Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Schneider 50mm f/2.8 Super Angulon for Nikon: questions  (Read 3101 times)

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
Schneider 50mm f/2.8 Super Angulon for Nikon: questions
« on: September 19, 2014, 09:52:35 am »

I see that this lens has a built-in  Arca-Swiss compatible QR foot. So correct me if I'm wrong -and I know this sounds blindingly obvious- but with the lens mounted to a tripod when the shifting or tilting, the camera body moves relative to the lens axis position and not vice-versa? If so that is a big plus for me.

Also has anyone shot with it on a D800 or even better a D810?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 10:36:46 am by Ellis Vener »

alan_b

• West Coast Architecture + Interiors Photographer
Re: Schneider 50mm f/2.8 Super Angulon for Nikon: questions
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 11:55:11 am »

Ellis,

I tried the 90mm version.  While extremely well-made and great optically, I chose to stick w/ the Nikon 85. 

One thing I wanted it for, especially with the lens-mounted foot, was shift-stitching.  In order to perform a left-center-right stitch, you have to loosen the clamp, rotate the lens 180˚, counter-rotate the camera, then re-tighten the clamp.  In contrast, with the Nikon you shift left and shift right, counter-shifting the body in an A-S clamp.

The optical improvement wasn't enough to overcome the price and cumbersome use for me, YMMV.

Ellis Vener

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 12:04:02 pm »

Alan,
Thank you for the input. It sounds like the Nikkor 85 PC-E is a better option for me as well, especially as I have necessary RRS components.

allegretto

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 01:02:49 pm »

Ellis,

I tried the 90mm version.  While extremely well-made and great optically, I chose to stick w/ the Nikon 85. 

One thing I wanted it for, especially with the lens-mounted foot, was shift-stitching.  In order to perform a left-center-right stitch, you have to loosen the clamp, rotate the lens 180˚, counter-rotate the camera, then re-tighten the clamp.  In contrast, with the Nikon you shift left and shift right, counter-shifting the body in an A-S clamp.

The optical improvement wasn't enough to overcome the price and cumbersome use for me, YMMV.

Gee, why not just center it at half your shift. No other clamping needed. No body shifting either.

I have tried the 90 Schenider thru 3 examples. on every one the controls were so tight it would hurt my hands to change orientation as well as adjustment of degrees of T/S. I thought the 50 would be that way too. but amazing m 50 is butter-smooth. Maintaing the nodal point and such easy reference is wonderful with this lens for that purpose.

alan_b

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 01:56:31 pm »

Gee, why not just center it at half your shift. No other clamping needed. No body shifting either.

Not sure I understand what you're getting at.  Are you talking about using the Schneider or Nikon?

pfigen

• http://www.peterfigen.com
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 02:11:08 pm »

"Gee, why not just center it at half your shift. No other clamping needed. No body shifting either. "

Because then you only get half your shift.

allegretto

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 02:24:57 pm »

"Gee, why not just center it at half your shift. No other clamping needed. No body shifting either. "

Because then you only get half your shift.

No

Do L-R-C it's the same... even if yours goes to 11...

alan_b

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 03:00:22 pm »

The Nikon shifts 23mm total (11.5mm each way).  The Schneider shifts 12mm in only one direction, requiring you to rotate the lens to shift the other direction.

allegretto

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 03:17:32 pm »

The Nikon shifts 23mm total (11.5mm each way).  The Schneider shifts 12mm in only one direction, requiring you to rotate the lens to shift the other direction.

that may be true... I don't have a Nikkor

nonetheless you cannot make a lens shift more than it physically can, regardless of order

I do wonder what size image circle the two lenses project since the 6D hard stops at about 10.5 deg in portrait. you can shift no further

In any case, you're lens mount allows smooth pano-ing because the nodal point is preserved, even without a rail due to the position of the mount.

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2014, 03:23:48 pm »

Lloyd Chambers tested the 50. His example had problems. I tested the 90 and agree with the comments by alan_b and allegretto. In addition you cannot operate these lenses with gloves on. IMO, the Nikon 85 PC-E is easier to use and quite frankly I think the optics are better.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 03:27:45 pm by JohnBrew »

allegretto

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 04:20:48 pm »

looked at Nikon and B&H sites

50mm Schneider has a whopping 80mm image circle. I can't seem to find image circle for Nikkor 45mm

Further, the current 45mm requires "Nikkor Service" to re-orient axis of T/S. The Schneider just requires a tab and a twist for any configuration

I realize the 90 Sch and 85 Nik are different lenses but I own neither and was just referring to my personal experience. In any case they require more shifting for more detail

I will say that when I used the Schneider 90mm the image was amazing. Have not used Nikkors

I tried a 17mm Canon and it was great too, but had a hard time justifying the additional cost since I don't do indoors that much with that type of approach

Not sure why can't use gloves although there are many rings so you must be careful. But that's indicative of the flexibility of the system and not a drawback to me. If it bothers you, use fingerless gloves...
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 04:24:10 pm by allegretto »

allegretto

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2014, 04:32:47 pm »

Back to Ellis

Just used my 50mm Schneider in Yellowstone for pano… it worked beautifully. The Nikon may indeed have more shift degrees but if the image circle is smaller it doesn't mean an advantage in terms of images and stitching. I can tell you that with such a large image circle I could rotate 15-20 degrees per setting and have 50% or more of overlap so I suspect the image circle makes up for some of the limit on shift. As I noted, the shift was limited by physical opening, not the shift itself so it wouldn't matter how much theoretical shift the lens gives… it won't go further anyway.

the nodal point mounting ring makes your set up and rotations much easier and accurate. No rail necessary, no tests to perform

Ellis Vener

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2014, 08:35:53 pm »

I seriously doubt that the image circles of the PC-E Nikkors are any smaller than the ones of the Schneider tilt/shift lenses

allegretto

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2014, 12:35:53 am »

I seriously doubt that the image circles of the PC-E Nikkors are any smaller than the ones of the Schneider tilt/shift lenses

been researching that issue and don't think it's a generic issue

the 24mm Nikkor has a 67mm image circle. Cannot find the spec on the 45mm yet but have found two statements that the lenses have the same mount hardware

the 50mm Schneider is 80 mm

that alone would soak up a great deal of the difference in shift specs

but I hold no claim of expertise… just a learner

robdickinson

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2014, 08:39:41 pm »

I've seen fantastic results from the schneider 50 on nikon. Not sure who is testing it it tests badly but the results are unequivocal.

Theres no degradation on full shift in the corners, the image circle looks in practice huge.

I can link to a number of pano shooters who almost exclusively use this 50

I dont own one myself but the results are very impresive

Scott Hargis

• Scott Hargis Photo
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2014, 06:34:39 pm »

I own this lens for Canon, and shoot with it regularly (architecture, lots of shift). I love it....it's completely awkward to use, relative to the Canon TS lenses, but I find it terrific in every way. Not *quite* as sharp as my Canon 24TS, but that's a high bar anyway.

There does seem to be a big falloff in light transmission as you get further from the center; but sharpness stays great.
Pages: [1]   Go Up