Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Formatt-Hitech "Firecrest" IRND ND filters, comparison to Singh-Ray Mor-Slo?  (Read 2145 times)

Ligament

A post just prior to mine mentioned this product but the subject of the post is ambiguous so I thought I'd create this thread.

https://www.formatt-hitech.com/en/products/Firecrest-16~184.html

Formatt-Hitech has released a new product called the "Firecrest" ND and grad ND line.

They claim neutral color and excellent IRND filtration.

The 100mm X 100mm 16 stop FireCrest ND is only $160 US

Having just recently spent a LOT of money on a set of Singh-Ray 100mm x 100mm 5 stop ($350), 10 stop ($415) and 15 stop ($590) filters, I'm wondering the following:

1. Are these Firecrest ND filters as good as they Formatt-Hitech claims?
2. Are they better than the Singh-Ray filters despite a $430 price difference in the case of the Firecrest 16 stop vs. Singh-Ray 15 stop?

I'm still within the return limits for the Singh-Ray filters and would return them in a heartbeat if I could save a ton of money and get the same or better image quality.

Any opinions?

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas

It's my understanding, from talking to a few of the U.S sources for these, there is a question as to if they block 100% IR, however they appear to be 100% neutral, no color cast.  The price is right for sure and they make the 16x in 2mm and 4mm.  I like the 2mm solution for sure and am going to try one.  I hope they follow up with a 8x in this line as most times I don't need a full 16x

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

allegretto

Yes

Return the S-R and rebut both S-R and F-H in your most common density and take some shots. It's the ONLY way for you to really know

Would say my S-R's are very very good, but who knows really? All else is just second-hand at best. Not the same as you might see it anyway.

Pages: [1]   Go Up