Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Images from China  (Read 14494 times)

Bill in WV

Images from China
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2005, 09:47:33 am »

Bill,

I have a show planned at the Pikto gallery again this coming March. Details to come early in the new year.

It will contain my work from China as well as Antartica (coming up next week),

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=51858\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Michael,

So far, I am only tied up on the first weekend in March, but it involves a trip to Ohio which might make for a closer jumping off point than down here in WV. Either way, I'm blocking off the rest of March until I see the dates of your show.

Thanks for the reply.

Bill Evans in WV
Bill Evans
 Currently shooting with Canon

Julian Love

Images from China
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2005, 04:07:08 pm »

I also think this is an excellent photograph. I went to Yangshao in 2001 and I don't have any pictures of the fishermen as good as this!

pbizarro - to reiterate Michaels point, much of travel (and dicumentary) photography is not about spontenaity at all....many more shots are "set up" than most people realise. Waiting for the moment is fine for a hobbyist on holiday, but for working pros they set up shots all the time. That's just how you make sure you get the shot.

As with Kevin, I would be curious to understand people's thoughts about this kind of thing...and how they have gone about it themselves.

Julian

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Images from China
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2005, 08:22:36 pm »

............paying local villagers so that they can stage the shots for you, I can not agree with that. ...........

Pbizarro - you can stage the event but you can't stage the photograph. Just look at the timing, the composition, the lighting and the exposure. It really couldn't be better. Apart from the fact that all kinds of images are "managed" in different ways for different purposes at different stages of the creative process and nobody complains, put eight photographers in front of the same thing and you will get eight different photos, some better than others. What counts is the artistic value of the result.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

katemann

Images from China
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2005, 07:17:19 pm »

Exactly my take on the shot. So sorry to hear that the sailor and the girl were a set up but there you go ...

I am looking forward to the China trip showing up on the VJ!

David Mantripp

• :: snowhenge dot net ::
Images from China
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2005, 09:25:19 am »

Interestingly, a friend of mine was in the same place around the same time. Looking at her results, it is notable how different photographers approach things in different ways:

http://homepage.mac.com/alex.photo/PhotoAlbum112.html

(or indeed TOTALLY different ways, if you're into that sort of thing:
http://homepage.mac.com/alex.photo/PhotoAlbum110.html)
--
David Mantripp
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up