Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Fotokina 2014  (Read 21693 times)

deejjjaaaa

Re: Fotokina 2014
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2014, 05:44:33 pm »

I think the I/O bandwidth will be more of an impediment than anything having to do with pixel density.  
may be they will implement a task oriented binning on sensor die... say your camera can operate in landscape mode with 200 mp @ 4 fps or be switchted to action/high ISO gain mode with binning (similar "colored" sensels) 16:1 = 12mp @ 60fps
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 05:46:06 pm by deejjjaaaa »

MoreOrLess

« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2014, 10:35:04 am »

Maybe, but then again the GH4 seems to be selling very well and that is solely because of a good 4K implementation.

I'm not much of a video users so don't really have a great handle on the desired specs/controls for it but the impression I get is that the GH4 is the best handling still/video camera on offer. I won't be supprized if 4K is much more of a draw on that kind of camera aimed at professional use rather than being an add on for something like the 7D2.

Personally my guess is that the 5D4 will be released sometime next year with 4K and general handling aimed more at video use.

More generally speaking, I would also not under estimate the impact of specs on a majority of the camera buying population both for still and motion. In particular in countries such as India where Samsung has a very positive brand image already. It is not because Canon has decided that 22mp is all you'll ever need that buyers won't be attracted by 28mp.

Again for me I'm not sure how much of a black mark this is for the 7D2 as that camera seems to be aimed mostly as those wanting tele reach so its really pixel density rather than resolution your talking about so the 1.5 vs 1.6 crop means the difference isn't as great as the 20 MP vx 28 MP specs make it sound.

janus

« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2014, 12:52:27 pm »

Any film and/or digital panoramic cameras there?

tjv

« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2014, 04:55:35 pm »

In the interests of balanced reporting, it'd be good to read a considered writeup about Hasselblad's announcements etc. rather than just a since picture of their Lunar. After all, they have properly opened up their H5X camera system and implemented live view and wi-fi in the H5D-50c, not to mention issued firmware to upgrade the new CFV-50c to implement live view. Maybe they plan to do it in their final post?

michael

« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2014, 02:12:03 am »

There may have been something that used film, but we didn't see it.

There were some smaller halls and back rooms that we didn't have time to visit, so I can't say for certain.

Michael

michael

« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2014, 02:49:21 am »

In the interests of balanced reporting, it'd be good to read a considered writeup about Hasselblad's announcements etc. rather than just a since picture of their Lunar. After all, they have properly opened up their H5X camera system and implemented live view and wi-fi in the H5D-50c, not to mention issued firmware to upgrade the new CFV-50c to implement live view. Maybe they plan to do it in their final post?

Well, balanced reporting isn't something that we ever claimed to do.

We report on things that interest us, and we report on companies that reach out to us and ask us to visit. Among those that don't particularly appeal this year are Nikon, Canon, Hasselblad and about 100 others...for the reasons above, and because none had anything terribly exciting for us to report on. We don't do product announcements and we don't do press releases. Sites like DPReview do a great job for those. We're looking for things that are innovative and exciting.

In a show that covers more than 1,000 exhibitors spread over 11 giant exhibition halls it's also impossible to see everything and everyone.

Hasselblad used to have a great representative who would always stay in touch. Now...silence. So, since we didn't see anything terribly exciting at their booth, and no one there seemed terribly excited to talk to us, we moved on.

Michael

barryfitzgerald

« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2014, 06:26:01 am »

The LX100 looked interesting as more compact makers move to bigger sensors higher up the range
I don't think it was a bad show from what I can see maybe no killer "wow" stuff but not bad.

LKaven

« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2014, 06:37:24 am »

Look at this sample 4K video from the NX1.  Frames downsampled from 28MP full pixel reads.  Look at the detail retention in the grass...and the fur! 

Last video in the group.  Be sure to set your player for 4K quality.  Best on a 1080HD or better screen.

http://photorumors.com/2014/09/15/samsung-nx1-camera-50-150mm-f2-8-ed-ois-s-lens-detailed-specification-sample-photos-4k-video/

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2014, 02:40:57 pm »

Wow.  Just wow. 

