Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad H5X is here.  (Read 10136 times)

Willow Photography

• http://www.willow.no
Hasselblad H5X is here.
« on: September 09, 2014, 10:33:25 am »

Just in time for my 528C back so I can use my HCD28 mm for interiors .

And any third party backs   :)
Willow Photography

JV

Re: Hasselblad H5X is here.
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 11:21:45 am »

Interesting that it can act as a backup of the H5D again, contrary to the H4X.

I would assume that the next step is to offer the H5D backs again as a standalone product as well?

torger

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 11:28:37 am »

http://www.hasselblad.com/products/h-system/h5x.aspx

That page says: "For 3rd party digital backs, the H5X offers the same functionality as the H4X."

What does that mean? I guess there must be some more difference than just colors?

JV

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 11:40:27 am »

The H4X takes all 3rd party backs that also worked with the H1 and H2.

The H5X does the same but additionally it takes the H5D backs which the H4X did not do.  I don't believe the H4X took the CF and CFH backs either.

Basically the H5X body takes new and old Hasselblad backs, 3rd party backs and film magazines. 

So the Hasselblad body is completely open again, except that as far as I know it is not possible yet to buy the H5D backs separately as standalone backs.

pedro39photo

• PedroNunesPhoto
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 11:55:55 am »

Amazing news, now its possible to use the backs of the closed systems ? H3D and H3DII e H4D ? any one? Leaf DM for the old H1 and H2 etc?
There is a price already?

Joe Towner

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 12:19:17 pm »

The H4/H4X has been described by my dealer as a frankenbody, with the H5 being a cleaned up version without a number of the gremlins.  I hope that they'll let anyone with a H series actually step up to it with their existing back.  Just the ability to switch between a modern CCD, a new CMOS and an old fat pixel back all from the same body would be welcomed!  I wonder if they'd do a H5V body - H lenses with a V mount back, seeing as they've refreshed.

I've got a local event next week with some Hass folks, so I'll be asking more questions.
t: @PNWMF

JV

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 12:27:22 pm »

Amazing news, now its possible to use the backs of the closed systems ? H3D and H3DII e H4D ? any one? Leaf DM for the old H1 and H2 etc?
There is a price already?

It actually doesn't say anything about the H3D and H4D backs...

It says: All Hasselblad H5D, ixpress, CF and CFH digital backs.

I didn't see an official US price on the Hasselblad USA website:

From an online article: The H5X is available with a price tag for €4,595 (~$5,920 USD) without viewfinder, and €5,795 (~$7,465 USD) with viewfinder.

pedro39photo

• PedroNunesPhoto
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 12:36:40 pm »

Just the ability to switch between a modern CCD, a new CMOS and an old fat pixel back all from the same body would be welcomed!
If the H5X body is a true open system, for any generation or brand of backs, Hasselblad have here a true game changer 645 body in DMF. And i think will be a good bold marketing change, because the people with old backs will keep them and make technical revisions on hasselblad, the sales of H5Dx bodys and H lens will go up for phase ones users with old bodys like the mamiya 645AFD I ..II...III...DF...

Super great news and a bold move from hasselblad, maybe my nikon D810 purchase have to wait...
Finaly some exciting times again in the DMF !!!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 12:41:58 pm by pedro39photo »

Chris Livsey

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 01:12:32 pm »

I thought, and may well be wrong that the HCD 24mm, HCD 28mm and the HCD 35-90mm lenses could not be used on the H1 for example with a film back because of coverage. Now apparently the H5X allows those lenses on a film back.
Was the limitation physical or firm/software and what has changed in the H5X that can't be changed in the H1 to allow those lenses?

lance_schad

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 01:32:43 pm »

US pricing for the H5x is as follows and orders are being accepted now:

H-3013700 H5X Camera Body $6,200
H-3013702 H5X w/ HV90X-II VF $7,800
H-3013704 H5X w/ HVD-90x VF $7,800

Please note that the H5x , like the H4x are not compatible with Leaf Aptus Backs. I am only mentioning it since there was a previous comment about using it with older DM backs.

Lance
LANCE SCHAD - DIGITAL TRANSITIONS

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 02:04:18 pm »

Let me see, for €5,795 I can get the H5X body, and for €9000 I can get the H5D40. So the back is worth about €3000. Yes, that sounds about right. And so Phase One are making exactly how much when they sell you a back for $30K? What are they giving you, the photographer, for that extra money?

Edmund
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 02:51:35 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 03:02:43 pm »

http://www.hasselblad.com/products/h-system/h5x.aspx

That page says: "For 3rd party digital backs, the H5X offers the same functionality as the H4X."

What does that mean? I guess there must be some more difference than just colors?

See Item # 9 from my Top Ten list.

https://captureintegration.com/top-10-things-i-love-about-the-hasselblad-h-system/

Only a few elements were specific to the camera:

*Enhanced look and different color (looks nicer, MacBook Pro-ish)
*New buttons and top LED display (better sealing against dust, better button feel)
*True Focus II (takes into account lens curvature)
*Dedicated Profiles Button (for sharable custom user sets)

I have a call in to Hasselblad about whether True Focus II and User Profiles would be engaged for 3rd party digital backs.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

Theodoros

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 03:32:36 pm »

If the H5X body is a true open system, for any generation or brand of backs, Hasselblad have here a true game changer 645 body in DMF. And i think will be a good bold marketing change, because the people with old backs will keep them and make technical revisions on hasselblad, the sales of H5Dx bodys and H lens will go up for phase ones users with old bodys like the mamiya 645AFD I ..II...III...DF...

