Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Mamiya Leaf announces the New Leaf Credo 50  (Read 9569 times)

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
Mamiya Leaf announces the New Leaf Credo 50
« on: September 08, 2014, 07:00:16 am »

Hi all,

The below Press Release has just gone out. Exciting times with Photokina starting in just 8 days! I hope to see some of you lot in Cologne!!!

TEL AVIV, September 8, 2014 -- Fourteen years since the CMOS-based 6MP Leaf C-MOST digital back was announced at Photokina 2000, Mamiya Leaf today introduced the Credo 50, a
50 megapixel CMOS-based system that gives photographers a wider range of settings -- from ISO 100 to ISO 6400 -- for greater versatility and higher performance in capturing legendary
Leaf colors under a variety of shooting conditions, including available light.

“The Leaf Credo 50 simply gives photographers more options,” said Ziv Argov, Vice President, Mamiya Leaf. “Its Sony 50 MP CMOS sensor enables full-resolution image captures up to ISO
6400. Its new image processor improves Live View performance and data flow, while expanding dynamic range to 14-stops. For wedding, portrait, fashion and action shooting, this system
delivers.”

* Live View -- The Leaf Credo 50 supports incredibly fluid high-quality live view for exact composition as well as more accurate and selective focusing, whether it is done on the digital back’s LCD, or on a computer monitor through Capture One software.
* Compelling, Clean Color Rendition -- 50 MP resolution
* Very Long Exposures -- up to One hour
* Giant Touch Screen -- 3.2” display at 1.15 megapixel resolution
* 14 f-stops dynamic range -- one shot captures retain amazing details in highlights and shadows
* Enhanced Image Processor -- faster and cleaner Live View, 2.3 GB Data Flow, 1.2 frames per second capture rate and faster read/write speeds.

Full specifications are available at: http://www.mamiyaleaf.com/credo50.html

So what’s it like shooting with the Leaf Credo 50?

Three photographers who’ve tested the system share their experiences.

“Leaf has always been known for its film-like color, which is true,” said Cameron Davidson, aerial photographer. “With the new Leaf Credo 50, I’m finding that I can shoot a high-contrast
situation and hold details in both shadows and sunlight. For aerials, I’m always facing these issues, shooting in low light and the Leaf Credo 50 is ideal for this work.”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOGseLj1O8A

“The better the camera, the more options you get,” said fashion photographer Frank Doorhof. “The new Leaf Credo 50 is a system that’s great to build on. You get incredible dynamic range,
very good noise control, and a bright touch display on the back, so when you’re outside, you can easily see the images you’re shooting. You can shoot with natural light, tungsten, lightbulbs or candles -- all with amazing quality.”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB4CHePhqNw

“For my project ‘New York Love Story’, I’m shooting the city from rooftops,” said Karsten Staiger, “The Leaf Credo 50 is an amazing piece of equipment. Its high dynamic range is very
important for me. Plus the ISO can go up to 6400, and the new Live View is just incredible -- I was able to zoom into the building, with a 300 mm lens, focus it and see people on the Empire
State Building. It’s just incredible the details I’m getting!”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94e7ZaVm1RY

For those attending Photokina 2014 Exhibition, the new Leaf Credo 50 will be on display in Hall 04.1 at Stand B040 C048

Pricing and Availability
The Mamiya Leaf Credo 50 Digital back is priced at 26,995 USD / 19.995 EUR. A Mamiya Leaf Credo 50 system is priced at 30,995 USD / 22.995 EUR. There is a Wide-Spectrum back
option for Near IR and UV imaging
. The Mamiya Leaf Credo 50 may be ordered now through Mamiya Leaf partners world wide (http://www.mamiyaleaf.com/partners.html). For existing
Mamiya Leaf customers, attractive digital back and/or camera system upgrades are available.

Shipping begins September 16, 2014.
The Mamiya Leaf Credo 50 comes with Capture One software for optimal capture, RAW image processing and image editing.
To schedule a hands-on demo of the Leaf Credo 50, please see this page: http://www.mamiyaleaf.com/arrange_for_a_demo.html

About Mamiya Leaf
Mamiya Leaf represents the combined experience and expertise of Mamiya and Leaf -- two legendary brands. Together, they represent 100 years of camera, optics and digital imaging expertise, including the launch of the world’s first commercial medium format digital camera back. Mamiya Leaf is dedicated to improving the quality of its products, technologies and services to advance the industry and support all those who are passionate about digital photography. The company serves its customers worldwide through dedicated dealers. For more
information, please see: www.mamiyaleaf.com

One of the many pictures I took while working and testing the new back...

