Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NW Coast  (Read 815 times)

armand

• Photos
NW Coast
« on: September 14, 2014, 10:03:23 pm »

a couple from the Northern California shore as far as I recall

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
Re: NW Coast
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 05:50:11 pm »

Keep pushing that boulder uphill!
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

armand

• Photos
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 07:01:37 pm »

It must have been a long day as I don't get it

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 07:43:43 pm »

Neither photo does it for me, although I find the second stronger than the first. This second image has an element of "aha" but doesn't finish well. It lacks three-dimensionality, something you can't change at this end. You could raise the contrast and or clarity or any one of a number of adjustments, but it will still lack three-dimensionality.

3D is critical in a two-dimensional medium. I like to be able to "walk into" photographs. Neither allows me to do it (leaving aside the fact that the foreground is water😉).

So "Keep pushing that boulder uphill" is a reference to your avatar; keep working; keep trying.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 06:28:31 pm »

I agree. Everything appears flat.  Nothing stands out to draw me in.  For my own personal taste, I like a photo or painting to have a focal point that my eyes naturally go to.  It can be very subtle, but it makes the photo interesting.  Here my brain just sort of gazes and stays in limbo without locking onto anything.

Now, what could be done to fix this?  Probably nothing to the photos as they exist (except perhaps the second), but given those circumstances again, perhaps supplying something of interest in the foreground, or a bird flying by, or an unusual or attractive formation in the clouds, or a unique color pattern, or something inconsistent, etc. Re. the second photo, I don't know what colors were present, but I can imagine a dramatic sky that would attract attention if the right colors were present. It's hard to tell from the photo as is, but, for me, it doesn't work in B&W.

As Terry encourages, keep pushing that boulder!  I am going through a dry spell right now and have been out in the field three days of the past five, pushing that boulder, and gotten nothing worth keeping.  But I've learned that if I keep pushing that boulder, now and then, with the right mindset, inspiration comes and I am rewarded.  99% perspiration...
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 06:38:19 pm by pcgpcg »

armand

• Photos
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 09:43:31 pm »

I didn't think I struck gold with these two to start with but I was hoping I was able to create the atmosphere I thought it's supposed to be typical for the area, with gloomy foggy days, and flat light. I guess I'll focus on something else.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 10:28:10 pm »

... I was hoping I was able to create the atmosphere I thought it's supposed to be typical for the area, with gloomy foggy days, and flat light...

I think the idea is valid, you just need more striking image elements to deliver it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up