Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon D750 specified directly against Canon 5Dmkiii...  (Read 10404 times)

Pope

Re: Nikon D750 specified directly against Canon 5Dmkiii...
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2014, 06:45:59 am »

I'm in the market for a capable video and still camera, was almost going Canon, but now; having a 5D MkIII like camere for 1100 dollars less is really tempting!

Theodoros

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2014, 10:58:40 am »

I'm in the market for a capable video and still camera, was almost going Canon, but now; having a 5D MkIII like camere for 1100 dollars less is really tempting!
I believe that they did this camera specifically to attack the video market... There is a tendency into (photo) forums for people to think about them selves only, their needs or past experience, but makers still make products to attract (what they believe will be) more customers.

Reasons why I believe this product targets (mainly) the video enthusiast (other than specs): 1. The tilting screen, 2. The choice of sensor (24mp) is ideal for video because it uses exactly 9 pixels for each pixel required for 1080x1920 resolution (there is about 4% difference in image size but this is cropped out), if the user chooses to use the camera in APS-c mode, he then needs exactly 4 pixels to achieve the same resolution. 3. The camera is said to be particularly "quiet" for high ISO LL video....

The above is exactly the same as 5Dmkiii approach, having a very good stills camera in addition to video, only improves the product's appeal further... Now if one doesn't like "this or that dial", or the body strength, or the FPS, or the resolution, or the flash sync, they don't give a dime in Nikon (and neither would I) and they are right IMO to think so.... ;)

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2014, 11:22:28 am »

The choice of sensor (24mp) is ideal for video because it uses exactly 9 pixels for each pixel required for 1080x1920 resolution
you can't readout 24mp sensels out of this sensor @ 30p or 60p rate ... so it will not be 9 sensels binning.

Theodoros

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2014, 02:28:13 pm »

you can't readout 24mp sensels out of this sensor @ 30p or 60p rate ... so it will not be 9 sensels binning.
It's not 24mp you read... it's cropped down to 1920x3 horizontally, (but it's not 1920x3 what is read either) and 9:16 of that vertically... Canon 5d mk iii does exactly the same but without cropping and it can't give an APS-c equivalent either... because Canon's APS-c size is 1.6x (rather than just subtract a pixel out of three)... The read is not 9 pixels for each (imaginary) "pixel" of the one needed for 1920x1080 resolution... only four of the pixels (2greens, one red and one blue) out of nine are interpolated for colour...

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2014, 10:01:18 am »

I like most everything about this except for...THE FREAKING STUPID DIAL interface.

+1

This is the primary reason I would never buy the D750 and also do not consider it to be a D700 replacement... I will happily continue using the D800e and maybe upgrade in a year or 2 (or not).

I would definitely bought a D4 in a small form factor packaging...

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2014, 12:01:15 pm »

Sure, it even is mirrorless!  ;D  Main reason why SLR users hate mirrorless is the absence of an optical TTL view, it's what they've been brought up with, what they can function with and what is their main idea about using a DSLR... In other words, "their eye doesn't function digitally";) There after, there are plenty that may compare beers with wine, apples with oranges, spirits against drinks, Ferraris against VW, trousers with regard to skirts, sail boats against motorboats, single ended stereos against push-pull multi transistor monsters, turntables against CDs, or Earth against Mars... It's their right, nobody can stop them from comparing the incomparable!  ???
Having been brought up with optical viewfinders and recently having tried electronic viewfinders, I now find seriously OVFs lacking. I'll be amazed if they last another decade outside of retro camera styling. WISYWIG transformed computing and this is WISYWIG for your viewfinder. One of the main benefits for me will finally being able to accurately focus manual lenses that are faster than f2.8 and actually see how the image looks at the actual depth of field. Hard to properly compose an f1.4 image when it looks so different in the viewfinder.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

jjj

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2014, 12:06:50 pm »

I believe that they did this camera specifically to attack the video market... There is a tendency into (photo) forums for people to think about them selves only, their needs or past experience, but makers still make products to attract (what they believe will be) more customers.
[My Bolding]Even worse when they complain about a camera that was very definitely not even aimed at them.

