Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aperture to Capture One 8  (Read 20933 times)

StuartOnline

• Travels Photographer Stuart Schaefer
Aperture to Capture One 8
« on: September 16, 2014, 12:33:09 pm »

According to Cnet http://www.cnet.com/news/phase-ones-updated-image-editor-throws-apple-aperture-users-a-lifeline/ with the new version 8 of Capture One released today you able to import Aperture into C1.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
Re: Aperture to Capture One 8
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 07:26:52 pm »

That is a very smart move. I prefer Capture One to Lightroom anyway. Must check it out though I will probably continue to use Aperture at least in parallel until it dies.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Daniel Salazar

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 10:45:03 pm »

I did import my Aperture Library into C1 v. 8 and it was done in a fast way and without any trouble.

ButchM

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 09:20:15 am »

I did import my Aperture Library into C1 v. 8 and it was done in a fast way and without any trouble.

How well did it convert image adjustments made in Aperture?

Are you pleased with the results?

Daniel Salazar

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 07:54:04 am »

hi Stuart, being honest to you, I really don't know, I really even know any correction when with them, I just care about the Library I've created and keywords. I am just concentrating myself with unprocessed files. I was compering results between Aperture, C1 and Lightroom, as a a Nikon shooter must tell you that in C1 colours are more vibrant.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 02:00:31 am »

Ok. A few tweaks getting it to instal as not a recognised developer, which seems strange.
Anyway, I'm underway in the import from Aperture. Pleased that it can have the catalogue on a server like Aperture. Lightroom can't do that which was a showstopper..

Import says "less than a minute" then after about 3 hours it went to 6580 hours for 58000 images.
Just clicked "Skip all" for the missing files and it's now down to 3000 hours. Hopefully will pick up now.

Daniel Salazar

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 07:44:51 am »

hi Bob, maybe you should install it again, when using C1 v7 it used to take ages importing a 30k images, with v8 I tried different catalog import, one from Aperture and one from Lightroom, both were done in within minutes, because I didn't move the files. Preview building and import metadata will take some hours, however the catalog structure should go really fast.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2014, 02:53:33 pm »

Ok. A few tweaks getting it to instal as not a recognised developer, which seems strange.
Anyway, I'm underway in the import from Aperture. Pleased that it can have the catalogue on a server like Aperture. Lightroom can't do that which was a showstopper..

Don't worry about the "recognized developer" BS. That's just Apple trying to push everyone to their Mac App Store so they can take a cut of the sale.

Not sure if this is what you're doing already, but even if you want to put the catalogue itself on a server at-some-point I suggest you build the catalog locally and then move it.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2014, 07:38:09 pm »

Thanks Doug. I have the catalogue on the server in the same place as the originals. That way I can use the same catalogue on different machines as long as each has the application. It is actually an external drive on the server so I can plug it straight into a machine if I needed. (Doh! should have done that before I started. Is there a stop and resume?).

I don't want to move the catalogue as I would then break the links to the originals. After overnight it is now down to 3300 images of 58000 - About 320 hours left.

ButchM

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2014, 11:28:40 pm »

Don't worry about the "recognized developer" BS. That's just Apple trying to push everyone to their Mac App Store so they can take a cut of the sale.

Editorializing is fine, but it should be even handed. BS can originate from many sources.

Apple offers the service to developers both inside and outside the Mac App Store the opportunity to be "recognized developers" Developers only need to follow the guidelines and apply for confirmation for their apps to be able to become "recognized" ...  Developers are not required to participate in utilizing the App Store in order to receive the confirmation. It's nothing more than Apple looking out for it's customers so users are more sure the apps they are installing are safe. Apple also offers users the ability to turn off such warnings in System Preferences to avoid them completely if they are so inclined.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2014, 07:10:42 am »

The application stopped responding at the import of image 31675 for the second occasion. Is there a limit? I sent a crash report to PhaseOne.

Daniel Salazar

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2014, 12:25:29 pm »

nope, but you might be dealing with an installation problem, I would recommend you to do a clean deinstall and install it all over again. Same issue happened to me with C1 v 7, with v8 it imported a lot more than 30k images and was, as already mentioned, really fast and problem free.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2014, 06:05:03 pm »

I tried to delete the failed Aperture imports from yesterday and application hangs trying to create previews. No way to stop it.

Also it asks you if you want to delete the original files and the default is Yes. If I clicked that I could easily have deleted 60% of my life’s work. Pretty bad.
(Yes I have backups, but that is irrelevant. Also backups only work if you realise you have lost something. After a while the incorrect backups will overwrite the correct ones.)

I am reasonably technical, but I am not a geek. The installation was to simply drag the folder to the application folder alias. Repeating that did not fix it. I am not about to go hunting in the Libraries to fix a trial version. It is a good step but I think I need to follow the time proven practice of passing on the Point Zero and waiting for the Point 1. There are a few tweaks needed.

CatOne

• http://blloyd.smugmug.com
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2014, 11:59:14 pm »

No it's not. It's Apple checking for cryptographically signed applications to ensure you're not installing malware on your machine.

There are two ways, by default, for software to work with Gatekeeper without the user having to manually override it:

1) The software can come from the Mac App Store - in this case, it's signed and Apple does get their 30% cut
2) The developer can sign the app themselves. They have to be a registered Mac developer and it costs $100/year to maintain the certificate - in this case there is NO cost to the end user and Apple takes no "per sale" cost.

For a developer to do neither of these and just distribute unsigned applications is sloppy at best, and a potential malware risk at worst, and indicates a developer that's lazy and not concerned with my safety as a user.

StuartOnline

• Travels Photographer Stuart Schaefer
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2014, 12:04:52 pm »

I have been running both Aperture and Lightroom and have them setup on two different Thunderbolt Drives. The drives are connected to a MacBook Pro 15" 2.6 GHz Core I7 Retina Display (June 2012) with 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3 Ram with 512 Flash drive and 1GB video ram.  Today I decide to import the Aperture Library using the Capture One Pro 8 built in feature: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IylO2Hxegkg. So far everything is going smoothly, however it looks like it will take a while to complete this process. I have over 73,000 images within Aperture Library. As it states in the video no images are move and stay in their current location. When this processes is completed I plan to do the same with my Lightroom Library. Now if everything works accordingly when completed I will be able to access images from both Aperture and Lightroom in one place by using Capture One Pro 8. Will then be able to make any edits and or updates to images in one location. 

Stu
Pages: [1]   Go Up