Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Workflow options with the EOS D5 or 1DmkIIN  (Read 2868 times)

Khurram

Workflow options with the EOS D5 or 1DmkIIN
« on: November 17, 2005, 01:16:30 pm »

I was pretty much set on either switching to Nikon or going with the EOS 1DmkIIN.

Now i'm back to try and decide between the 5D and 1dmkIIN - still keeping the nikon option open, but i think i think it's going to cost me too much to make the switch - i really hate how canon skimps on features in the pro-sumer cameras!!

Anyway, now that i've vented some of my frustration.  the question i had (not actually having shot digital yet - still shooting with the 1v HS/Elan 7N until i finally decide on the camera and sell my 1v HS), was what is the best option for a software for my digital workflow??

The two main suggestions made by others has been Photoshop CSII or Phase one's capture 1 pro, or both.

Is one better then the other - do you need both.  I expect to be shooting almost exclusively raw files.  For the first 6 mths or so, i don't expect to be doing any of my own printing.

Appreciate some advice on what the best (most efficient/least effort inovled in post processing) for the digital workflow/raw conversion softare option is, if i am going to be shooting predominantly raw files.

Are both of these packages compatible with the 5D and 1DmkIIN?  I'd also like to no whether or not additonal plug-ins would have to be purcahsed??
----
[url=http://www.pbase.com/kssphotog

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 01:53:26 pm »

Expect to need Photoshop anyway. It's de reguier (how do you spell that?) for digital photographers. As it comes with ACR anyway that would be the most economical solution. The current ACR has excellent workflow advantages. Another option would be to buy the new RawShooter Pro to go alongside Photoshop. Personally I like Rawshooter for it's speed of building thumbnails and the slideshow but prefer ACR for everything else.

francois

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 02:00:49 pm »

It's de reguier (how do you spell that?) for digital photographers...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=51528\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
It's "de rigeur"  
« Last Edit: November 17, 2005, 02:01:05 pm by francois »
Francois

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 02:11:52 pm »

You need PS, but given PS CS2 you don't "need" anything else.  You may want, or benefit from the superior workflow/color processing from a 3rd party provider of RAW converters (I'm also a fan of RS), but I'd start with PS and ACR until you're comfortable with that, then think about some of the free trials that C1 or RSP have.  You'll also eventually likely decide you need additional support for PS - in the sharpening and noise reduction areas.  Photokit Sharperner and either Noise Ninja or Neat Image are the current standards.
Pages: [1]   Go Up