Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suddenly having to crank saturation way up in LR with my 3880 - any ideas why?  (Read 719 times)

AFairley

It seems that all of a sudden I'm having to add 25 to 30 points of saturation over what I used to have to used in LR to get prints with a 3880 on Exhibition Fiber to match what I see on my calibrated Dell 2209WA.  The image on the monitor has to look really garish in order to print with realistically saturated colors.  At first I thought I might have accidentally dialed down the ink density setting in the printer driver (I have a preset set up in the driver that I choose), but as far as I can tell everything is the same as it always has been, both in the driver settings and in LR.  If I soft proof an image with the amped up saturation, the soft proof still looks oversaturated and nothing like the resulting print.  If I print the image to Premium Luster, its the same thing, so it does not seem to be a problem with the printer profile (I am using the canned Epson profiles.)  The image displays and soft proofs the same in Photoshop and prints the same from Photoshop, so it doesn't look like a Lightroom problem.  (NB, LR/Photoshop is managing colors not the driver, and I have double checked that I am not double profiling.)

I can't check the monitor calibration since I'm away from home base for a few months and don't have the calibration gear with me, but as I recall, calibration did not affect the color balance or saturation on the monitor that much....  Nor can I reprint an old image for comparison since I'm not at home. 

Any idea what is going on here?

howardm

windows or mac?

I suppose you could try reloading the printer driver or something similar.  Cant say I've ever seen/heard of such an issue.

AFairley

Windows 7.  BTW monitor's overall brightness is a good match for prints, so this is not a "why are my prints too dark" issue, it's a saturation issue.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com

The fact that it seemed to happen suddenly is odd.  Seems most likely that something has gone awry in the printing pipeline, profile or driver.  Could even be a system issue.

I would find a reference image such as digitaldogs or outbackphoto.com to verify whether it's a display or printing pipeline problem.  Then it's one step at a  time ... uninstall/reinstall drivers and profiles, etc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up