Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Perch  (Read 1244 times)

Bruce Cox

• flickr
Perch
« on: September 11, 2014, 06:10:58 pm »

Waiting will not make me much more objective about this from yesterday, so it's fresh.

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
Re: Perch
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 10:12:50 pm »

I like the relationship between the birds on the left and their droppings on the right. The foreground looks out of focus. Colors are very flat and the low contrast is due to the directly overhead sun.

stamper

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 03:27:15 am »

Bruce why do you like this image?

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 05:37:50 am »

Bruce I do hate to be negative - but honestly this image doesn't do much for me.... No interesting light, no centre of interest, sloping horizon, large out of focus foreground.  Now of course those are all my subjective responses and that may all be exactly as you intended.  The birds on the left probably would be okay if this was a moving image, but as a still they are not strong enough.

As Stamper asks - why?  If I knew what you were trying to show us I might be able to make sense of it.

Jim

PS - I dont post here often so don't take my opinions too strongly!

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 01:28:22 pm »

Bruce why do you like this image?

I like, that the odd constructions people build to strain for a view, are part of the view they strain for.  I like that this might suggest to viewers of the photo that they look for something.  It's the quest, not that there is anything, beyond light and wind on the water.

I like the way the bright roofs work with the sky so I don't have to darken the sky.

The light is not comfortable, but I have and will see enough of it that I might as well like it.

I like the tension between the forces flatting the image [the collection of various flat pail shades, the odd angles in the right foreground, the interruption of the horizon, and the cloud shadow that locks the foreground to the opposite shore] and the forces defining depth.

I like the coincidence of the brightest cloud being above the foreground vertical.

I like that the horizon is level, but looks like it's not [many other frames weren't].

I like that it looks good upside down in black and white.

In the early morning, before it was too hot, I was up on the roof with a pole saw trimming a broken limb and a little new growth away from the roof behind this shot.  When I turned to go this scene caught my eye.  I fetched my camera and shot several frames.  The light was softer, but the view was hazy.  Later, rather than work, I noticed the haze was gone.

It bothers me that the red oak [the lighter leaves through the railing] are blurred by the wind [but maybe in a good way?].  That the foreground is out of focus doesn't bother me, because I am familiar with it and there isn't much more to see there anyway.

I may try again.

Bruce
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 01:40:49 pm by Bruce Cox »

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 03:55:55 pm »

I wondered if it was a test to see if anybody would say what he thought about it. Then I wondered if it might be intended as a joke. Now I KNOW it's a joke. Ha ha.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 07:58:28 pm »

I love the relationship between the 2 birds. You can feel something fishy yet deeply honest there.

Cheers,
Bernard

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 09:00:15 pm »

No offence intended, but this is not one for hanging on the wall. However, try MOMA or one of the many eccentric galleries. You might just find a collector.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

stamper

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2014, 03:36:18 am »

I love the relationship between the 2 birds. You can feel something fishy yet deeply honest there.

Cheers,
Bernard

Maybe a severe crop of the top left corner - including the building they are sitting on - will salvage something from the posted image?

RSL

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2014, 10:06:00 am »

I don't think so, Stamper. Nothing in this image is salvageable. To say that the composition leaves something to be desired is to understate the case. In addition, on a technical note, the picture (landscape?) needs more depth of field. Everything close in is soft. So if you crop down to the two birds, what do you have? Two birds on a roof.

stamper

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2014, 10:22:34 am »

Russ I think the two birds on the roof is the only option. Bernard commented on the relationship of the birds which he liked, hence the suggestion. Overall you are correct. :(

RSL

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2014, 01:19:43 pm »

So if he crops to the birds he's going to have maybe a two megapixel file of two birds on a roof. I'd suggest the delete key as an alternative.
Pages: [1]   Go Up