Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some interesting news about Sony  (Read 8294 times)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: Some interesting news about Sony
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2014, 05:17:43 pm »

Hi,

Some pretty serious photographers seem to have preference for EVF-s.

- Frank Doorhof is quite enthusiastic about the Sony Alpha 99 and the Sony A7r. He sold of his Canon 5DIII in favor of those systems: http://www.frankdoorhof.com/site/2013/11/sony-a7r-part-i/

- BCooter (James Russel), doesn't like the A7/A7r a bit but he is sold on the Panasonic GH3. But right, he shoots Leica S2, too.

- As far as I recall, Michael Reichmann on this site is also warming up to EVF.

- Guy Mancuso, co-owner of "getdpi" is also shooting an A7 with considerable enthusiasm.

So, I don't think it is such a clear split in two groups. Mentioned photographers have considerable skills in the art of photography.

Best regards
Erik

Not the "DSLR dinosaur quote" never heard that one before  ::)
I use EVF's but reluctantly I would add in many cases it's fine in normal light but quite poor in hard lighting conditions. Handy for manual focus, but sucks power significantly too
I can't honestly say it's a better solution than an optical finder (sometimes you just need to see the subject clearly) Sony's take is quite novel (at the expense of pulling some light away from the sensor) it hasn't really made a jot of difference to the performance of A mount over the last few years (A99 was a huge let down and poorly priced)

no doubt they will get better (EVF's)

Reality check there are 2 camps

1: Those obsessed with technology and "the next best thing" (they will never be happy with what turns up there is always a better camera down the road)
2: Those obsessed with the skill and art of photography and picture taking

Whilst I take part in these discussions I aspire to be no. 2
Change purely for the sake of it isn't really that good, saying cameras must change is more down to camera company profits than users demanding it
If mirror-less was the way forward for everyone then people would be buying them hand over fist (been around for a while now) as said these designs of cameras have not really taken the concept of smaller to it's natural conclusion and anyway people don't really seem to be that excited by them.

It frightens me to see camera makers embrace elements of video users needs like STM lenses these sacrifice good tactile feedback for manual focus to please a bunch of users whose primary interest isn't stills photography.
Erik Kaffehr

Theodoros

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2014, 05:56:08 pm »

Hi,

- Frank Doorhof is quite enthusiastic about the Sony Alpha 99 and the Sony A7r. He sold of his Canon 5DIII in favor of those systems: http://www.frankdoorhof.com/site/2013/11/sony-a7r-part-i/

- BCooter (James Russel), doesn't like the A7/A7r a bit but he is sold on the Panasonic GH3. But right, he shoots Leica S2, too.

- As far as I recall, Michael Reichmann on this site is also warming up to EVF.

- Guy Mancuso, co-owner of "getdpi" is also shooting an A7 with considerable enthusiasm.

So, I don't think it is such a clear split in two groups. Mentioned photographers have considerable skills in the art of photography.

Best regards
Erik

Erik look, none here tells you that using an EVF for certain types of photography sucks... It's the opposite actually! Whenever one can study a scene and visualise on it without looking through a VF at all, like it happens with still life studio, or with landscape, or with architectural photography, the superb LV that mirror less cameras provide, along with their superior performance with cameras like the new Cambo Actus and their compact size together with the wide compatibility with older lenses can be a blessing!
But all this is totally different than suggesting to Nikon or Canon that they should consider dropping the OVF for an EVF... For traditional SLR (or rangefinder) use, where the naked eye needs no "digital filters" to judge lighting, no EVF ever, no matter how good they'll ever become will be able to communicate with a photographer's brain like an OVF... It's the same with MF photography and the use of a body+MFDB combination... If the back provides good LV it will be a blessing for use with technical or view cameras or for tethered shooting (the major reason IMO for the high appreciation that the new Sony Cmos sensor had among photographers - its LV quality), but this is different than suggesting that it would be better for Mamiya or Hassy or Leica to ...drop the mirror boxes altogether!

Keith Reeder

• Capture The Moment
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2014, 05:14:21 am »

Hi,

Yeah...

You can't make a comment like that without also considering what is being photographed - and frankly, any camera will "cope" with what Doorhof shoots.

He may perceive an IQ advantage of his Sony over his 5D Mk III, but it's equally possible that he concluded that the Canon is too much camera for what are really little more than snapshots (and soft, out of focus snapshots too, based on the picture of the model at the top of the page).

It's no coincidence though, that no "pretty serious" photographers are making much of an impact in the wildlife/sport/action space with EVF cameras. I've no doubt that that day is coming (and for myself, I have no qualms about EVF if it works as well as OVF), but as of right now EVF cameras are, for the most part, extremely limited - and limiting - if you're shooting anything that actually moves...
Keith Reeder
Blyth, NE England

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2014, 01:10:13 pm »

Reality check there are 2 camps

1: Those obsessed with technology and "the next best thing" (they will never be happy with what turns up there is always a better camera down the road)
2: Those obsessed with the skill and art of photography and picture taking
Uh, 3 camps actually
3. Those obsessed with the skill and art of photography and picture taking and love to take advantage of improvements in technology.   :P
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

jjj

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2014, 01:18:03 pm »

You can't make a comment like that without also considering what is being photographed - and frankly, any camera will "cope" with what Doorhof shoots.
Really? Have you looked at his portfolio?Try doing this with your iPhone.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 01:27:10 pm by jjj »

TMARK

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2014, 02:27:57 pm »

This could be done with a Nikon D200, or a one of those Powershot G whatever they are.  Anything with some DR and a sync.

