Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LuLa home page photos  (Read 2159 times)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
LuLa home page photos
« on: September 15, 2014, 10:47:09 am »

One of the things I enjoy most about this site is the regularly updated photos on the home page, which are either by Michael or Kevin. The way my browser is set up, I see the photo (or at least most of it) without at first seeing the text below it. Yet, I almost always know whether the photo is from Michael or Kevin. Anyone else see this?

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
Re: LuLa home page photos
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 11:41:40 am »

Yes - for example I immediately knew the current picture of Ricketts Glen was one of Kevin's!  I then put my sunglasses on...... ;D

Jim

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 03:34:30 pm »

;)  Ouch   ;D
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 05:37:03 pm »

Yes - for example I immediately knew the current picture of Ricketts Glen was one of Kevin's!  I then put my sunglasses on...... ;D
Yes, truly horrific. Once we could rely on tasteful work from Michael.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 06:09:59 pm »

One of the things I enjoy most about this site is the regularly updated photos on the home page, which are either by Michael or Kevin. The way my browser is set up, I see the photo (or at least most of it) without at first seeing the text below it. Yet, I almost always know whether the photo is from Michael or Kevin. Anyone else see this?

Yes, I can usually tell at a glance. We all have our own shooting styles.  :)

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 06:22:22 pm »

Ok, maybe it was a bit much.  I was hoping it would start a discussion as there is a story behind this and I wanted to see how the LuLa readers would react.  And, the ones who wrote to me and posted here were what I expected.  So, here is the back story.  A short time ago I was invited to speak at a university about photography and it focused on the way a photograph could be changed to be for lack of better words sur-real.  I put up a much more subdued image (more of the way the scene looked) and this version.  And, not to my surprise the group of students really like the one I published better.  It went further about looking at skin tones and what is real and what is liked.  On the skin tones the group went for warm and gold.  But there were a number who liked pale and washed out. The image I posted was not HDR and actually did not have that much saturation added.  It was more in shadow recovery and how the brighter shadows made a difference.  I'll publish a more subdued version in the future.  I appreciate your comments but as many of you know I do try different things regarding my photos.  There is website (no names mentioned) that focuses on entirely HDR photography.  This person has a huge following.  While I like a number of the images on the site I find many of them over done, and that is saying a lot coming from me.  But there are photographers that love that look.  Just as there are photographers who love the look of iPhone images run through half a dozen different apps.

I post plenty of images that are not so over cooked but once in a while I shake it up a bit.  I am not afraid to challenge myself and others in regards to not only what I photograph but how I present them.  A while back I caused quite a stir with my heavy metal image.  People either loved it or hated it. But, for being only a few months old it is selling very well.  I suppose in closing we need to remember that it is not always photographers who look at our images.  A certain landscape photographer we all know is very successful because he is not afraid to push the sliders and boundaries of his landscape images. He certainly has a lot of customers that like his work.

Now, it's time to focus on Photokina for the next four days.  Hope you like the new photo I just put up taken on the streets of Cologne earlier today while out shooting with Michael.

Kevin Raber
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 06:33:22 pm »

...Hope you like the new photo I just put up taken on the streets of Cologne earlier today while out shooting with Michael.

Kevin Raber

A fine catch indeed!

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 11:07:06 am »

A fine catch indeed!

Yes, the boy with the ball is indeed a fine photo.

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 11:17:15 am »

You might have caught him a split second later as he landed on his arm, grazed his elbow and burst into tears..... :)

Les Sparks

• http://www.ncsparks.com
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 10:50:30 pm »

Boy & Balloon, Cologne, Germany is wonderful. I love the look of shear joy in the boy's face.

cottagehunter

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 08:35:17 pm »

Boy & Balloon, Cologne, Germany is wonderful. I love the look of shear joy in the boy's face.

I agree

Pierre

Peter McLennan

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2014, 11:57:12 am »

Boy and Balloon is a superb image in all respects.  It demonstrates all that photography can do that the rest of the art world can't.
Congratulations, Kevin.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2014, 12:53:08 pm »

Kevin :  the photo of the boy with the balloon is marvelous.   You caught it perfectly - especially the joy.  The previous picture, well, what can I say.  I hope your slider thumb has recovered from the strain.
Pages: [1]   Go Up