Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: H5D-50c Wi-Fi announcement  (Read 14964 times)

Paul_Claesson_HasselbladUS

• http://www.hasselbladusa.com
H5D-50c Wi-Fi announcement
« on: September 16, 2014, 10:01:29 am »

The new model – a feature-rich upgrade to the H5D-50c CMOS unit launched earlier this year – provides photographers with more freedom than ever before, thanks to an innovative Wi-Fi module.

The H5D-50c with Wi-Fi makes it possible for users to fully control the camera and browse/view images on iPhone/iPad on location via Phocus Mobile software, without the need for a computer. It also features a ‘Live View’ function, allowing photographers to see and zoom in on a live image on the rear LCD even when the camera is untethered.

The new model will be available first in Europe at the end of November and will retail at $28,500 excl. tax.

Michele Channer, Hasselblad International Sales Director said: “When we launched the new H5D-50c CMOS camera earlier this year we promised photographers ultimate image quality,
regardless of lighting conditions. Now we have developed a unique Wi-Fi upgrade for this camera enabling photographers to work unplugged but still very much connected.”

She added: “Now users can enjoy total freedom – direct camera control and image browsing, without a computer in sight. Our innovative ‘Live View’ functionality is another first for us. Previously photographers could not directly see at the back what they could see through the lens.
And of course this new model boasts all the functionality of its sibling, including a 50Mpixel CMOS sensor and excellent high ISO performance at up to ISO 6400.”

New features on the H5D-50c with Wi-Fi include:

- Wi-Fi: Control the camera and browse/ view images on iPhone or iPad, even on location.

- Live View: See a live image on the rear LCD even when the camera is untethered.

- Capture rate: The capture rate now enables 50 captures per minute.

- Longest exposure time: The longest shutter speed is now 34 minutes. And no extra black exposure is necessary.

- Film: Now you can use film magazines on the H5D-50c.

- Spirit level: Employ the built-in electronic spirit level even in tethered mode.

- Display modes: Select different display modes even when the camera is tethered.

- ISO and White Balance: Settings now available on viewfinder display.

Between January and March 2015 Hasselblad is offering photographers the opportunity to upgrade their H5D-50c model for the new Wi-Fi version for $1,000.
All new features (except Wi-Fi) will be available to H5D-50c and CFV-50c owners as a firmware upgrade shortly after the photokina trade show event.

http://www.hasselbladusa.com/news1/2014-09-16_h5d-50c_wi-fi.aspx
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 08:10:01 am by Paul_Claesson_HasselbladUS »
Paul Claesson
Technical Support Manager
Hasselblad Hasselblad Bron Inc.
support@hasselbladbron.com or
pclaesson@hasselbladbron.com
800-367-6434 x303

The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of Hasselblad.

torger

Re: H5D-50c Wi-Fi announcent
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 10:05:15 am »

Live view directly in the untethered back is great news. I wasn't sure if Hasselblad's digital back platform had the performance to do it, but here it is, that's nice!

Any indications of what the quality of this live view is? Is it as good as any modern DSLR, ie ~30 frames per second, and almost "night vision" in low light? Or is it only a few frames per second and only working in a narrow ISO range?

hexx

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 10:07:07 am »

now the CFV would make more sense with having live view on it - will you be able to use magnification or are there any other manual focus aids?

JV

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 10:31:48 am »

Good announcement from Hasselblad!  Better value than Phase One or Leica IMO.

Re: H5D-50c Wi-Fi announcment
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 12:03:24 pm »

Any indications of what the quality of this live view is? Is it as good as any modern DSLR, ie ~30 frames per second, and almost "night vision" in low light? Or is it only a few frames per second and only working in a narrow ISO range?
I have not had an opportunity to test the H5D50c WiFi camera first hand with Live View. I will say the Live Video with the H5D50c (CMOS) when tethered (Phocus) is most impressive.
I will confirm with our corporate office what the fps is, i hesitate to provide inaccurate information.
Paul Claesson
800-367-6434 x303

The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of Hasselblad.

Enda Cavanagh

• http://www.endacavanagh.com
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 12:21:46 pm »

Great news and great to see Hasselblad getting their ass in gear. Now for a new larger sensor back that can work properly on view cameras. At least it's a right step. Really excited to see examples of 34 minute exposures without a dark frame. That is huge

stevenf

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 02:13:23 pm »

I agree great to see live view and wifi on a hasselblad. I am still on the fence on upgrading my H4D 50 - not sure about the crop of 1.3 on my lenses, curious about battery life and still the same old LCD on the back. Not sure why they are using the LCD that is so old. Minor issue I guess. I would like more MP and may wait for the next round to upgrade. I mostly sell panoramic images from my Horseman so I can be patient.

