Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 3880 : suitable for double-sided prints to make books ?  (Read 4093 times)

MartinG

Epson 3880 : suitable for double-sided prints to make books ?
« on: September 15, 2014, 01:43:41 am »

Hi everyone,

I am thinking about getting an Epson SP 3880 to print books at home (small runs of 10-25 books, 50-60 pages max. each), and was wondering if people have had good results printing both sides on this printer. Obviously, I'm thinking printing one side, then turning it around and feed it for the other side. I got fed up with the logistics and inconsistency of the commercial printers with who I dealt with, and thought that I would do really limited edition of my books now, using the papers of my choice. I have used Blurb in the past too, but I am looking for a much better quality book. I will be making limited editions of my artist's books, and want to select different papers for different projects, print maps sometimes that would go along with the book, or different shapes of pages/covers. So that rules out any large-scale printing or on-demand printing with specific pre-selected sizes.

By my calculations it ends up being around the same price anyway, and I don't mind binding it by myself - I know what it involves and I'm okay with it. Plus I like the fact that they would be hand made. It seems to be this 17" printer that is the most reliable, and makes the most sense to get as I could use it to print tests of larger-format pictures that I'd send to the centre who has the SP 11880 for larger prints, thus having a reliable workflow. I would also have to travel every time to a printing centre, and adding the travel expenses and the carrying of everything, I prefer to do the printing of the pages in my own workshop.

I have used a SP3880 and 11880 before so I know what I can get from the printers, but unfortunately I don't have access to them anymore and I did not try printing both sides while I had access. If anyone has had any success printing both sides without lines or marks any comment would be appreciated. Thanks!

Martin

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
Re: Epson 3880 : suitable for double-sided prints to make books ?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 07:55:32 am »

As long as you use double sided paper then the only issue should be lining everything up. Trial and error.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

MartinG

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 12:29:07 pm »

Thanks Bob! The only issue I could think of would be apparent roller lines on the pictures since I would use matte paper, but I guess if I make all the same sides once, let dry and settle, then do the back sides I should be alright.

I did some tests on my small Canon printer and lining everything up should not be a problem. I print from InDesign and will let the cut marks so I can line pages correctly and cut at the right spot.

I was thinking of using Hahnemuhle Photo Rag book & Album paper. Have you ever used it in this context ?

Thanks!

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 06:17:11 pm »

No, I haven't used it. I recommend getting Mirage Print or similar so that you have more control on the borders and can see the printable area. Good luck.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

artobest

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 09:17:02 am »

You might need to feed through two sheets to protect the underside. That's my experience with the HP Z3200.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 10:20:43 am »

I did this with my Epson 4800 using double sided luster paper from inkjet art. 50 page book at two sizes: 11x17 and letter size.  Biggest issues were not being able to print boderless and fabricating a stiff cover.  I had to resort to plastic ring (Cirlox) binding.  Layout of a double page full bleed took some head scratching.

MartinG

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 02:07:09 pm »

Thanks for your answers!

The double sheet feeding idea is great, I did not think about that. I'm glad I started this thread as I did not find any other info like that after quite a bit of online research.

I'll also look at Mirage Print, never heard of that.  And thanks also for the Inkjet Art double-sided paper idea. The Hahnemuhle double-sided paper that I was looking at ends up being pretty expensive per page so I might get an Inkjet Art sampler to try them and compare before I buy anything.

I have also seen the Red River 60lb Polar Matte double-sided paper, which ends up being very affordable (33$/100 8.5x11" sheets vs 160$/100 8.5x11" Hahnemuhle sheets). Anyone used it ?  I've got a bit of testing to do now!

Thanks again,

Martin
Pages: [1]   Go Up