Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 5D Monochrome  (Read 3234 times)

Russ Good

5D Monochrome
« on: November 18, 2005, 02:40:42 am »

Greetings,

Calling all 5D owners...as a dedicated B/W shooter I'd love to hear any comments you would be
willing to share regarding the "Mononchrome" setting on your 5Ds...are your results any better
than Photoshop conversions?

TIA

Russ

jd1566

5D Monochrome
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 07:14:01 am »

Hi Russ,
I am assuming that the output is pretty similar to the 20D which I owned.. I was never really quite satisfied with the 'on-board" black and white, (although I was really happy with the idea) and now do all my conversions in Photoshop using a plug-in from Theimagefactory called Convert B/W Pro.. It does a very good job of simulating a traditional dark room in terms of control, contrast, film types etc...  The advantage is that you can shoot Raw and then do conversions when you download to your PC.  I can see the image change as I play with the settings, colour filters, exposure and contrast.. It feels like my wet darkroom again, only less claustrophobic and I can do it during the day! :-)

Now that I have my 5D I have not bothered with picture styles as I only work in Raw, and leave the JPeg conversion for when I''ve finished manipulating the picture and am ready to print.  I will as a matter of course shoot a few shots in B&W in-camera and report back.. if there is a significant improvement I will let you know.. However I am already so happy with my plug-in and the after-the-fact control that it gives me that even if the in-camera B&W is decent, I will still just shoot Raw and convert later.
B&W photographer - Still lifes, Portrait

boku

• http://www.bobkulonphoto.com
5D Monochrome
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 08:27:23 am »

Ditto here - I agree 100%

Hi Russ,
I am assuming that the output is pretty similar to the 20D which I owned.. I was never really quite satisfied with the 'on-board" black and white, (although I was really happy with the idea) and now do all my conversions in Photoshop using a plug-in from Theimagefactory called Convert B/W Pro.. It does a very good job of simulating a traditional dark room in terms of control, contrast, film types etc...  The advantage is that you can shoot Raw and then do conversions when you download to your PC.  I can see the image change as I play with the settings, colour filters, exposure and contrast.. It feels like my wet darkroom again, only less claustrophobic and I can do it during the day! :-)

Now that I have my 5D I have not bothered with picture styles as I only work in Raw, and leave the JPeg conversion for when I''ve finished manipulating the picture and am ready to print.  I will as a matter of course shoot a few shots in B&W in-camera and report back.. if there is a significant improvement I will let you know.. However I am already so happy with my plug-in and the after-the-fact control that it gives me that even if the in-camera B&W is decent, I will still just shoot Raw and convert later.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=52323\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...[b

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
5D Monochrome
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 09:53:49 am »

Ditto here - I agree 100%
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=52330\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Me too. Of the (blush) dozens of PS plugins I have acquired, Convert-to-BW-Pro is probably the easiest and most satisfying to use. I like very much choosing which "filter" (red, yellow, any in-between color) and intensity to use for each partricular shot.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)
Pages: [1]   Go Up