Reasons why I believe this product targets (mainly) the video enthusiast (other than specs): 1. The tilting screen, 2. The choice of sensor (24mp) is ideal for video because it uses exactly 9 pixels for each pixel required for 1080x1920 resolution (there is about 4% difference in image size but this is cropped out), if the user chooses to use the camera in APS-c mode, he then needs exactly 4 pixels to achieve the same resolution. 3. The camera is said to be particularly "quiet" for high ISO LL video....
Very sensible thinking if that's why they chose those specs.

The above is exactly the same as 5Dmkiii approach, having a very good stills camera in addition to video, only improves the product's appeal further... Now if one doesn't like "this or that dial", or the body strength, or the FPS, or the resolution, or the flash sync, they don't give a dime in Nikon (and neither would I) and they are right IMO to think so.... ;)
So are you saying they learnt from their attempt at a retro camera that eschewed video .

Torbjörn Tapani

Re:
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2014, 02:17:10 pm »

Finally a tilting screen. Nikon needs to realize this is essential for any and all cameras. Especially the bigger brother D8/810 type cameras. Had the D810 come with a tilting screen I would have upgraded the 800E. I tend to always place it low on a tripod and do some acrobatics to view either screen or viewfinder. Horrible.

kers

• Pieter Kers
Re:
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2014, 02:43:12 pm »

Finally a tilting screen. Nikon needs to realize this is essential for any and all cameras. Especially the bigger brother D8/810 type cameras. Had the D810 come with a tilting screen I would have upgraded the 800E. I tend to always place it low on a tripod and do some acrobatics to view either screen or viewfinder. Horrible.

You could buy a camranger instead
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Theodoros

Re:
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2014, 03:22:15 pm »

You could buy a camranger instead
You could also save the money...

jjj

« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2014, 07:09:47 pm »

Finally a tilting screen. Nikon needs to realize this is essential for any and all cameras.
As does Canon.

John Koerner

• "Fortune favors the bold." Virgil
    • John Koerner Photography
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2014, 07:59:02 pm »

Essential?

You mean there's never been a good shot taken without a tilting screen?

I'd say, it's "plus" (in some situations), but based on millions of good photographs being taken without one, it is pretty far from being "essential" ...

MoreOrLess

« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2014, 12:07:44 pm »

Tilting screens are certainly preferable to twisty ones for high end cameras if you ask me as the latter have never looked very robust.

I don't think Nikon targeted the D750 specifically at one existing camera but rather at several...

Cheaper/smaller version of the 5D3, might not appeal to all professional users but likely to a lot of the amature market after an all rounder.

Better speced competition for the 6D, besides the shutter issue with the D600 I think Canon got the better of Nikon by having there camera better targeted. The D600 and 6D both had advantages in different areas but the 6D seemed more clearly aimed at low light shooting with its -3 EV AF and high ISO DR, the D600 didn't have so clearly defined a market. The D750 on the other hand matches or beats the 6D almost everywhere.

Sony a7, the D750 is only very slightly smaller/lighter of course but I think by improving the AF Nikon is maximising its advantage there.

jjj

« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2014, 07:40:23 am »

Essential?

You mean there's never been a good shot taken without a tilting screen?

I'd say, it's "plus" (in some situations), but based on millions of good photographs being taken without one, it is pretty far from being "essential" ...
I guess digital isn't essential either as millions on good photos have been taken without digital sensors.  :P

Torbjörn Tapani

Re:
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2014, 11:04:14 am »

Ok so essential maybe is too strong a word but certainly up there with the most useful features. Why limit a camera for one use (eyelevel) needlessly. For a digital camera that can also record video the optical viewfinder is the plus, it's not necessary. But this is of course from my point of view. When I had a fully articulated screen I used it almost every time. So glad to see it in a new Nikon.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up