Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printing Problem  (Read 3597 times)

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
Printing Problem
« on: September 10, 2014, 07:20:53 pm »

Just tried to make an 11" x 17" print with an Epson 3800 and only a 5" x 7" portion of the image was printed. This portion was in the right
position on the paper (upper left corner), but it is only part of the image. I have never seen this before and nothing like it has been happening with smaller paper sizes. I double checked the page setup and printer settings and see nothing amiss. I am printing with Lightroom.

Probably something stupid that I have just overlooked, but I can't for the life of me figure it out.

JayWPage

• Jay W Page Photography
Re: Printing Problem
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 08:52:56 pm »

I have had a similar problem happen once to me, only about 4" on one side of a 13 x 19 printed. I turned off the printer, re-booted the computer and on the second try everything printed fine.

I assume that it was either a memory or computer/printer communication problem, but it's never happened again so I'm really not sure what caused it. I was printing through ImagePrint V9.
Jay W Page

David Eichler

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 09:22:53 pm »

I have had a similar problem happen once to me, only about 4" on one side of a 13 x 19 printed. I turned off the printer, re-booted the computer and on the second try everything printed fine.

I assume that it was either a memory or computer/printer communication problem, but it's never happened again so I'm really not sure what caused it. I was printing through ImagePrint V9.

Just tried that and it didn't work.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 10:34:29 pm »

David,

I once had a 3800 but I forget the details as I am now using a 4900. This has happened to me periodically on both printers. I found it necessary to make sure that to the extent relevant there is coherence in the paper choice settings on the printer LED menu itself, in the printer driver that you access through the Epson driver from your computer and verify it again through the Printer driver set-up accessed in LR. Perhaps you think you have done all this already, but it is easy for something to slip between the cracks. So I suggest you go through all the settings everywhere that have anything to do with paper choices and make sure they are as coherent as relevant. Turn on the notification in LR that shows the selected paper size in the upper left corner of the image window and make sure it coheres with the paper size active in the Epson driver. Then turn the printer off and on again and try printing. This routine helped me when I had this issue - probably about three times in as many years.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Ray R

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 03:46:36 am »

I had a similar problem to this. When I tried to print 17x36 inch prints. The paper had been cut from a roll.
It was normally the left side which was missing, but would print the whole length.

The only conclusion I came to was that either the paper was not cut quite square or that the paper had not fed square into the printer.

Either case, I think the printer was detecting that the paper was narrower than it actually was and that it stopped printing when it 'thought' it had reached the edge of the paper.

RHPS

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 04:10:51 am »

The only conclusion I came to was that either the paper was not cut quite square or that the paper had not fed square into the printer.

Either case, I think the printer was detecting that the paper was narrower than it actually was and that it stopped printing when it 'thought' it had reached the edge of the paper.

This is a known "feature" of the 3800. If it detects that the loaded paper is smaller than the size selected in the driver it just prints to the width that it has measured without any warning message! Paper that isn't perfectly square, or which is very slightly skewed can cause this. However, if this does happen it should still print the full length of the paper, so maybe not the problem in this case.

David Eichler

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 12:06:22 pm »

This is a known "feature" of the 3800. If it detects that the loaded paper is smaller than the size selected in the driver it just prints to the width that it has measured without any warning message! Paper that isn't perfectly square, or which is very slightly skewed can cause this. However, if this does happen it should still print the full length of the paper, so maybe not the problem in this case.

Not the full length of the paper. Approximately the upper left quarter of the image printed.

howardm

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 12:24:33 pm »

this happened to me once and I ended up nuking the entire driver install and reloading (ie. on Mac, delete /Library/Printers/EPSON)

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 02:40:14 pm »

The most common cause of this error is transposing the length and width sizes when creating a custom paper size.  Often users enter the length and width of the print, not the length and width of the paper, which if you do for a landscape oriented image is backwards.

jtoolman

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 03:08:03 pm »

It's a funny problem but simple to correct.
Go to your PRO3800 driver a d go to Page Layout and make sure you have check the on "Output Paper" says
" Same as Paper size ".

Joe

« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 03:10:22 pm by jtoolman »

David Eichler

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2014, 07:00:16 am »

The most common cause of this error is transposing the length and width sizes when creating a custom paper size.  Often users enter the length and width of the print, not the length and width of the paper, which if you do for a landscape oriented image is backwards.

Not selecting a custom size. Selected the 11" x 17" option with Page Setup.

David Eichler

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 07:02:51 am »

It's a funny problem but simple to correct.
Go to your PRO3800 driver a d go to Page Layout and make sure you have check the on "Output Paper" says
" Same as Paper size ".

Joe

Under Print Settings/Layout I am not seeing this option.

David Eichler

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2014, 07:21:38 am »

David,

I once had a 3800 but I forget the details as I am now using a 4900. This has happened to me periodically on both printers. I found it necessary to make sure that to the extent relevant there is coherence in the paper choice settings on the printer LED menu itself, in the printer driver that you access through the Epson driver from your computer and verify it again through the Printer driver set-up accessed in LR. Perhaps you think you have done all this already, but it is easy for something to slip between the cracks. So I suggest you go through all the settings everywhere that have anything to do with paper choices and make sure they are as coherent as relevant. Turn on the notification in LR that shows the selected paper size in the upper left corner of the image window and make sure it coheres with the paper size active in the Epson driver. Then turn the printer off and on again and try printing. This routine helped me when I had this issue - probably about three times in as many years.

I have reviewed the 3800 manual and searched through the printer's menu and I cannot find a menu on the printer itself relating to standard paper sizes, one of which I am using (11" x 17"). And, I am not seeing where to turn on the notification in Lightroom for the selected paper size. Searched the menus and preferences for this. However, the rulers clearly show the selected paper size

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2014, 08:52:22 am »

I have reviewed the 3800 manual and searched through the printer's menu and I cannot find a menu on the printer itself relating to standard paper sizes, one of which I am using (11" x 17"). And, I am not seeing where to turn on the notification in Lightroom for the selected paper size. Searched the menus and preferences for this. However, the rulers clearly show the selected paper size

David, In LR, go to the Print menu and press your keyboard "i" key. This toggles the Info Overlay on and off each time you press it. You will then see the LR recognized paper size in the upper left corner of the image window. For selecting paper size, go to Page Set-Up (lower left button in LR interface) and select the correct paper size. Then go to Printer Settings (adjacent button) and select the Paper Handling menu. Check in the pane for the greyed-out line "Destination Paper Size" whether it says "Suggested Paper..corresponding with the paper size you see in the Info Overlay. If both of these show the same paper size, inconsistent paper sizing should not be the cause of the problem. (The information I am providing here relates to LR 4.4 with an Epson 4900 printer. I expect it to be similar for other recent versions of LR and Epson professional printers, but is the best I can suggest based on what is now loaded in my computer - Mac OSX.)
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

dtg printer

• printer kaos
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2014, 05:54:01 pm »

I had a similar problem once, just reinstall the driver and  then everything is printed fine

mbaginy

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2014, 08:01:53 am »

David, I encountered a similar phenomenon with my Epson 3880 printer.  I had set the paper size properly to A3 plus (13" x 19") but the printer refused to print the entire image.  I ran through each setting over and over and didn't find any improper setting.  This happened at least twice over the past months.

I overcame the problem by doing two things: utrning the printer off, then on again and by NOT using the (Lightroom) print button "print one" but by clicking "print" and then okaying the dialog.  Since I no longer use "print one", I haven't had this problem.
Pages: [1]   Go Up