Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Apple Aperture  (Read 4150 times)

kbolin

• http://www.bolinphoto.com
Apple Aperture
« on: November 16, 2005, 01:14:07 am »

I've been a PC user for years, mostly because I've been in the software development field and that is what most businesses use.   When I went digital with my photography I always hesitated because I really couldn't find a workflow or software package that I really liked.  Of course I use Photoshop CS2 and enjoy the creativity, but to rapidly work with numerous photos, publish them, print, etc. it's all rather time consuming.

If you haven't looked at Apple Aperture take 1/2 hour and view the Quicktime demos.... and if you are a PC user like myself you will be rushing out and picking up yourself a Mac.  This product is incredible, amazing, stunning... call it what you like.

So once Apple moves the Mac to the Pentium chip which is expected early 2006 you can count me as one of the PC to Mac converts.

Kelly

mdbassman

• http://
Apple Aperture
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 09:05:37 am »

I've been a PC user for years, mostly because I've been in the software development field and that is what most businesses use.   When I went digital with my photography I always hesitated because I really couldn't find a workflow or software package that I really liked.  Of course I use Photoshop CS2 and enjoy the creativity, but to rapidly work with numerous photos, publish them, print, etc. it's all rather time consuming.

If you haven't looked at Apple Aperture take 1/2 hour and view the Quicktime demos.... and if you are a PC user like myself you will be rushing out and picking up yourself a Mac.  This product is incredible, amazing, stunning... call it what you like.

So once Apple moves the Mac to the Pentium chip which is expected early 2006 you can count me as one of the PC to Mac converts.

Kelly
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=51392\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I too am leaning towards a Mac platform but what advantages does the Intel have over the Mac processors? Will the Intels be using the OSX system? The price is what is holding me back at this time. Monitors also.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Apple Aperture
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 09:23:30 am »

I too am leaning towards a Mac platform but what advantages does the Intel have over the Mac processors? Will the Intels be using the OSX system? The price is what is holding me back at this time. Monitors also.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=51404\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

First off, there have been rocky issues between Motorola and Apple for some time. I believe Jobs went with Intel for a number of reasons including never piss off Steve. One big issue was Motorola didn’t have it together for G5 chips for Laptops (Powerbooks) something that Apple needs bad. Jobs has mentioned that OS X has been able to run on Intel chips for many years (sneaky guy). They can also deliver which has been a big issue for Motorola. Then there’s the iPhone rumor and the fact that the partnership with Moto and Apple with the iTunes phone was a disaster.

It’s all about the OS at this point, not the chip. The Intel chip will likely be built so it can only run OS X (and no, other Intel chips will probably not be able to run OS X). However you never know with Jobs. He could try sell PC users OS X on their current hardware.

As for Aperture, it’s pretty amazing (I spent a few hours at PhotoPlus looking it over; the only thing at that show I got excited about). I should have a copy after Thanksgiving as I’m going to do a review for PPA mag.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

mdbassman

Apple Aperture
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 10:12:40 am »

First off, there have been rocky issues between Motorola and Apple for some time. I believe Jobs went with Intel for a number of reasons including never piss off Steve. One big issue was Motorola didn’t have it together for G5 chips for Laptops (Powerbooks) something that Apple needs bad. Jobs has mentioned that OS X has been able to run on Intel chips for many years (sneaky guy). They can also deliver which has been a big issue for Motorola. Then there’s the iPhone rumor and the fact that the partnership with Moto and Apple with the iTunes phone was a disaster.

It’s all about the OS at this point, not the chip. The Intel chip will likely be built so it can only run OS X (and no, other Intel chips will probably not be able to run OS X). However you never know with Jobs. He could try sell PC users OS X on their current hardware.

As for Aperture, it’s pretty amazing (I spent a few hours at PhotoPlus looking it over; the only thing at that show I got excited about). I should have a copy after Thanksgiving as I’m going to do a review for PPA mag.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=51405\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Andrew. I linked over to your site since I saw your profile. This is why I am going to Mac. I am just not happy with the Windows platform for digital imaging processing and printing. I have been using PSE 3.0 for a year and I dont like it. I spent about 3 months trying to get my PSE images and my Epson2200 to print great prints! Yes I calibrated, or tried to, my lcd monitor but that was a huge waste of time and money! I believe to move to the Mac platform is next.
Thanks for the info.
Dan

kbolin

• http://www.bolinphoto.com
Apple Aperture
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2005, 11:14:34 am »

First off, there have been rocky issues between Motorola and Apple for some time. I believe Jobs went with Intel for a number of reasons including never piss off Steve. One big issue was Motorola didn’t have it together for G5 chips for Laptops (Powerbooks) something that Apple needs bad. Jobs has mentioned that OS X has been able to run on Intel chips for many years (sneaky guy). They can also deliver which has been a big issue for Motorola. Then there’s the iPhone rumor and the fact that the partnership with Moto and Apple with the iTunes phone was a disaster

Apple needs Intels mobile chips because they have had problems with heat, performance and battery life on the motorola chips.  

Hummm.... OS X on PC hardware.  This would be a radical change for Apple and unlikely to occur.  Apple has continued to gain market share over the past couple of years.  I truly doubt people would switch their PC box from Windows to OS X because they have greater software availability for their PC's.

I for one look forward to the switch.  I use a PC for my work and would keep it for that reason but for my home photography use... here I come MAC.

So the question today is... should I wait for the Pentium Mac or go with the current model?

Kelly

mdbassman

Apple Aperture
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2005, 11:21:27 am »

Apple needs Intels mobile chips because they have had problems with heat, performance and battery life on the motorola chips. 
Hummm.... OS X on PC hardware.  This would be a radical change for Apple and unlikely to occur.  Apple has continued to gain market share over the past couple of years.  I truly doubt people would switch their PC box from Windows to OS X because they have greater software availability for their PC's.

I for one look forward to the switch.  I use a PC for my work and would keep it for that reason but for my home photography use... here I come MAC.

So the question today is... should I wait for the Pentium Mac or go with the current model?

Kelly
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=51416\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

So the question today is... should I wait for the Pentium Mac or go with the current model? Kelly

You are correct Kelly!
Dan

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Apple Aperture
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2005, 12:39:09 pm »

I agree it is very unlikely we’ll see OS X run on PC’s. It’s something Job’s has protected (at a huge cost) for years. But it’s not impossible.

As for buying now or later, well as far as the software is concerned, by the time all the Intel stuff is out, everything should run pretty well. I KNOW for a fact that Photoshop runs just fine under the Intel box because our engineering dept (for Pixel Genius) has one. Developers have had access to this hardware since the time Jobs announced the new chips.

Last “rumors” were by January, we might see the first boxes with the new chips. Don’t know if that will be laptops or desktops. However, if you need to run things, now, buy now. For example, I just decided I needed a newer, faster Powerbook. I’m not sure I want to own the very first Intel Laptop (although I’m sure it’s going to be fast, cool and I’ll probably eat my words). From the standpoint of the OS, I doubt we will notice much if any difference so if you need time to get up to speed on OS X now, go for it. Many PC users who move to OS X seem to do fine since they are used to “getting under the hood” and since OS X is Unix based, you can do all this if, IF you wish.

All the heavy lifting for Aperture is done with the video card so I expect the new quad processing G5’s just announced will scream. When I get my reviewers copy, I fully intend to see how it preforms on my 1.67hz G4 Powerbook as well as my 1.8 ghz G5 desktop. Neither are considered quick by modern standards (not to self, need to buy new, faster G5 desktop <g>).
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: [1]   Go Up