# #
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

Frank Doorhof

• http://
Re: Mamiya Leaf announces the New Leaf Credo 50
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 07:13:41 am »

I've been shooting with this back for a few weeks and can tell you that it's an awesome back.

The back features the new 50MP Sony sensor but with the Leaf technology behind it it will give you the look you are used to from Leaf.

I used the back in several workshops, fashion shoots and we travelled through Denmark with the back (indeed that was the camera I was using).

If you're in the market for a real jump in quality in MF check out the Credo50.

You will get usable images all the way up to ISO6400 and it has the skin tones you are used to from Leaf, but it also adds speed to the system which is ideal for shooting series within a fashion shoot.

The new locking mechanism makes sure that the back stays put and can't be disconnected by accident.

I will write a more complete review in a few days on www.frankdoorhof.com

Check out the back here :
http://www.mamiyaleaf.com/credo50.html

Lorenzo Pierucci

• Work hard & be nice to people
    • Lorenzo Pierucci Studio
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 07:34:07 am »

I've been shooting with this back for a few weeks and can tell you that it's an awesome back.

The back features the new 50MP Sony sensor but with the Leaf technology behind it it will give you the look you are used to from Leaf.

Check out the back here :
http://www.mamiyaleaf.com/credo50.html

This is a good thing to hear, even if this back is way out of my reach for the next years ( unless extraordinary events... ), one thing that i love of the Leaf backs is that they look as Digital Film. Personally this is the main reason that that divide them from 35mm DSLR, under the 33 MP.

Some even say that for this they are better even of the PhaseOne back, which i never tried tho...
Work hard & be nice to people

Frank Doorhof

• http://
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 07:40:54 am »

As far as my experience goes all digital back manufacturers have their own "look" even if they use the same sensor.
Look for example what Nikon is doing with the 36mp Sony sensor comparing the D810 to the A7r. Both have the same sensor but a different look.

I personally choose the Leaf back way back because of the look and the skin rendering and I've never looked back :D

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 07:49:56 am »

We enjoyed testing the new Credo 50 and making comparisons to the IQ250 regarding color.

I don't know when we will publish a formal article, but we have the files now. So if any of our customers would like to see them just shoot me an email.

See you at Photokina Yair!

torger

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 08:01:46 am »

Great to at last see the Leaf product using the Sony sensor, attractively priced compared to IQ250 and almost the exact same price as H5D-50c, but with a bit better technical features (live view, long exposure). I guess many have waited for this to come. Should be very interesting to see differences in color rendition. Maybe it's only profiles this time around?

The D800, A7r and D810 actually have slightly different sensors, while as far as I understand all the Sony MF offers have exactly the same sensor, including CFA. IR filter can differ though, and of course the software processing pipeline.

In Capture One I guess it's possible to use IQ250 profiles with raws coming from the Credo, and the other way around? This would mean that if the sensor and hardware pipeline is equal enough you can choose if you want the Phase One or the Leaf look, regardless if you own an IQ250 or a Credo 50.

Doug's side-by-side testing could provide an answer to that.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 08:04:43 am by torger »

Doug Peterson

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 09:19:31 am »

Doug's side-by-side testing could provide an answer to that.

Indeed.

Theodoros

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 09:51:25 am »

V-mount? ...at three times the price of a CFV-50c?  ??? ...Good luck!  ;D

Doug Peterson

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 10:00:44 am »

V-mount? ...at three times the price of a CFV-50c?  ??? ...Good luck!  ;D

A street price of $26,990 vs $15,500 is not remotely three times. Moreover many will be upgrading to this from an existing Leaf back where they will pay much less than that street price. You'd need to speak to a Hassy dealer to get upgrade pricing to a CFV-50c, but the upgrade pricing we can provide to a Leaf back is quite attractive.

