Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: X-T1 remote  (Read 5896 times)

armand

• Photos
X-T1 remote
« on: September 14, 2014, 04:59:29 pm »

I realized my nice remote (which I use only at 10% of potential anyway) for X-E1 doesn't fit in the X-T1 so I want to see what remote releases you use. Preferably with a timer and intervalometer.
I will try the app also but for night shots it might not be ideal.

Thanks,
Armand

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: X-T1 remote
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 08:33:07 pm »

I use the one sold on Amazon.  Maker is JCC. But I believe it also goes by the name Rainbow.   Plugs into the microphone port.

Works great and intervalometer function works with no issues. 

This is a wired remote.  I tried port converters to use my remote from the X-E2 but no go.

Paul

Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Petrus

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 12:51:13 am »

Smartphone?

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 03:03:44 am »

Cheap ones like JYC work fine.
The smartphone app doesn't have an image review so you can't check exposure, and the camera controls are disabled while it's running.
As for a timer/intervalometer, why not use the built-in one?

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 07:23:59 am »

Built in one relies on the camera's max timed shutter speed of 30 seconds. If you need a linger exposure which I do for night exposure stacking, you need an external.   This issue is the same on all current brand cameras that have an intervalometer built in.

Magic lantern running on Canon cameras gets around the 30 second max limit.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 06:34:16 pm »

Built in one relies on the camera's max timed shutter speed of 30 seconds. If you need a linger exposure which I do for night exposure stacking, you need an external.

I use on camera typically, but the wireless remote to your cell phone works up to 30 seconds.  Anything over you can get a cheap $10 china wire to hold the shutter open in Bulb mode.
Maddog Murph
www.depictionsofbeauty.com
Mostly here for constructive feedback.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 07:34:49 pm »

Having the intervalometer function in the China ones goes help for stacking.

With the new 16mm 1.4 coming out my Fuji will be getting some night work now.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

armand

• Photos
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 07:39:24 pm »

Thank you, I was eying the ones on Amazon as I got my previous one from there.
It's also a JJC, I just wasn't sure the functionality is similar.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 07:58:06 pm »

I just realized the ones for Canon that use the microphone port are also compatible with the Fuji.

David Sutton

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 02:27:37 am »

Just a heads up. To make the remote release work you need to go into the video menu and select remote release and not mic.
Yes, I forgot. Mine is a Canon one and it works fine.
David

armand

• Photos
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 08:50:22 pm »

Well, I got a Canon one and it ain't working  :( . I might fiddle a little more but most likely will go back and try another one.

What I noticed is that with their design it will be difficult to have the remote release in and shoot on tripod on vertical orientation, the door barely opens enough before will come out of the L arm and hit the tripod. I thought it might sec to the cheaper L-bracket that I got, but even the RRS one has a spacer recommended. As we are at it, I have RRS L-bracket for X-E1 but this one for X-T1 from amazon is 1/3 of the price and looks equally functional. Makes the camera quite bottom heavy, worse than the X-E1 or D90, so I will have it off most of the times while on the other 2 it stays on most of the times.

David Sutton

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2014, 04:00:58 am »

Well, I got a Canon one and it ain't working  :( . I might fiddle a little more but most likely will go back and try another one.
You've been into the video menu?

What I noticed is that with their design it will be difficult to have the remote release in and shoot on tripod on vertical orientation, the door barely opens enough before will come out of the L arm and hit the tripod. I thought it might sec to the cheaper L-bracket that I got, but even the RRS one has a spacer recommended. As we are at it, I have RRS L-bracket for X-E1 but this one for X-T1 from amazon is 1/3 of the price and looks equally functional. Makes the camera quite bottom heavy, worse than the X-E1 or D90, so I will have it off most of the times while on the other 2 it stays on most of the times.
I have a RRS L bracket on my X-T1 and the remote works fine in portrait mode (but I wouldn't want the fit on the plug to be any tighter).
Be careful with some of the Chinese L bracket copies. The ones for the 5DII wouldn't allow you to change a battery without taking the bracket off.  :o

armand

• Photos
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2014, 08:42:51 am »

It's probably the remote by itself, I'll change it. The timer works fine but not the manual button.

The bracket looks quite good actually, you can open everything without issues. It's more of an issue with X-T1 design not with the bracket. The only thing the RRS probably has is better finish (I don't care about this part) and a marker to show you the middle.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2014, 08:45:49 am »

And btw, regarding the video menu. When you start or plug the remote it will ask if you want to change the settings which is nice, but if you wait more than a second or so it's quite convoluted to change it if you didn't know ahead of time you have to do it.

David Sutton

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2014, 05:29:29 pm »

And btw, regarding the video menu. When you start or plug the remote it will ask if you want to change the settings which is nice, but if you wait more than a second or so it's quite convoluted to change it if you didn't know ahead of time you have to do it.
Cool. I must have waited too long, and it was convoluted. :)

armand

• Photos
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2014, 03:07:16 pm »

I got another one (very similar) and it has the same problem. When I hit the timer start/stop button it works, shooting either on what X-T1 wants or the predefined length if the X-T1 is in bulb mode, but when I try the manual shutter (bulb or any other settings) nothing happens. The remote is supposed to be replacement for the Canon rs60 or something like that. Practically is almost usable but I  don't get why it's not working entirely, as it seems it's not a problem with the remote per se but a design thing.
Which remote do you have?

I also tested the bracket with the remote in a portrait mode and the fit is almost impossible, mostly due to a large door on the Fuji. I might get the spacer from RRS if it looks I'm going to use it often this way, RRS says it's necessary for their L-plate also.

David Sutton

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2014, 06:04:46 pm »

Which remote do you have?

JYC 110TX. This looks like it:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JYC-Wireless-Shutter-Release-for-Canon-EOS-Pentax-Samsung-DSLR-Camera-C1-/161072694993?pt=Camera_Camcorder_Remotes&hash=item2580ae46d1
This is it:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JYC-Wireless-Shutter-Release-Canon-1000D-450D-400D-500D-60D-600D-650D-/111228517020?pt=Camera_Camcorder_Remotes&hash=item19e5bc7a9c

It fits between the RRS L plate and the body fine if you open the door first and shave a fraction of a mm off the plug. Not a problem in portrait mode, though I wouldn't want the fit to be any tighter.
I'm a bit slow today and not sure what you mean by "manual shutter". I ran the release with various combinations of shutter speed, B and T and it works well. But I have to take the battery out of the head unit when stored in my backpack as it often gets pressure against the "on" button and switches on, flattening the battery.
David
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 06:07:00 pm by David Sutton »

armand

• Photos
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2014, 09:32:57 pm »

Sorry, I forgot to reply.
Mine it's not wireless, just corded.
Pressing the button on those Neewer remote (as in the attached photo) doesn't do anything, only the timer start/stop button.

I did get a JJC TM series with the microphone plug (for the X-E1 I had the similar model with the USB plug) and it's working just fine. Still doesn't fit on portrait mode on the tripod with an L-plate but that's a design flaw from Fuji.

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2014, 02:47:20 pm »

Smartphone?

This is indeed the best remote for the XT-1 but I think ppl thought you was joking :)
Kind Regards -  Hulyss Bowman | hulyssbowman.com |

AFairley

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2014, 11:01:27 am »

This is indeed the best remote for the XT-1 but I think ppl thought you was joking :)

Though they are a tad pricey as remotes go. :)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up