Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shooting Nikkor 14-24 on the end of a Canon ...  (Read 2439 times)

John Koerner

• "Fortune favors the bold." Virgil
    • John Koerner Photography
Shooting Nikkor 14-24 on the end of a Canon ...
« on: September 08, 2014, 07:38:12 pm »

Does anyone do this?

What adapter do you use, Novoflex (other)?

How do you like the results compared to the Canon 14mm / Zeiss 15mm?

Is there degradation with the adapter?

Thanks for any feedback

NancyP

Re: Shooting Nikkor 14-24 on the end of a Canon ...
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 10:27:19 am »

My guess is that many of the people on this forum may have done so in the past, but when Nikon came out with the D800+ cameras, they may have gone back to Nikon bodies.

If you need 14mm, consider the Samyang 14mm f/2.8. If you get a good copy, it is an amazingly good lens - nowhere near a Zeiss 15, but amazingly good considering the price for this MF lens ($300.00 USD) - I have heard people place it on the level of the Canon 15mm when Samyang is stopped down to f/5.6.

Otherwise, I would consider the newly issued EF 16-35 f/4 L IS, which has gotten very high marks for image quality.

John Koerner

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 01:58:05 am »

My guess is that many of the people on this forum may have done so in the past, but when Nikon came out with the D800+ cameras, they may have gone back to Nikon bodies.

Hi and thanks for your response. What you say makes sense, but I was hoping to get feedback as described above.

If you need 14mm, consider the Samyang 14mm f/2.8. If you get a good copy, it is an amazingly good lens - nowhere near a Zeiss 15, but amazingly good considering the price for this MF lens ($300.00 USD) - I have heard people place it on the level of the Canon 15mm when Samyang is stopped down to f/5.6.

I don't see how it could be both "amazing" and "nowhere near a Zeiss" at the same time ...

Otherwise, I would consider the newly issued EF 16-35 f/4 L IS, which has gotten very high marks for image quality.

I read them, and it seems like a good bang for the buck, thanks. But was still curious about the results of the original question ...

Jack

NancyP

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 12:17:29 am »

Samyang 14mm: amazing for a $300.00 lens - but not perfect. Of course a $3,000.00 Zeiss 15mm lens ought to be better, and be free of lens-to-lens variation. Maybe if you try other sites, getdpi, Fred Miranda, Canon Rumors, etc, you will find a current user of the Nikon 14-24 on a Canon body. I know that I have seen images with this combo somewhere.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 07:31:21 am »

John:

The only review I saw on this setup, 14-24 on Canon, was using a custom adapter that had a lever that allowed for about 5 to 6 F stops.  The user was a noted Landscape shooter, but the article was written about 4 years ago.  Back then I was still shooting Canon, and I attempted to contact the writer, but never heard back. 

The main issue is that the adapter was a custom  one.   Novoflex may now have one which would make this solution a possibly better consideration.  There has to be a coupling for the aperture. 

As a Landscape shooter, I carry the 14-24 everywhere, putting up with the weight and filter and flare issues due to the outer element. However my 14-24 has really never disappointed me.  Amazing lens, very sharp.  I use this lens in all my night work as it is excellent from F 3.5 out. 

Tamron appears to be  announcing a 15-30 at Photokina.  So far their newer lenses have been impressive. 

The Rokinon/Samyang/Bower 14mm is worth picking up.  This lens has some distortion issues, but does an amazing job for the price.  They are selling for under 400.00 now.  The manual focus takes a bit of getting used to. 

Paul

Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

NancyP

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 12:35:43 pm »

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/54368586

Here's a user.

Nikon adapters: there are now several sources for Nikon G lens to EOS body adapters: Novoflex, Fotodiox Pro, Rayqual (a high quality Japanese camera machinist company: https://shop.cameraquest.com/rayqual-canon-eos-adapters/ ), and probably more
F mount adapters won't work - F mount adapters are for lenses with manual aperture rings, the old pre-AI/AI/AIS ones.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 12:50:01 pm »

That's good to see. Just wish the Canon TS-E lenses would work on Nikon. Nikon has a bit if work to do on their wide PC-E lenses. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

powerslave12r

• Flickr
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 02:29:16 pm »

I don't see how it could be both "amazing" and "nowhere near a Zeiss" at the same time ...

