Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's the difference (between 2 images)?  (Read 1768 times)

howardm

What's the difference (between 2 images)?
« on: September 08, 2014, 08:55:11 am »

Is anyone aware of a plugin/script that lets me look at the differences between Develop settings between 2 images?  Sometimes I'll do multiple VCs to explore different develop ideas but then come back a week later and say 'what did I do differently between these?' without having to open each image and then walk through each Develop tool and it's setting.  I'd love to have a plugin/script that lets me see via a simple text output (or more if so inclined) as to the differences between the setting of each tool in each image.

kirkt

Re: What's the difference (between 2 images)?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 10:06:11 am »

You can do it, but it is a bit clunky.  LR for some reason does not permit you to save the XML sidecar for virtual copies of a"master" raw file.  You can CMD-S (CTRL-S on PC) while in the Library module to save the sidecar for a raw file.  If you create a Virtual Copy of that raw, you can make edits, but you cannot save a unique sidecar for that VC.  There is a work-around, however.  You can select the VC as the new Master, from the Photo menu:

Photo > Set copy as Master

Now you can CMD-S and save the sidecar for the VC, now designated as the Master.

Here's what I tried:

1) Make a VC of your raw.
2) Make your adjustments to the raw (if you desire) and save the sidecar (CMD-S).
3) Copy that sidecar into a directory that is not where the raw currently resides.
4) Make your adjustments to the VC.
5) Designate it the new Master and CMD-S to save the sidecar for the VC.

Now you have two sidecar files, but they are named identically.  You need to change one of them so that you can differentiate between the two.  Let's say you name them:

original.xmp
vc.xmp

Now you have a human readable XML snapshot of both settings.  You can use any number of tools to compare and point out the differences between the two files.  Word has the "Compare Documents" operation, etc.

The simplest way is to use the "diff" command line tool (at least for the Mac Terminal):

diff original.xmp vc.xmp > difference.txt

will compare the two documents and write the differences to a text file, here called "difference.txt."

There are probably multiple ways to accomplish this same thing.  My understanding is that LR writes the sidecar for the original raw, but writes the VC settings to the LR database.  Who knows why this is the preferred way, but if you need to do this for only a few images, it may work.  If you have a lot of images on which to perform this task, well ... good luck!

You also may want to look into LR Snapshots, but I honestly do not use LR very much, so I cannot help you there.  Apparently each snapshot (which is just a text list of the collection of settings for the image state when you make the snapshot) is stored in the XML sidecar for that image.  This way, instead of making virtual copies, you could make several snapshots on the image as you progress through various renderings for that image.  When you save (CMD-S) the sidecar, it will contain ALL of the snapshots and the settings for each one.  Problem is, you will have to go through the XML and find each section in the XML where a new snapshot exists and compare that section of XML to another.  There are probably XML parsers that will make this easier, either comparing sections of XML in a single file or breaking out each snapshot section of XML into a new text file for comparison.

Maybe someone else can chime in.

kirk
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 10:16:59 am by kirkt »

Simon Garrett

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 10:15:47 am »

LR for some reason does not permit you to save the XML sidecar for virtual copies of a"master" raw file. 

Rob Cole has an LR plug-in to save sidecars of virtual copies; see http://www.robcole.com/Rob/ProductsAndServices/

kirkt

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 10:19:28 am »

This one?

http://www.robcole.com/Rob/ProductsAndServices/xEmPLrPlugin/

That is quite a collection of plug-ins!

kirk

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 10:21:56 am »

LR for some reason does not permit you to save the XML sidecar for virtual copies of a"master" raw file.  

It's because LR virtual copies mean nothing outside LR.

Anyway, my ListView plugin would be a much easier way than comparing XMP files. You just export the photos' develop settings to a spreadsheet.

John

« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 10:23:59 am by john beardsworth »

kirkt

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 11:48:31 am »

It's because LR virtual copies mean nothing outside LR.

But I can render the VC settings in ACR, outside of LR, if I have the original raw and the XML for the VC.

kirk

howardm

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 11:49:44 am »

Thanks John :)  I figured you or Jeff Friedl would have already cracked this issue.

I see that there is a 10 column limit.  Will the Develop settings be more than it can handle or does
it actually export all the Develop stuff as a single column?

I will try to road test it in a few days.

I was really hoping for some sort of 'reverse-sync' wherein a popup would appear and show tabular-ly show the different settings.
Having to export to Excel just sort of adds extra steps etc.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 11:53:26 am »

Well, you don't have to export to Excel, Howard, but that gets you past the 10 column limit (there's a "Full Monty" preset).

Manoli

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 06:33:21 am »

Found what I was looking for via Rob Cole.........

Thanks for the heads-up, Howard. More than 'just useful' plug-in for comparing versions. Rob Cole should up his profile - I tried many a Google search and his website never came up (at least not in the first 15 pages).

Pages: [1]   Go Up