Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A very easy way to use up ink on a Canon 8300 :-(  (Read 1796 times)

keith_cooper

• Northlight Images
A very easy way to use up ink on a Canon 8300 :-(
« on: September 12, 2014, 10:47:47 am »

Head replacement time came along, not a surprise, since the other one  (on my Nov. 2010 8300) went earlier this year.

If you tell the printer that you want to replace just one head, it seems to drain just the one and move the carriage across, for what is a very simple swap.

However... when you lift the cover to change the head, DO NOT let it close until you are done. A slight fumble on my part meant that the lid came up a few inches and fell back.

Before I could do anything, the printer assumed that I was done (head swap in less than half a second eh?) and went on to refill the faulty head, test it (it failed) and tell me to switch off.
Switching on again meant that I was able to tell it I wanted to change the head, which it needed to drain first.
Unfortunately, the first 'headchange' had sent the maintenance cart over the limit, so it needed replacing first.
Head then drained, replaced, refilled and all is well...

So, just in case it saves someone else half an hour's swearing at Canon and a stack of ink... be careful with the cover when replacing cartridges :-)

It occurred to me to just pull the power plug and replace the head anyway, but not knowing what further actions this might trigger, I let it do its stuff
bye for now -- Keith
[url=http://www.nor

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
Re: A very easy way to use up ink on a Canon 8300 :-(
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 11:02:43 am »

Thanks Keith - definitely something to keep in mind!

I sometimes think that every time you turn on a printer you have to start learning everything from the very beginning again!

As a matter of interest, in terms of ink used (how many cartridges) would you think you went through before replacing the heads? Or, if there is a better way - other than time - of indicating how soon they need to be replaced?

William.

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 11:10:36 am »

Good to hear about this!
William, there is a usage log as part of the ipf8400 utility that shows ml used. Since set up and printing several times a week, mostly test strips on 8x10" and 13x19" along with scores of full page images, mine reports about 100 ml used. I don't know if that is a complete total or per-ink volume, but either way it would be great; if the former-spectacular.

keith_cooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 11:26:32 am »

I don't use my 8300 enough to give any reliable indicator of life, but I have been using it regularly. I keep it switched on and have a diary reminder pop up every 4 days to do a print. Printing is not my main business, so jobs tend to come in at irregular intervals otherwise. I've done 6 20"x30" prints this week, but none in the week before, and next week I'm on holiday.

With cheap roll paper left in the printer, I have a thin test image on the printer's disk that I can print from the web browser, even if I'm away (via VPN)

I'm sure that this keeps the printer better behaved in the long run, since any large printers hate lack of use.
bye for now -- Keith

keith_cooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 11:51:13 am »

I should have noted that it was not long before the second head went that I finally got through the last of the starter cartridges. 

Red took a long time to go down.  In fact when I replaced R,G,B I picked up some cheap 330ml carts since I couldn't see 700's ever getting used - grey gets used a lot though
bye for now -- Keith

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 01:34:47 am »

Hi David

As far as I can work out, that usage log only works on Windows...are you on Windows? It is not available on Mac - otherwise let me know how to access it!

Thanks Keith for your reply - it is not so much the ink usage I am interested in, it is more the amount of printing one does before the heads need replacing. As you say, time is meaningless if you are not printing everyday or vice versa if your printer is going from morning till night. The head price is not an insignificant amount here in South Africa so I am trying to work out how long I have to go! It would be nice if the machine measured and kept a record of square meters printed so that we would all know what the average lifespan of the heads was.

Otherwise, I am really enjoying the 8400, it sounds like you are too, David?

Cheers
William
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

alain

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 07:51:31 am »

Hi

Was it a replacement of the first heads, after a bit less than 4 years?

Alain

keith_cooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2014, 08:05:26 am »

Was it a replacement of the first heads, after a bit less than 4 years?
Yes, for my 8300.  Light but regular use. Identifying the failure of the second was a lot easier after doing the first one (RH) earlier this year
bye for now -- Keith

alain

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2014, 09:47:56 am »

Yes, for my 8300.  Light but regular use. Identifying the failure of the second was a lot easier after doing the first one (RH) earlier this year
Thanks, that's actually quite good.  It seems to make a 6-year live with one (2) head replacement a possibility, with light regular use. 

keith_cooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2014, 10:03:51 am »

Thanks, that's actually quite good.  It seems to make a 6-year live with one (2) head replacement a possibility, with light regular use. 
Well, my hope is for it to keep going fine until they come out with something that I actually want to move to ;-)

It's more than paid for itself (and print making is not a major contributor to the business bottom line), but I'd not like to have to change it for a while yet.

Now if only Canon could come up with such a printer, and a camera to replace my 1Ds3 (no, the 1D X doesn't count ;-)

bye for now -- Keith

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2014, 12:56:13 am »

William, Windows... yes. Sorry that's not much help.

BillK

• http://
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2014, 11:07:03 am »

There is a status sheet you can print using the buttons on the printer.
It doesn't tell total ink consumption, but does tell total square feet or meters of paper
run through the machine during its life. It also breaks it down by type of paper/canvas.

The sheet is about 3 feet long on 10 inch wide paper, so make sure you have some cheap paper loaded
before printing it.

Canon support will often have you print this sheet and tell them information off it to help diagnose
a problem you may be having.
Pages: [1]   Go Up