Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Panasonic LX100  (Read 7373 times)

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
New Panasonic LX100
« on: September 15, 2014, 10:12:05 am »

This may well prove to be a hit for Panasonic, as it ticks a lot of boxes for a perfect travel camera. Large sensor, fast lens, manual dials and controls.

armand

• Photos
Re: New Panasonic LX100
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 10:50:41 am »

Looks good, a touch too short on the lens, a 90 would have been nice. If it can fit in a jacket pocket it meets almost all the requirements.

BJL

big sensor compacts are on a roll
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 07:19:58 pm »

The category of "big sensor fixed lens compact cameras" is blooming lately; today's news includes
- the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 with 4/3" sensor and 11-34mm (24-75mm equiv.), f/1.7-2.8 lens
- the Canon PowerShot G7 X with 1" sensor, 9-37mm (24-100mm equiv.) f/1.8-2.8 lens
and even
- the Panasonic Lumix DMC-CM1 with 1" sensor and 11mm (28mm equiv.) f/2.8 prime lens --- which also does phone calls, text messages, and some Android apps.

I can see having one of these as my "standard lens" kit, and using a system camera for the outliers of lenses that go longer, wider, or closer.

Maybe there is room for a "high end fixed lens" camera sub-forum.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 07:35:33 pm »

I think I want a camera with better quality (lens/sensor) than my current RX100 (first gen) for when I have a jacket or I take my smaller camera bag but don't want to get one the bigger cameras.

These would fit some of the requirements. I would also add the Panasonic GM-5 as the size is similar with a smaller kit.

Manoli

Re: big sensor compacts are on a roll
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 03:23:10 am »

The category of "big sensor fixed lens compact cameras" is blooming lately; today's news includes
- the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 with 4/3" sensor and 11-34mm (24-75mm equiv.), f/1.7-2.8 lens
- the Canon PowerShot G7 X with 1" sensor, 9-37mm (24-100mm equiv.) f/1.8-2.8 lens
and even
- the Panasonic Lumix DMC-CM1 with 1" sensor and 11mm (28mm equiv.) f/2.8 prime lens --- which also does phone calls, text messages, and some Android apps.

Yes, I'd agree that two of those cameras look very interesting. The CM1 is more experimental and, initially, will only be available in France and Germany.

BJL

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 12:27:53 am »

and even
Oh, I forgot the Leica D-lux (typ 109)!

One advantage that these fixed lens cameras have over a kit of something like a GM-5 plus lens is the lens speed that can be fit into a given overall size: there is no 11-34mm f/1.7-2.8 lens for MFT, and any zoom lens close to that speed makes for a substantially larger kit.  I am still addicted to the lens flexibility of a system camera though.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 09:31:06 pm »

No touch screen for the LX100, would have been nice.

MoreOrLess

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 03:44:44 pm »

Oh, I forgot the Leica D-lux (typ 109)!

One advantage that these fixed lens cameras have over a kit of something like a GM-5 plus lens is the lens speed that can be fit into a given overall size: there is no 11-34mm f/1.7-2.8 lens for MFT, and any zoom lens close to that speed makes for a substantially larger kit.  I am still addicted to the lens flexibility of a system camera though.

Reminds me a lot of the old Digilux 2 in that the design seems more geared to the Leica version than the typical Panasonics that have a red badge added, wonder whether there was actually any input from Leica beyond the lens.

dfarkas

• http://www.leicastoremiami.com
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 07:28:41 am »

Reminds me a lot of the old Digilux 2 in that the design seems more geared to the Leica version than the typical Panasonics that have a red badge added, wonder whether there was actually any input from Leica beyond the lens.

You are correct. I spoke with the Leica product manager for compact cameras at Photokina last week and questioned him on the relationship between Leica and Panasonic. For the D-Lux (Typ 109), Leica led the design effort and pushed for a more Leica-like look and feel than ever before (barring perhaps the Digilux 2 as you already mentioned).

If interested, I wrote a full report on the new D-Lux and V-Lux from the show:

http://www.reddotforum.com/content/2014/09/photokina-2014-day-4-leica-compacts-get-upgraded-with-d-lux-typ-109-and-v-lux-typ-114/
David Farkas
Leica Store Miami
www.leicastoremiami.com

Check out Red Dot Forum for Leica news, reviews, blogs and discussion

armand

• Photos
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 03:20:38 pm »

I keep looking at these new cameras and right now I'm not sure I would take the LX-100  instead of the Canon G7X.

Pro Panasonic
- bigger sensor with an equally bright lens
- probably better movies, at least 4k
- EVF

Pro Canon
- much smaller size (pants vs jacket)
- partially articulated touch screen
- longer lens
- more megapixels (in good light it's an advantage in my book)

Things to be seen
- focus speed, probably advantage LUMIX
- how good the lenses are, both are quite breakthrough in size/aperture and focal length, which means they might be flawed at the extremes

MoreOrLess

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2014, 05:31:21 am »

I keep looking at these new cameras and right now I'm not sure I would take the LX-100  instead of the Canon G7X.

Pro Panasonic
- bigger sensor with an equally bright lens
- probably better movies, at least 4k
- EVF

Pro Canon
- much smaller size (pants vs jacket)
- partially articulated touch screen
- longer lens
- more megapixels (in good light it's an advantage in my book)

Things to be seen
- focus speed, probably advantage LUMIX
- how good the lenses are, both are quite breakthrough in size/aperture and focal length, which means they might be flawed at the extremes

I would say that whilst both are large sensor compacts there quite different in terms of the kind of user there designed for.

The Canon like the RX100's to me looks more like a "super compact" either after compact/phone users upgrading or maybe the odd lower end mirrorless(like the EOS M or the Sony NEX-3) user looking for something smaller.

The Panasonic on the other hand seems to be aimed at the more serious user, much more in the way of manual controls, viewfinder, filter thread, etc.

What is I'd guess going to become a key issue with these kinds of cameras is lens performance, in the past this seemed to be glossed over with most fixed lens compacts but the larger the sensor and the higher performance the aim of the system the more this is going to become a factor differentiating bodies.
Pages: [1]   Go Up