- N.
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

David Mantripp

• :: snowhenge dot net ::
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2014, 03:49:47 pm »

There may have been something that used film, but we didn't see it.

There were some smaller halls and back rooms that we didn't have time to visit, so I can't say for certain.

Michael

So I guess you're not lining up a year of shooting only film with a 35mm lens then ? :-)
--
David Mantripp

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2014, 04:03:32 pm »

That is OK great, IMHO.

Erik

Well, balanced reporting isn't something that we ever claimed to do.

Erik Kaffehr

michael

« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2014, 04:17:53 pm »

Wow.  Just wow. 

- N.

The NX1 is the sleeper of the show. It ticks every box.

If its performance meets its specs the big boys better starts being concerned, because the game of doling out annual incremental model improvements just went broke.

Michael

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2014, 04:25:46 pm »

Nice to hear!

Best regards
Erik

If its performance meets its specs the big boys better starts being concerned, because the game of doling out annual incremental model improvements just went broke.

Michael

Erik Kaffehr

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2014, 05:58:43 pm »

Look at this sample 4K video from the NX1.  Frames downsampled from 28MP full pixel reads.  Look at the detail retention in the grass...and the fur! 

Last video in the group.  Be sure to set your player for 4K quality.  Best on a 1080HD or better screen.
Very, very impressive, though playback was stuttery on my machine. Even after letting it download fully, but then YouTube in general is pants I find. Shame it doesn't appear to be on Vimeo.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

DaveCurtis

• http://www.magiclight.co.nz
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2014, 09:51:22 pm »

Michael

+1

Osprey

« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2014, 10:21:03 pm »

It's getting tiresome hearing about how innovation is the key to the photo industry, how these mirrorless offerings are going to eat Canon and Nikon's lunch some day real soon now.

Meanwhile no one ever mentions that the entire Sony corporation is in the process of cratering, that Olympus is seeing declining Micro 4-3rds sales year over year, and that Samsung, the company whose crappy P&S I took on a vacation when I was 18 and is famous for rebadging Pentax bodies and putting out invisible mirrorless offerings, is now going to take over photography.  Right.

Telecaster

« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2014, 11:49:21 pm »

CaNikon Forever!

Flipping Mirrors Forever!

PD-AF (& Sloppy Mechanical Tolerances) Forever!

New Technologies Never!

Nothing Must Change!

;D

-Dave-

lelouarn

« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2014, 02:57:13 am »

I would have enjoyed a bit more of reporting from the medium format world and tech cams in particular. There are pictures of Arca Swiss and Alpa booths, but a little bit more in-depth look would have been nice.
That's the kind of info that's hard to find, and a critical eye at their products would have been really interesting (and it's even harder to find).
But I understand that the public for that kind of gear is small, and it takes precious time...
I just hope in general for this kind of coverage here at LL.

michael

« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2014, 03:08:40 am »

It's getting tiresome hearing about how innovation is the key to the photo industry, how these mirrorless offerings are going to eat Canon and Nikon's lunch some day real soon now.

Meanwhile no one ever mentions that the entire Sony corporation is in the process of cratering, that Olympus is seeing declining Micro 4-3rds sales year over year, and that Samsung, the company whose crappy P&S I took on a vacation when I was 18 and is famous for rebadging Pentax bodies and putting out invisible mirrorless offerings, is now going to take over photography.  Right.

Thanks for putting words in my mouth. Also, Sony's camera and sensor division are one of the brighter spots in their corporate portfolio.

And if you look at the history of corporate ascendancy and then fall, do I need to even mention Polaroid, Kodak, GM, Xerox and countless others when one considers Canon, and Nikon's potential futures? Countries rise and fall, and so do companies. Samsung may not be the next big thing, but they are a wealthily and aggressive company. Bigger surprises have happened.

One can either look at these things from a global business / economic perspective or as a fanboy of a particular brand. The latter approach won't get much sympathy from me here.

Michael

LKaven

« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2014, 04:00:15 am »

Thanks for putting words in my mouth.

Somehow you made sense out of that.  I couldn't even find a grammatical sentence in it.

Samsung has become a worldwide industry leader, just as has Hyundai.  They can do anything they set their mind to at this point.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up