Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: DHW files for insolvency  (Read 9516 times)

JV

DHW files for insolvency
« on: September 11, 2014, 07:21:30 pm »

Posted on the other MF forum by Stefan Steib with a link to an article in German:
http://photoscala.de/Artikel/DHW-Fototechnik-GmbH-hat-Antrag-auf-Insolvenz-gestellt

Really really bad news…  I own a Hy6 and 12 lenses.  

Hopefully they can be resurrected once more!

And hopefully Leica brings out that Rollei adapter one day so that the glass can be used on the Leica S.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 06:50:21 pm by JV »

michael

Re: DHW bankrupt
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 07:30:00 pm »

A sad ending (possibly) for a proud brand.

Michael

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 08:35:58 pm »

A sad ending (possibly) for a proud brand.

Indeed. Hopefully the good people behind the brand land softly.

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 08:44:28 pm »

I'm hoping it won't be the ending!   Fingers crossed!  They came through once, or twice or four times before…  ;)
Rolleiflex USA

JV

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 08:44:59 pm »

I guess theoretically they are not bankrupt yet, they filed for insolvency, hopefully they somehow do find a solution!

parkn123

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 12:49:56 am »

Mine too.  >:( :( :o ???

torger

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 04:25:55 am »

That's sad. Hopefully they succeed to reconstruct the company. Apart from Hy6 which have some unique features compared to Hasselblad and Phase One, they've also made some important progress in electronic shutters for technical cameras through their HS-1000 product. It would be sad if that disappears before it got a chance to be widely tested in the marketplace.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 07:36:40 am »

On the HS-1000  at 2K US  per shutter, I feel it's usefulness was going to be a bit limited. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

DHW-JHartje

• DHW Fototechnik GmbH
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 03:27:44 pm »

Hi everyone,

my English is not the best especially concerning any legal terms but I think it is necessary to give some comments on the ongoing situation. Due to different reasons we had to file insolvency. In Germany you have to announce when the cash flow situation isn’t sufficient anymore, so we had to act. In the last month we recognized that our sales didn’t go the right directions which is of course as many of you know reasoned in the lack of marketing and advertising. We know that many people out there like our cameras but we weren’t able to sell this fact good enough. This is a problem we have since the beginning in 2009 because we started as a small company that had to finance itself completely.

BUT ! as Geoff mentioned correctly, insolvency doesn’t mean game over. We can still act and do business, but we have to talk about how we do business with the trustee that was called by court. We have many ideas about the future and are currently working hard to find a solution really soon.

I think there are two things that will be important to talk about, first: we will fulfil the orders and the service request we’ll get directly or through our different partners.

Second: I’m sure that we will find a solution so that nobody needs to be afraid about getting accessories or service for their equipment.

As you can imagine, we will not be able to attend photokina with an own booth, but I will be there from Wednesday to Friday and will be happy to meet with anyone interested in person in cologne during my stay.

Best regards,

Johannes

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 03:58:02 pm »

Hi everyone,

my English is not the best especially concerning any legal terms but I think it is necessary to give some comments on the ongoing situation. Due to different reasons we had to file insolvency. In Germany you have to announce when the cash flow situation isn’t sufficient anymore, so we had to act. In the last month we recognized that our sales didn’t go the right directions which is of course as many of you know reasoned in the lack of marketing and advertising. We know that many people out there like our cameras but we weren’t able to sell this fact good enough. This is a problem we have since the beginning in 2009 because we started as a small company that had to finance itself completely.

BUT ! as Geoff mentioned correctly, insolvency doesn’t mean game over. We can still act and do business, but we have to talk about how we do business with the trustee that was called by court. We have many ideas about the future and are currently working hard to find a solution really soon.

I think there are two things that will be important to talk about, first: we will fulfil the orders and the service request we’ll get directly or through our different partners.

Second: I’m sure that we will find a solution so that nobody needs to be afraid about getting accessories or service for their equipment.

As you can imagine, we will not be able to attend photokina with an own booth, but I will be there from Wednesday to Friday and will be happy to meet with anyone interested in person in cologne during my stay.

Best regards,

Johannes

That's good to hear Johannes. Thanks for the update.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

JV

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2014, 04:22:05 pm »

Good to hear!  I sincerely hope you will find a solution!!

