Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom simple slideshow  (Read 5421 times)

orc73

Lightroom simple slideshow
« on: September 16, 2014, 12:39:05 pm »

Hi

Probably I'm just to stupid. But all the years I'm using and learning Lightroom I'm still not able to run a simple(!) fullscreen(!) Slideshow in LR :)
I really would like to run a slideshow after shootings so customer can get an overview without having to stick on the screen.

first, how is it possible to run a slideshow in fullscreen mode?

second, everytime I try to run a simple slideshow, lightroom takes forever(like sereval minutes) to make a "preview". Why does it needs to make a preview each times, after working in Lightroom on them I assume it has previews already, so why does it not just use them?
If I start a slide show again later, it's again "preparing previews".

I expect this is one of the basic thing a program with a picture library should be able to handle.

Thanks if somebody can help!

RikkFlohr

• Adobe, Inc. - Photography Products
    • Rikk Flohr's Website
Re: Lightroom simple slideshow
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 12:57:15 pm »

F - to go to full screen
[Ctrl/Cmd][Enter] to start impromptu slideshow
Rikk Flohr
Quality Engineer Customer Advocate - Photography Products
Adobe

orc73

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 01:56:14 pm »

Thanks for your answer!
I work on laptop, attached the screen, where I use Lightroom.
If I hit F and cmd/enter, the slideshow will start(still generating previews, I don't understand why, as the library should have them already in the meantime). On the small laptop screen. I almost feel like somebody at adobe is making fun out of me :)
How can I change that?

jferrari

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 08:04:03 am »

(still generating previews, I don't understand why, as the library should have them already in the meantime).

LightRoom has to render the frames used by transitions and any text overlays you may have chosen. It's not as simple as you think, making a video out of a bunch of still images. Be patient, have a glass of wine...
Nothing changes until something changes.

RikkFlohr

• Adobe, Inc. - Photography Products
    • Rikk Flohr's Website
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 10:46:49 am »

Lightroom renders previews for the various sizes in Library. It also renders previews (Cache) for the Develop module. The previews for the Slideshow module or the impromptu slideshow are of a different size and purpose. In addition to what the previous poster said, statistically, very few images are ever shown in a slideshow so it doesn't make sense to pre-render them.
Rikk Flohr
Quality Engineer Customer Advocate - Photography Products
Adobe

orc73

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 02:25:24 pm »

common guys we are talking about a slideshow. :)
Not a video, not flash, no sound(though even iphoto actually does that too, instantly)
You don't need to protect adobe in that one, in case they just screw on such a simple feature.

Even preview in mac can run a slideshow. Heck programs almost years ago were able to play the pictures in a folder after hitting a key instantly.
Is there any setting, Lightroom can use the preview images?

I don't need not text, I don't need no video of that, I don't need to export it to see on another computer, I want so see my pure preview pictures.
And I don't understand if I stop the slideshow, it needs to generate files again.

I just need to see and automatic view of the preview pictures in a folder.

Anyway now that LR plays the files on the laptop screen(which I never use for LR), while my main screen goes black is another great trick by adobe :)

Adam L

• http://adamlozo.com
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 02:35:05 pm »

This seems like user error to me.   Have you watched the LuLa tutorials on LR?
"That's a lot of money to move a few pix

Tony Jay

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 07:26:34 pm »

If you really want a fullscreen preview then ignore Slideshow.

Just select the images that you want to preview, say an entire shoot from a particular day or the contents of a collection.
Go to the first image.
Press 'F' and that image immediately goes to fullscreen.
Navigate forwards or backwards using the arrow keys.
(I initially forgot this too: L-clicking on that image will magnify if it to 1:1, L-click again to reverse this.)
Afterwards press 'F' again for normal operations.

Simple!

Tony Jay

PS: I routinely do this to evaluate every image from every shoot I do.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 07:34:53 pm by Tony Jay »

sertsa

• some of my photos
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 10:03:26 pm »

In versions prior to LR5, the slideshow would just start and everything was done on the fly.  There was a checkbox to have lightroom build previews before the slideshow started, but I never found it necessary, slideshows with 1000's of images were smooth.  In LR5 building the previews is mandatory, this has made the slideshow module useless for the things I was using it for.  Was not happy to pay for that downgrade.

If we can see the image change in realtime as sliders are dragged in the Develop module, certainly a static slideshow slide can be prepared every 5 seconds (an eternity to a computer), agreed, don't make excuses for this.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 10:12:04 pm by sertsa »
Pages: [1]   Go Up