Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: need sharp 50mm for canon, narrowed down to 3 options, help  (Read 2092 times)

stacibeth

need sharp 50mm for canon, narrowed down to 3 options, help
« on: September 15, 2014, 12:33:56 pm »

Ok, soooo, I am shooting with the canon 1ds mark 3, I shoot mainly interiors/architecture, food and portraits. I have found that I am missing and could use a nice sharp 50mm in my kit. Mainly for shooting some interiors closer shots (not the whole room, maybe just a corner of the room) Also, for portraits, not so for food.

I think I have narrowed it down to three options, unless ofcourse you guys think there is a better option
1. Canon 1.2 L  50mm, called b and h, one guy said its great, another guy said its really ideal for portraits and has a softer effect, so it may not be as sharp as i'd like
2. Zeiss 1.4 50mm, which apparently super sharp but is completely manual so in the event i want to shoot a portrait......
3. Sigma 1.4 50mm second generation, also super sharp and has auto focus capabilities, maybe not quite as sharp as zeiss (at least according to b and h guy)

Thoughts, advice? Help

Thanks
stacy

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
Re: need sharp 50mm for canon, narrowed down to 3 options, help
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 01:01:11 pm »

I have the sigma (not the latest 'Art' one) which is quite good - and I have the Zeiss 50mm F2 macro which I think is much better - but then it is manual focus.....

I did consider the Zeiss 1.4 but to be honest the F2 version is so sharp wide open that I was seduced - and it is obviously superb at macro too!  I do have trouble manually nailing focus at F2 when hand-holding though (but my eyes are ageing) so possibly if I had my choice again - for shooting portraits - I would go for the Canon 1.2 or the new Sigma 'Art'.  But on the tripod in live view mode the Zeiss 50mm F2 is superb.

Jim

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 02:37:12 pm »

I have had the zeiss  option 2 and now the Sigma art  option 3

the Sigma wins hands down... from 1.4 - 2.8 ; maybe at 5.6 the difference is less...

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

HarperPhotos

• http://www.harperphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 04:38:01 pm »

Hello,

This is a no brainer.

If you want a sharp 50mm for your Canon then get the Sigma 50mm F1.4 Art lens which is the sharpest 50mm auto focus lens in the world.

Simple.

Cheers

Simon
Simon Harper
Harper Photographics Ltd
http://www.harperphoto.com
http://www.facebook.com/harper.photographics

Auckland, New Zealand

melchiorpavone

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 11:15:05 am »

Ok, soooo, I am shooting with the canon 1ds mark 3, I shoot mainly interiors/architecture, food and portraits. I have found that I am missing and could use a nice sharp 50mm in my kit. Mainly for shooting some interiors closer shots (not the whole room, maybe just a corner of the room) Also, for portraits, not so for food.

I think I have narrowed it down to three options, unless ofcourse you guys think there is a better option
1. Canon 1.2 L  50mm, called b and h, one guy said its great, another guy said its really ideal for portraits and has a softer effect, so it may not be as sharp as i'd like
2. Zeiss 1.4 50mm, which apparently super sharp but is completely manual so in the event i want to shoot a portrait......
3. Sigma 1.4 50mm second generation, also super sharp and has auto focus capabilities, maybe not quite as sharp as zeiss (at least according to b and h guy)

Thoughts, advice? Help

Thanks
stacy

The Canon 1.8 lens is what you want.

NancyP

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 12:56:54 pm »

I have handled and shot a few frames with the Sigma 50 f/1.4 Art, and that is a handful of s-h-a-r-p lens. If you have no budget, size, or weight considerations, that would be a next-best-to-the-Zeiss-Otus option.

However, if I were to be doing a hike with a lot of elevation and I didn't have a lot of leeway with weight, or if I needed to take a super-inexpensive and inconspicuous lens, I might opt for the Canon Shorty Forty (40mm f/2.8 STM, 130 grams, USD 199.00) or Nifty Fifty (50mm f/1.8 II, 130 grams, USD 125.00). I have to say that although the STM manual focusing is not aesthetically pleasing, you can still do it. The 40mm is really amazingly sharp and has good color for its size and price, if 40mm is a pleasing focal length for you, give it a try. Some people might like shooting "street" with it. I suspect that it might not be usable on non-Canon bodies, due to the STM focus-by-wire mechanism (I may not be right about this).

Scott Hargis

• Scott Hargis Photo
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 01:13:05 pm »

Architecture and food? You need lens movements.

Schneider Super Angulon TS 50mm. Killer lens.

sharperstill

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 11:58:49 pm »

Hello,

This is a no brainer.

If you want a sharp 50mm for your Canon then get the Sigma 50mm F1.4 Art lens which is the sharpest 50mm auto focus lens in the world.

Simple.

Cheers

Simon

+1

allegretto

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 05:24:07 pm »

the Canon 1.2 is very soft and you will not like the edges at all if you are taking such pics. I don't like it for anything but keep it since it may be my best choice for some applications

the Schnider f2.8 Blows Away anything I have tried on a Canon mount. Plus it has T/S. Great contrast and pop. Pricy though

I do not have Zeiss 50 experience but my 100mm f2 Makro is very sharp cross the field and it's not even their most outstanding piece
Pages: [1]   Go Up