Steven
http://www.friedmanphoto.com

Joe Towner

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 04:02:51 pm »

Possible that the H5D-50c actually shipped with what turned into the H5X body?  Interesting to see if Phase backs will work on it :D
t: @PNWMF

bdp

• http://www.bendearnleyphotography.com
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 04:26:04 pm »

- Capture rate: The capture rate now enables 50 captures per minute.

Why has the capture rate dropped from the original 50c which was listed as 1.5 fps to the above?

NickT

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 06:17:12 pm »

Ben I imagine it was 1.5fps until you hit a buffer..

bdp

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 06:40:27 pm »

Thanks Nick.

Chris Gahran

Re: H5D-50c Wi-Fi announcement
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2014, 08:23:06 pm »

New back is 50 captures per minute. That's 1.2 fps and that's faster than the original 50C which is 1.5 fps.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 08:26:17 pm by Chris Gahran »

bdp

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2014, 08:28:24 pm »

Hi Chris,

Surely 1.2 fps is 72 captures per minute? If you can only do 50 captures in 60 seconds each capture would have to be longer than one second, so thats about 0.9 fps. A bit mind bending I know... The original was 1.5 fps which would be 90 captures per minute. Or have I got this totally wrong?!

Ben

robdickinson

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2014, 09:24:15 pm »

Your right Ben.

But often the cameras buffer isnt big enough to keep shooting at the highest frame rate. Guessing you get 1.5 fps for a bit, then some slowdown.

TechTalk

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2014, 10:08:30 pm »

The Frames Per Second rate is 1.5 FPS on both versions of the H5D-50c.

The Continuous Sustained Capture Rate combines the Frames Per Second rate + Memory Buffer + Write Speed of the Camera + Write Speed of the Memory Card in use. This is the "Captures Per Minute" rating. It gives you a guide as to what to expect if you keep shooting continuously for a minute.

The H5D-50c with the initial firmware was specified at 1.5 FPS / 35 Captures Per Minute

The new firmware is specified at 1.5 FPS / 50 Captures Per Minute. In other words, the new firmware has the same 1.5 FPS rate with an improved sustained capture rate.

I am assuming that the new firmware increases the write speed from the camera to the card. Please note that this will vary with the CF card used. You will need a fast card to maximize the continuous sustained capture rate.
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

orc73

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2014, 07:21:46 am »

Is the wifi connection to the ipad/iphone direct? Or does it need to have an existing wifi running?

This would be really helpfull at outdoor shootings, where I don't like to bring the computer tethered(which causes me problems at cable shake in phocus).
And it would pay a little bit off for the crappy screen of the H5d series(hello, we are in 2014, and pay 27kUSD for this piece).

Chris Gahran

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2014, 03:39:49 am »

Whoops! You're right, it's 1.2 seconds per capture (spc) and not 1.2 fps. No Hasselblad (that I know about) shoots 1 fps (60 images per minute) but are usually 1.5 spc or 35-40 images per minute.

Chris
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 03:11:02 am by Chris Gahran »

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2014, 08:38:21 am »

Possible that the H5D-50c actually shipped with what turned into the H5X body?  Interesting to see if Phase backs will work on it :D

Hasselblad started shipping H5D40 and H5D50 cameras on January 31, 2013 and started shipping the H5D50c on March 3, 2014.
The H5X is an update from the H4X camera and will accept third party digital backs from Leaf and Phase as well as the HM16-32 film magazine and H5D digital magazine.

H5D50c Press release

H5D press release
Paul Claesson
800-367-6434 x303

Theodoros

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2014, 09:06:00 am »

Hasselblad started shipping H5D40 and H5D50 cameras on January 31, 2013 and started shipping the H5D50c on March 3, 2014.
The H5X is an update from the H4X camera and will accept third party digital backs from Leaf and Phase as well as the HM16-32 film magazine and H5D digital magazine.

H5D50c Press release

H5D press release
Will they be selling the H5 backs with an H5X camera if one prefers the H5X than the dedicated body? ...Will they sell the H5 backs (especially the 50ms-c and 200ms-c) as separate products for those that want to use the backs on a view camera?

douglevy

• New England Wedding Photographer Doug Levy
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2014, 10:12:16 am »

@paul - any idea when these and the X will ship?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up