Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase One: Photokina 2014; C1v8, IQ150, Alpa Alliance, P+ Upgrade, Warranty Info  (Read 10213 times)

Manoli

So there is a capture one express sony version (free to some sony camera owners) and capture one pro (sony)

Judging from the page you've linked to, C1 Express( for Sony) is a very limited subset of C1Pro, with no support for adjusting the cam during a tethering session. Am I correct in assuming that the full C1 Pro edition will offer full tethered support or is it a link-in via the Sony RemoteCameraControl app ..  anyone ?

MrSmith

A bit more reading on the phase one site and it seems there is a pro version (sony) that is a relatively cheap upgrade from the express (sony) version that will have profiles and allow tethering for sony cameras only.
You can upgrade from the free (sony) C1 express version to C1 pro (supports long list of cameras not just sony) but it's a lot more money.

gazwas

The documentation for C1 Pro 8 (full version) states tether support for Sony cameras.

trying to think of something meaningful........ Err?

Manoli

You can upgrade from the free (sony) C1 express version to C1 pro (supports long list of cameras not just sony) but it's a lot more money.

I'm on an EU site, but the upgrade price I'm seeing from any prior version of C1Pro (3-7) AND for C1 Express, LE, Leica Capture or Scandisk license to C1 Pro 8. is 69 euros in both cases. Seems aggressive pricing to gain additional market penetration ... great, no complaints !

The higher px for the free C1(Sony) to C1 Pro is understandable ..

MrSmith

And the upgrade from express sony (free) to pro sony only is only €23
A bargain.

JV

There seems to be one limitation with the tethering support for Sony:
"Currently not possible to change camera settings while shooting tethered"

Also Leica seems to have fallen of the list of supported cameras altogether… Is the Leica M indeed no longer supported by Capture One?
http://www.phaseone.com/en/Imaging-Software/Capture-One/Supported-cameras.aspx

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com

So there is a capture one express sony version (free to some sony camera owners) and capture one pro (sony)
So are there 2 different versions of capture one pro? The sony version having different profiles?
I own and use C1 and will upgrade to 8 but reading this looks like there are different versions

8 Pro = Every Feature. Every Camera.
8 DB = Every Feature. Only Team Phase One Cameras.
8 Pro [Sony] = Every Feature. Only Sony Cameras and Phase One Cameras.
8 Express [Sony] = Only some features. Only Sony Cameras and Phase One Cameras.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com

Also Leica seems to have fallen of the list of supported cameras altogether… Is the Leica M indeed no longer supported by Capture One?
http://www.phaseone.com/en/Imaging-Software/Capture-One/Supported-cameras.aspx

Raw files from 14 Leica Cameras are officially supported.

https://digitaltransitions.com/page/technical-information

JV

Raw files from 14 Leica Cameras are officially supported.

https://digitaltransitions.com/page/technical-information

Thanks for clarifying Doug!

JoeKitchen

Capture One 8 requires Mac OS X 10.9.x! 10.8.x and earlier is not supported. 10.10 (Yosemite) is not supported at this time.

Interesting.  I guess I will hold off on upgrading then for a while...

Yes, but I started using C1 v8 today, and it is much better than v7.  I see a very big difference with how the highlights are handled with regards to recovery and maintaining smooth gradients. 

Yesterday I shot a patio image with the camera (almost) aimed towards the son.  I got a halo around a tree in the image from really pulling the highlights and sky down.  After upgrading to C1 v8 and changing the engine to #8, the halo completely disappeared.  I am also getting much better highlight recovery in my windows. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net

Awesomeness.  I can confirm A7r tethering in the Pro version.  I didn't see this in any of the Beta versions.  What a nice surprise!  No more Sony software! 

MrSmith

Awesomeness.  I can confirm A7r tethering in the Pro version.  I didn't see this in any of the Beta versions.  What a nice surprise!  No more Sony software! 

And the live view? (On computer screen) is it working o.k.

Manoli

And the live view? (On computer screen) is it working o.k.

I'm not seeing any LV on the computer screen. I'm tethering with approx 3-second delay after the first capture. Also, C1 seems to be using the mac_os Image Capture to connect to the A7. No camera control on screen.

Compared to Lightroom with a hot folder, not much difference after the first (C1 quicker) import - thereafter they both flow well - no delays. The Lr solution has the advantage of using the Sony RCC app which does give you camera control.

Am I missing something ?

MrSmith

I'm not seeing any LV on the computer screen. I'm tethering with approx 3-second delay after the first capture. Also, C1 seems to be using the mac_os Image Capture to connect to the A7. No camera control on screen.

Compared to Lightroom with a hot folder, not much difference after the first (C1 quicker) import - thereafter they both flow well - no delays. The Lr solution has the advantage of using the Sony RCC app which does give you camera control.

Am I missing something ?

are you a new user to C1? you have to sort out turning off the auto launching of various apps when you plug a camera in, i think mac image capture is trying to take over importing images , the live view in C1 is a separate window/button.

Manoli

are you a new user to C1?

on mac and tethering - totally ! thanks
with image_capture(mac) disabled C1 tethers, but no live view with the A7r.
LV window is giving me a 'Selected Camera does not support Live View' .. 
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 10:17:17 am by Manoli »

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net

No Live View and P1 themselves say no camera control yet, though you can fire the shutter.  The big thing for me now is auto applying settings from previous captures, it was a pain to have to select every new capture that came in and then paste then settings.  Changing camera settings isn't a big deal for me, I never even did it through the Sony software because it was so much slower than just doing it manually.

MrSmith

shame the live-view on the laptop doesn't work but it’s not a deal breaker as i rarely used it on the canon, was sometimes useful for moving things on set and being able to look across to the monitor.

Manoli

Thanks for the conformation CB.

No Live View and P1 themselves say no camera control yet, though you can fire the shutter.  The big thing for me now is auto applying settings from previous captures ...

FWIW, this is what I've been doing in a Lightroom hot folder combined with the FolderWatch plugin.

Manoli

Perhaps someone from Phase can clarify what IS currently supported and what WILL BE supported in the near future. Current offering doesn't really warrant the 'tethered support' moniker - little difference, if any, from a hot folder in Lightroom.

MrSmith

Perhaps someone from Phase can clarify what IS currently supported and what WILL BE supported in the near future. Current offering doesn't really warrant the 'tethered support' moniker - little difference, if any, from a hot folder in Lightroom.

it’s still tethering though isn’t it. no other app to run and switch between. would rather use C1-8 than 7 and the sony app with watched folder.
the big difference between a watched folder in lightroom is what the files look like ;)
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up