Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Starting a new catalog, question about using existing keywords  (Read 1387 times)

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
Starting a new catalog, question about using existing keywords
« on: September 13, 2014, 12:25:09 pm »

For house keeping reasons I want to start a new Lightroom catalog. In my existing catalog most about 2/3rfss oftheiamges are already keyworded. ifthere is one, what is the most straightforward way to import these existing keywords? What settings and boxes do I need to check off as presets or in preferences?

On a related noted is there a way to maintain previously applied star ratings and colors?

I am a long time Lightroom user but this trips me up on those rare occasions when I  start a new catalog.

My existing catalog has entries for about 200K images, the vast majority of which are in the DNG format.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Re: Starting a new catalog, question about using existing keywords
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 02:05:33 pm »

As I understand it, exporting a subset of your images as a catalog includes everything - keywords, develop settings, captions, star ratings, and so on. There's nothing special for you to do.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 02:23:54 pm »

Select the images, then use File > Export as Catalog. it includes everything except anything in Publish Services, although I should qualify "everything" - keywords and collections applied to those images. To have the entire keyword list, Metadata > Export Keywords creates a text file which you can import into the other catalogue.

Then remove those images from the current catalogue - unless you want to risk having the same image with some keywords/adjustents in one catalogue and different metadata in the other catalogue.

What are those housekeeping reasons? I'd need a good reason before dividing control of my picture collection across more than one catalogue.

Ellis Vener

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 03:10:26 pm »

"What are those housekeeping reasons? I'd need a good reason before dividing control of my picture collection across more than one catalogue. "

Thank you for asking John, and thank you too Peter. The truth is I'd rather not be creating a new catalog but here are my reasons:
It's a classic case of user error: When I made the transition  from Lr4 to Lr5, I was lazy  a little haphazard, busy with active shooting projects and  the drive my catalog was on was continually cramped for space.

The latter problem has been resolved, and because I remain busy I want to be more efficient in my organization, and set up a rational folder structure.  Since then I have been continually going back and updating and importing more in an irregular manner.  For a current project where I need to do a deep dive through the archive I am finding that many older images are not in the catalog. I know the images  are in my storage arrays (the library) and are backed up but it is a pan to be searching  folder by folder to find those missing images.

So rather than try to repair or rebuild a creaking, catalog structure it seems to me that it would be in my best interest to start afresh with everything in a better organized catalog.

For those of you who are not already as knowlegable in the ways of Lightroom as PeterAlt and John Beardsworth are, I am also looking at the multi-media eBook version of Peter Krogh's "Organizing your Photos with Lightroom 5", which if you haven't seen it is available from http://thedambook.com/ and well worth the price.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 02:44:40 am »

Sorry not to get back to you sooner, Ellis, as I was travelling over the weekend. After what you've said, I'd still feel very reluctant to start afresh and would advise you not to rush into it.

The key difficulty is that export as catalog will replicate the existing problems, while avoiding export as catalog would involve a series of manual steps - and mis-steps. It can be done, but isn't it throwing out the baby with the bath water?

Instead I'd encourage you to see if you can resolve specific problems in your existing catalogue. So for example, if "many older images are not in the catalog" then ask if their folders are in the catalogue, if not import the entire folder, if so synchronize the folder (right click the folder in Folders panel), and preferably synchronize a parent folder (if not showing, right click a folder and Show Parent). Tackling a parent folder could allow you to cut straight though the problem of "continually going back and updating and importing". Another thought is to strictly establish "a rational folder structure" going forward, while accepting that photos in the "irrational" folder structure will simply need a bit more metadata - so organizing or categorizing with metadata, not with folders. What I mean here, for example, is that you might populate iptc fields like Job (a favourite field of mine) which allow you to find a project's photos in whatever folder structure by setting it as a column in the Library Filter panel (which also identifies photos to which you've not yet applied a job) or as a criterion in smart collections. This is the route I'd point you towards, and you'll probably find it very close to Peter Krogh's recommendations.

John
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 03:00:04 am by john beardsworth »

Tony Jay

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 07:18:25 am »

I would strongly second John's recommendation Ellis.

Tony Jay

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 01:37:55 pm »

Of note, in the Menu/Metadata section you can export and import keywords from/into Lightroom.
An advantage of this is you can say export your keywords tidy them up in a different programme and re-import them.

On that subject any suggestions for some good software for doing this? Googling this seems to come up with lots of cruft.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Ellis Vener

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 03:48:13 pm »

Thank you John and Tony.
Pages: [1]   Go Up