It can take really great quality photos but the distance scale, build etc isn't accurate, so hyperfocal etc needs some trial and error, then there's the mustache distortion which is fixable and all of this for a princely sum of <$300 new.

I returned mine because of the lack of filters at the time. Now there seem to be some options for it.
http://www.flickr.com/garagenoise
DP2M | X-M1 | 6D | TS-E24IIL | EF24-105L

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 02:53:49 pm »

On the Rokinon 14mm for sure the distance scale takes some getting used to.  ;)

There are posts and videos where folks are removing the distance scale and relocating it to be more accurate. Filter sets that are now shipping are good quality glass.  No color cast cast to ND filter.

But at around F 6.3 to F7.1 it's impressive.

Paul

Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

NancyP

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 03:15:58 pm »

The Samyang/Bower/Rokinon/Pro-optic/Vivitar/etc 14mm f/2.8 lens has a following among the landscape astrophotography crowd due to low coma and due to reasonable performance at f/2.8. For jaw-droppingly good image quality, I suppose one should do panoramas with a better quality longer FL lens with low coma (the Sigma Art 35 and 50 f/1.4 come to mind among the under-$1,000.00 lenses, FF corner coma-less at f/2). The Samyang is nice for non-astro landscape photography at f/5.6 to f/8. Focus markings? I look at live view 10x to check focus. Infinity hard stop would be convenient, but for $300.00, one can't have everything.

powerslave12r

• Flickr
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2014, 03:22:12 pm »

The Samyang/Bower/Rokinon/Pro-optic/Vivitar/etc 14mm f/2.8 lens has a following among the landscape astrophotography crowd due to low coma and due to reasonable performance at f/2.8. For jaw-droppingly good image quality, I suppose one should do panoramas with a better quality longer FL lens with low coma (the Sigma Art 35 and 50 f/1.4 come to mind among the under-$1,000.00 lenses, FF corner coma-less at f/2). The Samyang is nice for non-astro landscape photography at f/5.6 to f/8. Focus markings? I look at live view 10x to check focus. Infinity hard stop would be convenient, but for $300.00, one can't have everything.

Indeed, if that's your trip, look here: http://extremeinstability.com/2013-5-4b.html, http://www.lonelyspeck.com/rokinon-14mm-f2-8-review/
http://www.flickr.com/garagenoise
DP2M | X-M1 | 6D | TS-E24IIL | EF24-105L

John Koerner

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2014, 11:24:12 am »

What is interesting is the Novoflex adapter is $269, yet there are other vendors (FotodioX and Vello) which go for a mere $68.61 and $34.95, respectively, and have better reviews.

The new Canon 16-35 does sound like a good lens and a great deal. My problem with this lens is the range of 16-35.

Nikon's range of 14-24 just makes more sense, conceptually, given the fact its next zoom is a 24-70, and for the life of me I don't know why Canon doesn't make this same 14-24 range available (as both companies make 24-70, then a 70-200, then a 200-400, to blend together nicely and cover all ranges.)

So where does 16-35 come from? Why would I need the overlap from 24-35 that my 24-70 already covers? It's a minor point, but it's something my OCD can't process (lol).

Nikon's 14-24 not only is a great lens, covering its range with the highest marks, but it just is conceptually sensible to me as the lens to come before my 24-70, with no wasted overlap. Not only that, but Nikon's is as good as any of the primes within its range, and that includes the Zeiss 21, and yet offers the flexibility of a zoom.

I don't know what Canon was thinking by making a 16-35, rather than a 14-24, given the fit/ranges of its other zooms that follow.
I like the specs and reviews of the new f/4 iteration from Canon, but like both the specs and the sensible range of the Nikon even better.

I don't want to buy from an outside vendor (Tamron, etc.), and I especially don't want to with a range where there's overlap. I would consider using Zeiss, because their build quality is superior to Canon's L (not inferior, like the rest), but their 16-35 not only isn't as good as the Nikon 14-24, but it has the same inane range as the Canon.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 11:29:26 am by John Koerner »

Torbjörn Tapani

Re:
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2014, 12:12:14 pm »

Nikon has a 16-35 as well. Sony coming. It's just a very useful range. You might pair it with a short tele prime and not another zoom. 14-24 is really wide and a lot less versitile and no filters. I love mine but for a press photographer or everyday use going to 35 makes a lot more sense.
Pages: [1]   Go Up