Telecaster

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2014, 05:23:50 pm »

My preference for EVFs has nothing to do with geekery or novelty for its own sake. A good EVF provides me with superior photo-taking info compared to current reflex systems. I never have to trip the shutter wondering if I've got the exposure right…highlight blinkie/zebra warnings in the EVF tell me. Accurate manual focus? There's no contest…a good EVF wipes the floor with the reflex VF screens in current cameras. Tuning the finder to match the color & contrast characteristics of your files…with the best EVFs you can get darn close. And you can shoot with monochrome in mind and see monochrome in the finder.

If I were primarily a sports or fast-moving wildlife photographer I'd likely have a different take on this. But I'm not. My subject matter tends to stay still or move slowly.   :)  Further, I started off with rangefinder cameras and have never had any special regard for optical TTL systems. Replacing a mirror and pentaprism with an electronic screen…for me no minuses and lotsa pluses.

Another point: EVFs are a moving target. The best ones are already really good but they keep getting better too.

-Dave-

jjj

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2014, 07:05:33 pm »

This could be done with a Nikon D200, or a one of those Powershot G whatever they are.  Anything with some DR and a sync.
Didn't say it couldn't, but not with any camera which was the daft claim made.

"and frankly, any camera will "cope" with what Doorhof shoots."
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 07:07:10 pm by jjj »

barryfitzgerald

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2014, 07:29:05 pm »

Yeah...

He may perceive an IQ advantage of his Sony over his 5D Mk III, but it's equally possible that he concluded that the Canon is too much camera for what are really little more than snapshots (and soft, out of focus snapshots too, based on the picture of the model at the top of the page).

It's no coincidence though, that no "pretty serious" photographers are making much of an impact in the wildlife/sport/action space with EVF cameras. I've no doubt that that day is coming (and for myself, I have no qualms about EVF if it works as well as OVF), but as of right now EVF cameras are, for the most part, extremely limited - and limiting - if you're shooting anything that actually moves...

The movement point is a valid one I suppose Sony tried to counter that with super fast fps rates it can be done (action shots) but clearly an optical finder is a better solution
Regarding the biggest problem with EVF's in hard light strong backlighting and using fill flash, it's very difficult to see the subject properly as the dynamic range isn't really there I've adopted a work around which is basically use it like an old waist level shooter and eye contact on the subjects

No doubt things will pick up tech wise, but it is an obvious weaker point
Nothing is a free ride, I can use EVF's but I honestly prefer optical finders at least most of the time.

I'd have hoped some genius would have a system allowing both, being stuck with EVF only isn't ideal really

Torbjörn Tapani

Re:
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2014, 08:14:15 pm »

Fuji has a hybrid rangefinder. So it's not impossible.

NancyP

« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2014, 09:07:48 pm »

Isn't it nice that we have all these options?
I am a SLR dino, and shoot through OVF for action shots, but do use the LCD 10x magnify option for checking critical focus on landscape shots. Someone pointed out that Nikon missed a bit of an opportunity for a handy tilt-shift focusing aid. They have a split-screen comparison option for left and right 10x magnified areas, to help ensure straight horizons. Just think how cool it would be if one could specify any two areas on your 1x image for magnification, then view the two areas on the split screen - a handy aid for managing degree of tilt, or for "acceptable" hyperfocal focusing in non-T/S lenses. Yep, you can do this now by walking the 10x box across the image with the lcd controller, but side by side would be more efficient.

melchiorpavone

« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2014, 09:44:41 pm »

Now that's a dress!

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2014, 10:58:14 pm »

+1

Erik

My preference for EVFs has nothing to do with geekery or novelty for its own sake. A good EVF provides me with superior photo-taking info compared to current reflex systems. I never have to trip the shutter wondering if I've got the exposure right…highlight blinkie/zebra warnings in the EVF tell me. Accurate manual focus? There's no contest…a good EVF wipes the floor with the reflex VF screens in current cameras. Tuning the finder to match the color & contrast characteristics of your files…with the best EVFs you can get darn close. And you can shoot with monochrome in mind and see monochrome in the finder.

If I were primarily a sports or fast-moving wildlife photographer I'd likely have a different take on this. But I'm not. My subject matter tends to stay still or move slowly.   :)  Further, I started off with rangefinder cameras and have never had any special regard for optical TTL systems. Replacing a mirror and pentaprism with an electronic screen…for me no minuses and lotsa pluses.

Another point: EVFs are a moving target. The best ones are already really good but they keep getting better too.

-Dave-
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up