Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase One 645DF+ Lenses?  (Read 4783 times)

TNMark

Phase One 645DF+ Lenses?
« on: September 08, 2014, 02:02:18 am »

OK.....

I have a Phase One 645DF+

I know I can use Phase One or Mamiya Lenses on it.....

How do I know WHICH lenses will work on it (IE autofocus and set F Stops)?   Example I know all about Canon lenses and if you would say "You can only USE L Lenses"... That I understand...

So how do you identify various Phase One or Mamiya Lenses?   I know part of it seems to be if the lens doesn't have an aperture ring, you would think it works (the camera body sets the F Stop electronically...)... However I have a Mamiya 75-150 F4.5 that doesn't talk to the camera?

Any thoughts would help....

BTW....   The back I have came from CI in ATL originally... My body was from there and I've gotten a few other things from them..  I even went down there with a friend for the introduction of the IQ250 (which was the first Phase One back I ever shot)...  Weather was crap that day (ATL snowstorm a few days before..   Me and a friend were the only ones there...

Mark H
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 02:14:21 am by TNMark »

PhotoEcosse

Re: Phase One 645DF+ Lenses?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 09:08:49 am »

A strange question to find in the Beginner's Questions section.

Not normally a camera you would expect to find a beginner using.

You may have more luck posting it in another section.
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 03:43:05 pm »

You have the Phase One DF+, so you pretty much can use any Mamiya, Phase One lens out there, plus with adapter, (and you will need to check with a dealer) Hasselblad lenses.

Mamiya, Manual Focus lenses, mostly will have the aperture ring on them, so you may have to manually stop down depending on the age of the lens.  These lenses are still very good in the most part, and can be found used for bargain prices. 

Phase One AF, and Mamiya AF, more modern optics for the most part.  Usually have the D letter on them (meaning Digital optimized) Many of these lenses will have a clutch to allow you to drop to manual focus, none will have a manual aperture ring (that I am aware of).

Examples of these, Mamiya 28mm F4.5, Mamiya 35mm F3.5, 55mm F2.8 75-150 (I believe F 4.5) Wides will show a bit soft towards the corners especially on 60MP backs or higher.  The vast majority of these lenses are branded both in a Phase One Digital and Mamiya brand.  There is no difference in them, so if you can find a used Mamiya 28mm F4.5 odds are it will list for less than the equivalent Phase One 28mm F 4.5 lens. 

Phase One LS (Leaf Shutter) Made by Schneider.  In some cases, these lenses just have a leaf shutter added like the 28mm LS, most of the rest, 55mm 110mm 240mm are all new designs and excellent optics, but expensive at the same time.  If you don't need the Leaf shutter, you might consider the older Phase One Mamiya stuff.  I believe the LS 75-150 is also the same optically as the old AF 75-150, just has the leaf shutter added.

Remember, with the DF+, you still fire the focal plane shutter, it's not disabled with the leaf shutter lenses, so you have a chance of getting some vibration at certain shutter speeds. 

Everything I have read on the LS glass is that they are optically as good as most of the Tech camera lenses, however you don't have all the other options with them you get with a tech camera body.

The newest lenses in the lineup is the 40-80 zoom.  Very expensive, but seems to have a very good optical design. 

As you are just starting out, if you are in the US, contact a dealer about a demo of some of these lenses, also at least one dealer I know of in the US used to sell very good quality used Phase One, and Mamiya lenses, Capture Integration in Atlanta. 

You can find out a bit more info on the main Mamiya website, take a bit of digging to get to the specs, Phase One's website also eventually allows you to dig to the specs. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

TNMark

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 02:11:49 am »

Let say this, I'm not a photographic beginner by a long shot..... I'm a Phase One Medium Format beginner ... thats for sure.....

Paul 2660....  You pretty much told me what I was after (looking for "D" lenses and I see that on the lenses now)... I do have one question or problem as the case may be ....

I have a Mamiya 75-150 F4.5 that doesn't talk to the camera..

Well it sort of does....  When you mount the lens and power up the camera body it will "talk" to the camera, set F-Stops, Autofocus, etc...   Problem becomes if you shut the camera off ...  Then when you turn it back on the lens doesn't talk to the camera again until you at remove the lens and put it back on.  Remounting the lens seems to start communication again...  I have a few lenses and none of the others do that...  So I'm guessing I have a problem with the lens?   Seems like I was actually reading the manual and there seems to be a custom function that
allows the body to set a newly mounted lens to the same F Stop as the lens you just took off...  Wondering if that had anything to do with it?

In the alternative I'm wondering if there are any Custom Function or such that I'm supposed to set?  I did't really see any...

Thoughts?

Mark H

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 07:01:15 am »

Mark:

You might need to update the lens firmware.  Many of the Mamiya/Phase One D lenses have firmware on the lens, that is important for communication.  I don't believe this can be done by you, instead the lens will need to go to either a Phase One dealer (they should be able to update the lens firmware as this is the same lens sold by Phase One as they have both the LS and non LS versions branded now).  If not the MAC group, which is Mamiya's service organization can do it.  They are in New York, not sure of the city. 

This type of issue (communication between lens and camera) seems to be a common issue with both the DF and DF+ bodies. 

I don't think you will find a custom function that will fix it. 

If the lens is the LS version, you may need to send it both the camera body and lens. 

If you are in the US, you can reach out to either:

Digital Transitions  Phase One Dealer in NYC
Capture Integration  Phase One Dealer in Atlanta
Bear Photographic   Phase One Dealer in CA (I believe they still are)

SADLY Phase One does not have a "tech"support line to call in the US.  They rely on the "dealer" channel to offer this.  You can open a problem ticket with Phase One, from their website, but they will not be able to physically fix the issue. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

TNMark

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 01:42:30 am »

Paul

Thank you very much...  Didn't realize there was firmware in the lens......

Mark H

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 02:58:44 pm »

Yes most of the D Mamiya and Phase lenses have firmware. At least the more modern ones. The D versions of the 35mm and 45mm don't as I recall.

Gets a bit tricky as both the DF+ and the lens involved need to be optimized.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2014, 03:52:52 pm »

Hi,

Post on the medium format section and you will get immediate attention :-)

Best regards
Erik

A strange question to find in the Beginner's Questions section.

Not normally a camera you would expect to find a beginner using.

You may have more luck posting it in another section.
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: [1]   Go Up