Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printer Suggestions for Canvas media printing Art for the range of 4k to 6k used  (Read 1160 times)

photoguy90210

Hello everyone, Im looking to purchase a printer for the use of printing canvas art.  I have heard so many brands and models so I figure I would turn to everyone and get your guys recommendations.   I think buying a used machine will be good for me getting in and getting my feet wet.   Please send me some suggestions  from the range of $4000 to $6000  I would like to stay in there, but if there is something just above I might be able to swing it if its really worth it.   I will be printing about 200 pieces a month to 300 a month max currently.

Any help would greatly be appreciated!  Thanks

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas

I sure would not spend that much and get a used machine, instead buy a new one and get an extended warranty. Start fresh and don't inherit problems.

As for brands,  Epson makes both solvent and aqueous printers. Most of the on line canvas shops have moved to solvent as no coating post print is required.  Solvent has a higher start up cost and will need high volumes to cost justify.

Epson aqueous. 9900 44 inch (remember if gallery wrapped work you will have to allow for the wrap).   11880 60 inch. 11880 you need some pretty high volumes to justify.

Canon 8400 or 8300 44 inch.    9400 60 inch.

HP also has a line up but I have never use them.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

aaronchan

I have used a 3 brand printers.

Epson, I like the older models, the current models just clog whenever they needed to, and mostly unclogable.

HP, they are not the best machine for canvas when it comes to productivity. The built-in cutter won't cut canvas, not even the Z6200!

Canon, they are fast, reliable and easy to use. I have been printing tons of canvas with the 8300. I believed the newer 8400 would just do the same thing.

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer

you can buy a new canon ipf8400 for $3999 AND get an $800 rebate. I wouldn't dream of spending $4-6k on a used machine. The canons are lovely and I've never once regretted switching from epson. You'll get an easy and fast machine that comes with a full set of inks and it'll easily handle your 200 piece/month workload.

call John at Shades of Paper or Chris at IT Supplies and order one.

photoguy90210

Thanks so much for the advice everyone.  Anyone with anymore of their personal experiences with printers for printing canvas please share.  I want to make a good decision based on multiple experiences and trying to get a good overall idea.  You guys so far have been great!  Thanks

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas

The Epson 11880/9900/9890 all do very well on canvas, Matte with MK or Satin and Glossy with PK. 

The main consideration you have with all aqueous printers with canvas, is the fact that:

Matte canvas, needs some form of a coating as you really can't handle it to stretch or mount without leaving fingerprints/marks etc. 

Satin or Glossy also need a protective coating unless you know the print is going to an environment where it won't be exposed to excessive handling, or moisture.  You can take a print on Glossy or Satin Crystalline (from Breathing color) straight to the bars, but you have to be pretty careful not to rub or get any water on the face.  If the print will be near areas where a casual cleaning service could spray it with something (which would ruin it) as in a hospital, airport, any public location, I would still recommend a protective coating.  Breathing Color, Lexjet, Clearstar all make good ones to try.

Epson's can handle canvas very well.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer

I print a ton of canvas on an 8300 and Paul brings up a good point. i you're selling this work you're going to have to have a solution for spraying the canvases. I wouldn't dream of selling someone a canvas that was uncoated. No matter what Breathing Color tells you their glossy canvases need to be coated for display (and it's not a media I'd choose anyway). Lyve with timeless gloss is my preferred combo.
Pages: [1]   Go Up