trying a DMF mirrorless a la RX1 first, with an optical viewfinder as an accessory and later with a EVF and an interchangeable lens mount.  I think they were figuring out the lens mount first when they developed the RX1 and testing the waters.  Sony has the sensor ready and I've always asked myself why would they developed the MF sensor for a small market if they weren't planing to use it for themselves? like with the D800 sensor? ....also they don't mind creating a new lens mount after another and another ;D  ;D  ;D
Aldo Murillo

uaiomex

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 04:35:51 am »

For some of the same reasons, I bet Sony first but Fuji could surprise us all because they were heavily in the MF business and now they are in the mirrorless. So they must have all the resources figured out.

I would be my money on Sony first, second and third, pentax and fuji later.  Sony has a long history of spending R&D money on the weirdest projects. In this case I see Sony trying a DMF mirrorless a la RX1 first, with an optical viewfinder as an accessory and later with a EVF and an interchangeable lens mount.  I think they were figuring out the lens mount first when they developed the RX1 and testing the waters.  Sony has the sensor ready and I've always asked myself why would they developed the MF sensor for a small market if they weren't planing to use it for themselves? like with the D800 sensor? ....also they don't mind creating a new lens mount after another and another ;D  ;D  ;D

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 04:45:59 am »

I'd like to think that Fuji might produce a medium format version of the X100/s/t

Theodoros

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 05:04:37 am »

I'd like to think that Fuji might produce a medium format version of the X100/s/t
They haven't yet offered a FF version... Wouldn't it be more sensible if they do that first?

paul ross jones

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 05:55:30 am »

heres a mirrorless medium format camera-

torger

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 06:15:13 am »

Yes, the Sony CMOS opens up for a mirrorless MF camera in the same style as Sony A7r, ie not a tech cam, but a normal compact mirrorless without movements and with an electronic viewfinder. Problem is that the digital back concept is not really compatible with that, it would make a hopeless bulky camera body, you need to make a mirrorless body with integrated sensor and screen. Thus I see it more likely that Pentax, Fuji or Sony would be first with such a concept rather than Hasselblad or Phase One. But you never know...

Maybe something looking like a Mamiya 7 (which could indeed be compatible with Mamiya 7 lenses) but with a screen and EVF.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 06:17:50 am by torger »

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2014, 07:34:31 am »

Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2014, 08:13:37 am »

iXU150 with iX_Capture

Technically yes, practical, no.  Cost effective maybe.

Having to shoot tethered would be a bit limiting in many folks workflow, especially as mirrorless tends to = smaller and compact.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

yaya

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2014, 08:23:00 am »

Technically yes, practical, no.  Cost effective maybe.

Having to shoot tethered would be a bit limiting in many folks workflow, especially as mirrorless tends to = smaller and compact.

Paul

It takes CF cards as well with Live View on the LCD

Theodoros

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2014, 08:31:24 am »

I wonder... what is the mount to sensor distance on this? ...Knowing this, could lead in more knowledge on the feasibility (or not) of a mirror less MF system... Is it more than an inch?

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2014, 08:55:50 am »

It takes CF cards as well with Live View on the LCD

That's a good point, I forgot about the live view on the LCD. That does change things quite a bit. 

Can it be triggered by hand, non tethered? if so, then yes, I would totally agree.  Actually very small package. 
If the camera could be fired from the LCD, that's actually a very neat solution, as Phase/Leaf already have the high iso needs met, and the optics are there too.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Ken R

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2014, 09:40:58 am »

Eduardo

With the now seemingly readily available 50mp Sony MF CMOS sensor a Medium Format Digital Mirrorless Interchangeable lens camera systems should be quite easy to design and build.

The key advantages of such a system would be a much smaller and lighter camera body but more importantly it would allow to design much smaller and lighter lenses also and of course allow the use of a LOT of existing lenses (with adapters) thanks to the short flange focal distance. Costs should be much lower.

The technology to make such a system is out there. All you really need is a great High Resolution Electronic Viewfinder similar or larger to the one in the Fuji X-T1, a High Res. Rear LCD screen and external buttons and controls in a nice to hold camera body. A nice battery system is also a must. AF would be the biggest hurdle but with the EVF one can have great manual focusing precision with pip and 10x zoom.  
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 09:48:24 am by Ken R »

yaya

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2014, 09:44:27 am »

Paul, the iXU can be triggered by a fairly simply cable release...

Theodoros

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2014, 01:27:32 pm »

Actually the Arri is not mirrorless but rather... mirror missing!!! The mount to sensor distance is the same as a Hasselblad H and the lens line is all rehoused versions of the H line of lenses.
http://petapixel.com/2014/09/21/need-resolution-arri-unveils-6-5k-alexa-65-sensor-three-times-bigger-super35/
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up