Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 3880 Ink Cartridges  (Read 4492 times)

Len R

Epson 3880 Ink Cartridges
« on: September 18, 2014, 09:25:56 pm »

I've just started using a new 3880, and the prints are superb.  The printer came with a full set of ink cartridges.
The first one to go was the vivid magenta. The printer indicated it was out, and would not print.
So I bought a replacement and installed it.  However, the cartridge I removed, which was supposed to be empty, clearly had a substantial amount of ink left in it.
I could feel the ink sloshing around when I shook the cartridge in my hand.

Given the very high cost of these ink cartridges, is there any way to override the printer's refusal to print, until the ink is REALLY used up?

Would doing so risk damage to the print heads?

Thanks for any help.

Len

JayWPage

• Jay W Page Photography
Re: Epson 3880 Ink Cartridges
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 09:30:27 pm »

My 3880 did that in the first week when I first powered it up. I took the cartridge out and snapped it back in and turned the power off and then back on again. It's worked fine ever since.
Jay W Page

Len R

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 11:06:08 pm »

That was smart, but I didn't think to try that.
Already installed the new cart.
I'll use that trick for the next one that runs out.

Thanks.

Len

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 12:33:41 am »

That was smart, but I didn't think to try that.
Already installed the new cart.
I'll use that trick for the next one that runs out.

Thanks.

Len
Nothing wrong with pulling out the new one and putting the other one back in to try it now (unless you tossed it).

You can also call Epson directly, they often will send a replacement cartridge when something goes awry with the chip on the cartridge.

howardm

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 06:57:16 am »

just as an fyi.......

full cartridge:  150g
empty cart:      75g  (really empty, not 'warning level' empty)

JayWPage

• Jay W Page Photography
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 12:17:39 pm »

full cartridge:  150g
empty cart:      75g  (really empty, not 'warning level' empty)

That suggests that there is 5 ml of residual ink remaining in the cartridge if it started with 80 ml of ink.
Jay W Page

martin archer-shee

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 07:44:30 pm »

I have actually sucked out ink from "empty" cartridges and used it with non-Epson reusable carts.Really a shame that the epson carts are not easy to refill. Notice...easy... I have not tried to refill Epson carts but someone has (search Rodriquez on Youtube). Currently I am using Jon Cones inks (inkjetmall.com) in reusable carts and am very satisfied. Actually mixed some Epson ink from "empty" carts with Jon's and had no colour or other problems.
Martin

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 11:24:09 pm »

That suggests that there is 5 ml of residual ink remaining in the cartridge if it started with 80 ml of ink.
?  Maybe I'm missing something, but this would only apply if 1ml weighed 1g.  Not sure if that's true.

JayWPage

• Jay W Page Photography
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 12:34:29 am »

The specific gravity of 1 ml of water is 1 gram.

I think the carrier fluid of pigment inks probably has a specific gravity of less than 1, or a bit less than water, like many organic solvents, alcohol, benzine, etc.  On the other hand, I am sure the pigments themselves probably have a specific gravity of several times that of the carrier fluid but the amount in suspension probably not that great since the "ink" is still quite liquid.

I would bet that the carrier liquid and pigment both together weigh about 1 gram per ml or not far from it.

However, if someone actually has the data from the manufacturer or the means to determine the specific gravity of the ink, please chime in and let us know.
Jay W Page

Farmer

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 06:25:05 pm »

About 0.9 but really 1:1 is close enough at the amounts involved.

Remember that the carts are designed to NOT run dry - ink is left in there to avoid this, and to cover a reasonable amount of cleaning and so on.  Also, be sure you're replacing when it says they're empty, not when it warns they are low.

As to whether it's bad to actually run dry?  Well, apart from spoiled prints, yes, it's not good for the heads for an extended period.
Phil Brown

Muizen

Re: Epson 3880 Ink Cartridges - weight and refilling
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 07:26:17 am »

Howardm says that an empty Epson OEM cart weight 75 g.
In my experience a really empty cart weights approx. 54 g, completely refilled approx. 154 g.

I have two complete sets of these carts, which I refill, after having modified the one way valves to a two way which allows refilling the Epson Carts, thereby following the technique developed by Joe Rodriguez (jtoolman) on Printerknowledge Forum. Modification is very simple!

The advantage of refilling the Epson cart is that this cart really is top quality and uses a Mylar bag inside for storing ink. In addition after resetting the carts to full, using a chip resetter, one can follow ink consumption on the LCD which is not the case using special re-fill carts which always switch to full when switching  on the Epson 3800.
Pages: [1]   Go Up