Super great news and a bold move from hasselblad, maybe my nikon D810 purchase have to wait...
Finaly some exciting times again in the DMF !!!

Surely the smartest move they've done for ages... There are still a lot to be done though for them to recover:

1. They must find a way (even if it is under cost) to support the backs of H3/H3ii/H4 owners.
2. They must give the ability for one to choose the H5X instead of any other H5 body to accompany the body+back combination ...even if there is some premium for such a choice. If they do, I believe they'll soon find out that complete camera systems demand (like they where offering them up to now) will drop down to negligible.
3. They must re-introduce their backs to the rest of cameras (like they did with the CF series) preferably via an adapter... That will give them the opportunity to sell a back and then attract the customer to replace his body.

Lets just hope that this is a new beginning for Hassy... It was about (late) time...  :'(

jerome_m

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2014, 03:56:35 pm »

I thought, and may well be wrong that the HCD 24mm, HCD 28mm and the HCD 35-90mm lenses could not be used on the H1 for example with a film back because of coverage. Now apparently the H5X allows those lenses on a film back.
Was the limitation physical or firm/software and what has changed in the H5X that can't be changed in the H1 to allow those lenses?

HCD lenses cannot be used on the H1 camera, the camera will lock up. On a H3D, which was the only H camera that took digital and film backs until recently, they cannot be used with a film back, but can be used with a digital back. The reason is that the HCD lenses are computed for a reduced image circle, the "D" stands in for digital. Other lenses are called HC, without the "D".

From the H4D-60, Hasselblad has had a back with a frame size as big as the film back window. The H4D-60 will automatically crop the area with HCD lenses, but that function can be disabled. Then Hasselblad warns you that you may get vignetting and fuzzy corners from the smaller image circle of these "D" lenses.

Then Hasselblad introduced the H4x and, now, the H5x models. On these cameras, the HCD lenses can be used. They will obviously exhibit a bit of vignetting and fuzzy corners, as they did on the H4D-60. It is not a big deal, simply crop to the image circle. Photographers actually using the lenses (as opposed as people simply reading about them on the Internet...) find them to be great even under these conditions. The HCD28 in particular is really, really good. The HCD24 is quite useful on the HTS system. The HCD35-90 zoom image circle will extend to film size from about 40mm onwards, compare that to the Schneider 40-80mm...

Chris Livsey

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2014, 05:01:22 pm »

HCD lenses cannot be used on the H1 camera, the camera will lock up.
Then Hasselblad introduced the H4x and, now, the H5x models. On these cameras, the HCD lenses can be used.

Thank you, so it is a software issue that causes the H1/H2 to lock up, which could be "fixed". Maybe the new open attitude will allow this and trust the owners to crop accordingly.

photo570

• http://www.shoot.co.nz
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2014, 06:17:16 pm »

First off I want to say I am not trying to be a dick.  :)

If anyone knows the answer to this, please chime in. Yaya, Nick T?

I have a Leaf Aptus II. This was the one family of digital backs that would not work with the H4X for whatever reason. Has this been fixed?

I really wanted to buy a H4X, but there was no point, as it would not work with my back, so if I wanted to upgrade from my H1, I had to buy a new back as well, anything but an Aptus II. I quite like my back, but would like a newer body. Maybe this time round?

Kind regards,
Jason Berge.
Jason Berge
www.shoot.co.nz

JV

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2014, 06:29:27 pm »

I have a Leaf Aptus II. This was the one family of digital backs that would not work with the H4X for whatever reason. Has this been fixed?

I really wanted to buy a H4X, but there was no point, as it would not work with my back, so if I wanted to upgrade from my H1, I had to buy a new back as well, anything but an Aptus II. I quite like my back, but would like a newer body. Maybe this time round?

As far as I know not.  The H4X page is still available on the Hasselblad USA website:
http://www.hasselbladusa.com/promotions/h4x-questions-and-answers.aspx

Scroll to the bottom of the page:

Due to Leaf Aptus S & Aptus II not communicating within the specified protocol the H4X currently does not function with these two digital back models. Our investigations have concluded that this is due to parts of the communication from the digital back not being within specification, causing a fault condition and a lock-up of the camera body and digital back. The H4X platform is more accurate and sensitive and therefore detects the signals from the digital back as outside of specification.
All technical information has been passed on to Leaf and we are at their disposal to help rectify the problem. At present time we have not had any response from Leaf and therefore are not in a position to say when this will work.

photo570

• http://www.shoot.co.nz
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2014, 06:47:06 pm »

I was aware of the finger pointing with the H4X. i.e. the Hasselblad statement you quoted, and the Leaf response that the communication specification was correct. My question was has this been resolved for the H5X?

Thanks anyway,
Cheers,
Jason.  :)
Jason Berge
www.shoot.co.nz

Theodoros

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2014, 07:21:01 pm »

I was aware of the finger pointing with the H4X. i.e. the Hasselblad statement you quoted, and the Leaf response that the communication specification was correct. My question was has this been resolved for the H5X?

Thanks anyway,
Cheers,
Jason.  :)
I believe that the question should be addressed to Leaf... no?

torger

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2014, 04:23:57 am »

From what I've heard it has not been resolved, which is what should be expected. The error is in the Aptus-II backs, not the H4X / H5X, and Leaf don't fix bugs in discontinued products. Credo backs will work. I haven't got a clear understanding if the two oldest Aptus 75 (not the S version) and the Aptus 22 does work or not, but I don't think many with backs that old are interested in spending money on a H5X.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 04:29:04 am by torger »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up