Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: custom media type for live on the 8400  (Read 1465 times)

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
custom media type for live on the 8400
« on: September 09, 2014, 07:49:41 pm »

Hi all,
   my new 8400 is happily ready to replace the non working 8300 and I'm noticing that neither breathing color no moab has custom media type files for the 8400. I'm in process of making one for live but wondering if anyone has already done that and wants to share the settings they find to be the best within the MCT?

heheapa

Re: custom media type for live on the 8400
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 09:23:09 pm »

Not sure about Moab. However, it's included in the zip file from Breathing Color ICC profile.

samueljohnchia

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 11:23:37 pm »

Hi Mark,

heheapa is right, Breathing Color does offer .AM1 files for their media. I am seeing that Chromata White is using the Water Resistant Art Canvas media setting while Lyve is using Canon Graphic Canvas. The ink usage is set to 'High' for both.

I disagree with that choice of media setting. My own tests comparing all the canvas media settings shows Canvas Matte to have the best gamut and dmax. I tested with the Canon Standard inking setting. I do not yet know how it performs with the ink limits set to 'High'. My iPF8400 is not working at the moment so I cannot test it right now.

Could you try Canvas Matte with ink limits set to 'High' and let us know how it performs?

These are the gamut volumes calculated by Colorthink for the 4 canvas media settings, profile built by i1Profiler (version 2 profile, all settings zeroed, largest tables). Lyve Canvas, no varnish, print mode highest, uni-directional. Printer head adjustment and band adjustment optimally set, and also head height:

Canvas Matte - 490, 423
Graphic Canvas - 472,930
Artistic Matte Canvas - 465,270
Water Res Art Canvas - 459,681

The additional gamut using the Canvas Matte media setting is mostly in the yellows and greens, and less so for some reds and oranges, and then just very modestly everywhere else. This represents a very important region of color for many photos.

I also have not tried other media settings intended for matte papers nor the Special 6 - 10 settings. I do not know if they offer better results.

This Saturday I am heading down to my dealer's who have a iPF6450 with spectro unit so I can build .AM1 files with color calibration data which will allow unique calibration for that particular paper. I don't have much time so I can only try out on a few papers first. If you can determine an optimal media setting, I will try and get calibration data for it.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 12:43:48 am by samueljohnchia »

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 11:20:46 am »

I just printed three illustrations with graphic canvas and high, medium hit and standard and I can't tell the difference with my naked eye. odd and slightly concerning is that all three rub off a small smudge of ink in the dark areas with very little pressure from my finger, never experienced that on the ipf8300.

samueljohnchia

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 07:27:26 pm »

slightly concerning is that all three rub off a small smudge of ink in the dark areas with very little pressure from my finger, never experienced that on the ipf8300.

Hi Mike,

I've printed on Lyve using an 8400 (same inks) and experienced exactly the same thing regardless of media setting. I've asked my local dealer who uses an iPF8300 and he too notes the same thing you raise. Notice that dense areas of matte black on Lyve look almost glossy. It's a satin matte kind of finish. I believe that's got to do with the coating, allowing less depth penetration of ink to allow Lyve to hold more gamut than Chromata White, despite the two having exactly the same canvas base. It is very fragile before varnishing. After varnishing, it is very durable.

Do you mind to try printing a target using the Canvas Matte media setting with inking set to High? If you pass me the mxf measurement data from i1Profiler (if you have that) I can build the profile the same way as I do mine and compare the gamut volumes in ColorThink.
Pages: [1]   Go Up