Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: DHW files for insolvency  (Read 9514 times)

Ken R

Re: DHW bankrupt
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2014, 11:35:52 pm »

Ken,
The company split into consumer lines and professional lines decades ago.  Mostly what is in discussion here is the professional line, which is http://www.dhw-fototechnik.de/
AFAIK, the consumer line is doing okay and is the site you referenced.

Hi Eric,

I have heard about it but had not checked the consumer line before. It is sad for the Rollei name to be used in such low end products. Obviously that has no effect on the current high end or the legacy products and services.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2014, 11:44:03 pm »

Hi,

So DHW owns the Rollei trademark, too? Or is that the case that Rollei and Rolleiflex are separate trade marks?

Best regards
Erik

Hi Eric,

I have heard about it but had not checked the consumer line before. It is sad for the Rollei name to be used in such low end products. Obviously that has no effect on the current high end or the legacy products and services.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 12:28:53 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2014, 12:29:45 am »

Ken,
It might be simpler to think of the two different lines as Rollei and Rolleiflex.  I know that its a bit confusing, but those consumer Rollei cameras seem just that, and priced accordingly. It doesn't strike me at all out of place, especially compared to something like the Hasselblad Lunar. Even Leica also offered rebranded panasonic digital cameras on the lower end.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 12:57:05 am by EricWHiss »
Rolleiflex USA

Neil Folberg

• http://www.visiongallery.com
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2014, 10:36:49 am »

Hello Johanes,

We all think very highly of your staff, your company and the products and the service and hope this will work out somehow.

Neil

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2014, 12:01:43 pm »

Ken,
It might be simpler to think of the two different lines as Rollei and Rolleiflex.  I know that its a bit confusing, but those consumer Rollei cameras seem just that, and priced accordingly. It doesn't strike me at all out of place, especially compared to something like the Hasselblad Lunar. Even Leica also offered rebranded panasonic digital cameras on the lower end.

And Schneider Kreuznach, etc. Many top line manufacturers lend their expertise to low end products.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2014, 05:07:00 pm »

Hi,

Some interesting observations.

- Samsung was selling Pentax lenses under the Schneider label. Those lenses looked like Pentax lenses, smelled like Pentax lenses and had MTF like Pentax lenses. I don't know what Schneider contributed except the name. But I guess that the Schneider label sounded better than Hoya, Tokina or Kenko.

- http://www.rollei.com/about-us/ says that: "In 2007, RCP-Technik GmbH, based in Hamburg, acquired the European Rollei brand license rights and since then has been marketing the Rollei Consumer Products with increasing success. The Rollei products are currently present on the market in more than twenty European countries. The present Rollei product range comprises digital cameras, camcorders, digital picture frames, slide and film scanners, Fotopro tripods and photo and iPhone accessories". That description doesn't exactly sounds like Rolleiflex lending expertise to  low end products.

Best regards
Erik

And Schneider Kreuznach, etc. Many top line manufacturers lend their expertise to low end products.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Erik Kaffehr

Iluvmycam

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2014, 05:24:07 pm »

Posted on the other MF forum by Stefan Steib with a link to an article in German:
http://photoscala.de/Artikel/DHW-Fototechnik-GmbH-hat-Antrag-auf-Insolvenz-gestellt

Really really bad news…  I own a Hy6 and 12 lenses.  

Hopefully they can be resurrected once more!

And hopefully Leica brings out that Rollei adapter one day so that the glass can be used on the Leica S.

You must have a lot of dough to have so many lenses for that cam. I didn't know about it or I may have bought one. Beautiful little cam!

I wish they made a 6x6 FF back for my SWC. 6mp and $3000 would do the trick.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 05:27:18 pm by iluvmycam »

JV

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2014, 09:03:09 pm »

You must have a lot of dough to have so many lenses for that cam.

Unfortunately you have me confused with somebody else…  Buy when you get a good deal or when the stuff is fully depreciated!

I wish they made a 6x6 FF back for my SWC. 6mp and $3000 would do the trick.

I wish there was an affordable 6x6 back as well but I don't believe it is ever going to happen…

The Hy6 would really shine with such a back but if DHW wants this to happen they will need to make it happen themselves and have somebody design such a sensor (like Leica did with CMOSIS).

Unlikely in my opinion...

Lacunapratum

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2014, 11:43:33 pm »

Then there was the unfortunate breakup with Sinar, Jenoptik, and Leaf, with DHW as the only party still interested in the continuation, but perhaps the one with least support.  Then there were the 80ies with less than desirable quality.  US representation at that time was also less than desirable.  All of this has now been solved though. 

At this point, ability to use the 50MP Sony sensor, perhaps in Leaf incarnation, would be important.  If they could talk Leaf into once more making a Hy6 version of their Credo 50...

Alternatively, a start-up company designing a less expensive 6x6 sensor would get them once more in the spotlight. 

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: DHW files for insolvency
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2014, 12:10:39 pm »

I met Johannes on the show floor today. He was upbeat and optimistic they can find a business solution. He was not wanting to provide any hints, which I can understand as if they are looking for a funding source, partner, or angel investor then they would not want to scare them away by disclosing anything.

Hopefully they will find such a solution as more makers is, IMO, always a good thing, and they have some good people.

That said he also clarified that they want to find this solution in the next six weeks.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 12:13:52 pm by Doug Peterson »

Carsten W

« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2014, 08:12:37 am »

It doesn't make me happy to read how the continuation of this great brand continues to be a challenge, but I am personally not going to let that hold me back. I am no pro, and the decision is this perhaps easier for me than for some, but I have just bought a Sinar Hy6 and intend to expand my system beyond the 50/60/80/150 that I have currently, to include at least the 40 and 90. I am also looking for a suitable digital back, probably Sinar eMotion 54 or 75, and I will also get the 6060 back. I love the camera and cannot really imagine going back to the Hasselblad V system, charming as it may be.

I really hope that all these troubles can be truly put behind at some point. The long and troubled history of this venerable marque makes my heart ache.
Carsten W - [url=http://500px.com/Carste

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2014, 08:35:30 am »

Hi,

Enjoy your new system!

Best regards
Erik

It doesn't make me happy to read how the continuation of this great brand continues to be a challenge, but I am personally not going to let that hold me back. I am no pro, and the decision is this perhaps easier for me than for some, but I have just bought a Sinar Hy6 and intend to expand my system beyond the 50/60/80/150 that I have currently, to include at least the 40 and 90. I am also looking for a suitable digital back, probably Sinar eMotion 54 or 75, and I will also get the 6060 back. I love the camera and cannot really imagine going back to the Hasselblad V system, charming as it may be.

I really hope that all these troubles can be truly put behind at some point. The long and troubled history of this venerable marque makes my heart ache.
Erik Kaffehr

Carsten W

« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2014, 02:07:17 pm »

Thanks, I am sure I will, I have been using a Rolleiflex 6008i for a while now, and like the operation, but not the size, so the Hy6 is perfect.

JV

« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2014, 05:23:14 pm »

Thanks, I am sure I will, I have been using a Rolleiflex 6008i for a while now, and like the operation, but not the size, so the Hy6 is perfect.

The Hy6 is the best camera there is (and probably ever will be) for shooting 6x6 film (which I like).  It makes life very simple.  That is the way I look at it.

Carsten W

« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2014, 08:08:31 pm »

Agreed. If I don't find a good digiback soon, I will splurge on the 6060 back.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up