Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: X-rite Colorchecker Passport vs. Datacolor Spyder ColorCHECKR vs. QPcard  (Read 21975 times)

Stefan Ohlsson

Re: X-rite Colorchecker Passport vs. Datacolor Spyder ColorCHECKR vs. QPcard
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2014, 04:37:28 am »

I tried both the old pre-digital ColorChecker and the more recent QpCard.
Despite the fact that the manufacturer of the latter seems to be dead (you now have to convert do ACR 5.4 compatible DNG to properly calibrate), I found the QpCard to provide the most pleasing results, especially with nasty artificial lightning conditions.

You don't have to convert a file to DNG before importing it to QPCard, you can use the native raw file. But I do agree that QPcard makes profiles that are pleasing. And the possibility to choose contrast curve and gamut mapping makes it easy to customize how I want my profile. In general, I make profiles with a little less saturated colours when I make a profile with QPcard, compared with Passport. It is then easy to adjust the colour saturation in Lightroom or ACR.

Ligament

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2014, 03:40:13 pm »

Is qpcard still in business? I've emailed them multiple times for tech support (qpcard delaminated, color chart fell off cardboard book), no replies...

mac_paolo

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2014, 04:13:16 pm »

You don't have to convert a file to DNG before importing it to QPCard, you can use the native raw file. But I do agree that QPcard makes profiles that are pleasing. And the possibility to choose contrast curve and gamut mapping makes it easy to customize how I want my profile. In general, I make profiles with a little less saturated colours when I make a profile with QPcard, compared with Passport. It is then easy to adjust the colour saturation in Lightroom or ACR.
Actually you may need to convert to DNG beforehand in order to make the profiles appear under ACR/Lightroom, depending on the camera, especially when it's 1-2 years or newer. I speak by experience.

mac_paolo

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2014, 04:15:10 pm »

Is qpcard still in business? I've emailed them multiple times for tech support (qpcard delaminated, color chart fell off cardboard book), no replies...
Same here. They're probably dead, but the software still works under Mavericks. Fingers crossed.
I wouldn't want to switch back to the dated ColorChecker once again.

Stefan Ohlsson

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2014, 05:00:11 pm »

They're probably dead, but the software still works under Mavericks. Fingers crossed.
I wouldn't want to switch back to the dated ColorChecker once again.
I know both the developer and the owner of the company. I'm not in any way involved in the company, but as far as I know they are still in business.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2014, 05:36:30 pm »

Hi,

Just to say, I bought QPCard, sometimes last fall. It was delivered promptly, and I liked the results. On the other hand, I also found that Adobe DNG Profile Editor worked best for me.

I would guess that QPCard may work better with skin tones as it has more fields with subtle colours.

Best regards
Erik

I know both the developer and the owner of the company. I'm not in any way involved in the company, but as far as I know they are still in business.
Erik Kaffehr

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2014, 05:40:03 pm »

It might be helpful to give him/them a nudge to get on top of replying to emails then. Over the last year there have been several mentions of poor(non-existent) service from QP on Lula.
Which is a shame as just about everyone that has bought one thinks they offer the most pleasing camera profiles, me included.

Stefan Ohlsson

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2014, 02:19:12 am »

It might be helpful to give him/them a nudge to get on top of replying to emails then. Over the last year there have been several mentions of poor(non-existent) service from QP on Lula.
Which is a shame as just about everyone that has bought one thinks they offer the most pleasing camera profiles, me included.
I have, but will do that again.

Best/Stefan
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up