Whatever premium remains:
- The ability to rotate the back to take native-vertical shots in addition to native-horizontal (the CFV-50c cannot be rotated)
- USB3 (as well as FW800)
- Retina resolution screen
- High Speed touch-screen user interface
- Customizable exposure warning
- Live view available on the LCD, no tethering required

The Leaf color comes free :).
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 10:05:53 am by Doug Peterson »

Theodoros

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 10:10:08 am »

it's still good luck!  :D honestly!  :o

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 10:31:25 am »

Doug:

I got a bit confused on this:

- The ability to rotate the back to take native-vertical shots in addition to native-horizontal (the CFV-50c cannot be rotated)

Rotate the back, where, on a DF+ or tech solution, or does the chip rotate like some of the earlier leaf backs offered. 

Thanks
Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

JV

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 10:45:41 am »

I would assume that the Credo 50 is the same as the previous generation of Credo backs.

On Hasselblad V and Hy6 they could no longer be rotated (as the Leaf Aptus-II backs) but they could be mounted both horizontally and vertically.

OK for indoors usage IMO, no ideal for outdoors shooting.

torger

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2014, 10:49:25 am »

Hasselblad's CFV-50c lacks live view stand-alone, a pretty huge disappointment for being a CMOS back. I guess someone could put in $10k extra for a Credo 50 just to get that live view for the V-mount, but more likely wait until Hasselblad sorts it out, which probably requires new back hardware though...

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2014, 11:02:25 am »

JV,

Thanks, I missed the mounted on Hasselblad, body issue. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2014, 12:20:44 pm »

This is excellent news! I've been hoping Leaf would could out with the CMOS Credo.  Will it be available in the Hy6 mount?
Rolleiflex USA

Theodoros

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2014, 12:26:31 pm »

This is excellent news! I've been hoping Leaf would could out with the CMOS Credo.  Will it be available in the Hy6 mount?

Only if Leica will bring out an adapter that will allow the 6xxx/HY6 lenses to work with full dedication on the Leica S...  8)

buckshot

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2014, 01:37:47 pm »

Hasselblad's CFV-50c lacks live view stand-alone, a pretty huge disappointment for being a CMOS back...

I think there's a reasonable chance this will be added via a firmware update.

bcooter

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2014, 01:56:05 pm »

...Good luck!

If I was buying a cmos digital back (I'm not)*, and I ran the numbers off the top of my head, given that I have 4 contax bodies, 6 finders, 35, 45, 55, 80 120, 140 lenses (twice for backup) two Leaf backs would cost me 50k U.S.

If I scratched everything and went with the Pentax and needed double everything, I'd be 20k for cameras, probably 30 or so for glass and other stuff, so the costs would be a wash or a little higher with the Pentax and of course with Leaf I'd
have a phone number of who to call, professional software since I use my contax fast lenses and waist level finders, along with a Leica S2 that cost me less than even the Pentax.

So the pricing  for the new credo doesn't sound "that" bad, though like everyone I'd rather see it at 15k.

For me and our present work,  where the bottom falls out with high priced still cameras, the Pentax included) is for 25k I can add another RED, which will get more use for my work than any medium format camera, or  . . . 3 more HMI's which definitely will get more use.

What I have to assume is the Leaf/Phase people know what they're doing and I don't think they're just thinking let's see what we can get away with, I assume they know what it costs to make a digital back and price it accordingly for the professional.

Which makes me wonder is Pentax making a profit off their camera, hoping to make it up on lens sales, or is there a huge economy of scale going on?

Either way I wish them all well.

*Though I think there is nothing wrong with a cmos back, I kind if miss the point, as to me a still camera with a lot of pixels in a 43 format is usually for slower more contemplative imagery.

The first two of these images were shot with fairly low light, around 800 iso.  I never really think of needing 3200 iso for a larger, slower camera, but other image makers will differ in their needs.

50mp cmos wouldn't have changed these images one bit and for faster, more lifestyle work, I'd probably go with a smaller more flexible, faster system.

IMO

BC

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2014, 02:47:50 pm »

*Though I think there is nothing wrong with a cmos back, I kind if miss the point, as to me a still camera with a lot of pixels in a 43 format is usually for slower more contemplative imagery.

Hi, could you use a stop more dynamic range, live view?

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Theodoros

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2014, 02:57:40 pm »

Hi, could you use a stop more dynamic range, live view?

Cheers,
Bart
+1 hour capture (for leaf), +MS ability for Hasselblad (they just announced all new 50MS and 200MS based on the Sony Cmos sensor). The thing is none provides all those features on an open system back and additionally, the sensor size and the small pixels. Makers like to provide things in steps... Lets see what Leica/Sinar will have to say about this.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up