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 04:55:11 pm »

+1

Erik

Good to hear!  I sincerely hope you will find a solution!!
Erik Kaffehr

michael

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2014, 06:30:19 pm »

Johannes,

Please keep us all informed. You have many fans here.

Kind regards,

Michael

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2014, 09:31:07 pm »

Yes, lots of fans! 
Rolleiflex is only camera brand that I know where people sport tattoos of the cameras and build cafes and other buildings in their likeness!  Okay some Leica fans do that stuff too, but..

Anyhow just to back up what Johannes has written, I've just received a regular shipment of new cameras (both Hy6 and TLR's), and another carton with items returned from service this week as normal. 

And if you didn't see it already, Steve Huff had the Hy6 for review last month and just posted a very nice review:
http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2014/09/09/shooting-with-film-my-rolleiflex-hy6-mod-2-experience/
Rolleiflex USA

JoeKitchen

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2014, 08:57:45 am »

After looking at all of the available SLR type cameras on the market today, I thought the Hy6 was the best thought out solution.  I always hoped that some day Phase One would support the system and sell their backs with the Hy6 mount. 

I hope they come out of this okay and some how convince P1 to support the system. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Ken R

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2014, 10:00:07 am »

Hi everyone,

Best regards,

Johannes

Hi, really appreciate your candor. Must be a difficult situation for everyone involved. Thanks for posting.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2014, 06:27:14 pm »

Hi,

I got the impression that German banks are much willing to invest in famous German companies. AFAIK as I know, neither Leica nor Rollei were successful for many years but could still gain significant marketing. Leica got a 200 M€ (300 M$) injection a few years ago, could expand it's offerings and seems to be quite profitable today. But, keep in mind that Leica even developed it's own sensor for the Leica M. Development of firmware on the M9 was done by Jenoptic why the S2 firmware developed in house. So Leica essentially has developed what would be the digital back. In addition Leica developed a new set of lenses for the S2 (now S).

I guess that it is a problem for DHW that they no longer own the Rollei trade mark, that ownership is now with a different company selling different products: http://www.rollei.com/

So I guess that german banks are less interested in investing in DHW than they would in Rollei.

Another factor is that economic climate in Europe is harsh.

Best regards
Erik

German laws is strange. Each time DHW cannot be reborn by shaking off all intellectual property right (too many cross-rights) problem, which bars the potential buyer.

Xin
Erik Kaffehr

Lacunapratum

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2014, 06:47:21 pm »

Hi Erik,

Rollei's demise was caused by the Norddeutsche Landesbank several decades ago.  Rollei was restructuring and starting with new initiatives, but the Norddeutsche Landesbank gave insufficient support and pulled the plug when all was only starting.  

So yes, a German bank unfortunately killed one of Germany's greatest companies.  "Rollei", or Franke and Heidecke, or DHW, never really recovered.  

It is unfortunate that nobody in Germany feels any sense of responsibility or support toward a brand of this level, the company, and those who are still trying to keep it alive.  
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 06:50:37 pm by Lacunapratum »

Ken R

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2014, 07:51:39 pm »

Hi,

I got the impression that German banks are much willing to invest in famous German companies. AFAIK as I know, neither Leica nor Rollei were successful for many years but could still gain significant marketing. Leica got a 200 M€ (300 M$) injection a few years ago, could expand it's offerings and seems to be quite profitable today. But, keep in mind that Leica even developed it's own sensor for the Leica M. Development of firmware on the M9 was done by Jenoptic why the S2 firmware developed in house. So Leica essentially has developed what would be the digital back. In addition Leica developed a new set of lenses for the S2 (now S).

I guess that it is a problem for DHW that they no longer own the Rollei trade mark, that ownership is now with a different company selling different products: http://www.rollei.com/

So I guess that german banks are less interested in investing in DHW than they would in Rollei.

Another factor is that economic climate in Europe is harsh.

Best regards
Erik

Oh my, just saw the rollei.com website. Kinda reminds me of what happened with Bell & Howell. Sad indeed.

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2014, 08:55:04 pm »

Ken,
The company split into consumer lines and professional lines decades ago.  Mostly what is in discussion here is the professional line, which is http://www.dhw-fototechnik.de/
AFAIK, the consumer line is doing okay and is the site you referenced.
Rolleiflex USA
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up