Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Data and Analysis of Gitzo Systematic and RRS Versa Tripods  (Read 3213 times)

dwswager

My Data and Analysis of Gitzo Systematic and RRS Versa Tripods
« on: September 06, 2014, 09:04:39 pm »

I recently went through the process of evaluating different models in the search for a new general use tripod.  Originally, I had planned to buy a Gitzo Series 3 Systematic, until I realized that RRS actually made tripods.  After my research and analysis, I’ve actually selected the RRS Versa 3 TVC-34L.  I’ve seen a lot of posts asking about these 2 brands with little information and lots of meaningless points.

Attached to this post is a JPEG table comparison of the Series 2-5 Systematics and the Versa 2 & 3 specifications.  While this is useful information, the reason I selected the RRS is actually only partially covered by the specification.  Let’s face it, is anyone really going to load a Series 2 Gitzo with 55lbs and try to actually make it work?  So a max weight load spec is basically useless as a basis for comparison.  The specifications listed include:  Model, Upper Tube OD, Leg Sections, Max Focal Length, Max  Load, Max Height, Min Height, Folded Length, Weight, Apex Diameter, and Leg Joint Type.

First and foremost, I wanted a tripod that was stable and well damped and there are no specifications for that.  The best I could do was a number of reviews by real photographers that tested both brands and concluded that the RRS Versa 3 exhibited less vibration than a Series 5 Gitzo.  Hence, for less weight and size, you ‘apparently’ get better stability.

Other factors in RRS’s favor (in my opinion):

1.   The offset leg joints and mechanism seem to pose a less likely pinch point.  In addition it leads to a smaller overall diameter of the tripod when folded.

2.   The leg lock mechanism seemed to be easier to operate and smoother.

3.   The half ball foot is something I’ve actually wished for to raise the bottom of the leg when fully splayed.  BTW, the RRS and Gitzo Series 2-4 feet are interchangeable so RRS feet will work on Gitzo and Gitzo feet will work on RRS.

4.   The company has always been great to work with; from Brian to Joe that hasn’t changed.

Where I think Gitzo has an edge is:

1.   Shear number of models available.  If you have a special need, there might be a model that RRS just can’t match.  I’m thinking the GT3542XLS that goes to79” even though it only folds to 29” and weighs 5lbs.

2.   Interchangeability of accessories, at least among the Series 2-4 models.  Because RRS uses different size apexes for each Versa series, you can’t have a Versa 2 backpacking tripod and a Versa 3 general use tripod and swap center columns or leveling bases between them.

3.   Look.  I’m not into how my gear looks, but the cross hatch pattern on the RRS is too noticeable in bright sun and just says “steal me”!

About Max Focal Length

That is Gitzo's way of hinting at the torsional rigidity (resisting rotational forces) of each series.  RRS has no specification at all in that regard.

Of Apexes and their size

This is my first tripod w/o a center column (though I will get one for very specific times when I know it will come in handy).  The Apex on the TVC-24L is only 50mm which is smaller than most medium ball heads like my Arca Swiss B1 which has a 70mm base.  RRS does not recommend heads with base size smaller than the Apex.   For example, puttin a Arca Swiss p0 (50mm base) on the TVC-34L with a 70mm apex.   RRS said the B1 on the 50mm Apex would be fine.  Which makes sense since most center columns have apexes of 50mm or less.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 09:33:40 pm by dwswager »

erpman

Re: My Data and Analysis of Gitzo Systematic and RRS Versa Tripods
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 04:27:14 pm »

Can you post the review that concludes that the Gitzo series 5 has less vibration than the RSS? This test concludes that even a series 3 Gitzo is more stable than a series 3 RSS.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 06:17:37 pm »

As much as I like my 3 series RRS and use it gladly as my main serious outdoor tripod, I find my 5 series Gitzo significantly more stable in windy conditions with longer, which is when it matters most.

Obviously, the much heavier weigth of the Gitzo contributes to this.

I have not tried the newer 4 series from RRS.

Cheers,
Bernard

Some Guy

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 08:39:05 pm »

I have a RRS TV-33 and always wondered if the light weight is prone to vibration.

Actually, the Sirui R-series is a pretty close copy of the RRS tripod too for about half the price.  It has a longer yoke on the upper tubes that attach to the head so it might be a bit beefier too than the RRS.

I wish these CF tripod makers would make a long two-tubes per leg section tripod, maybe add some foam and lead shot to the lower inner leg too.  A long two-section leg could be made lower with the locking pivots at the top too and it would set up quicker too.  Messing with the three and four section leg locks is too slow, imho.

SG

dwswager

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 10:05:18 pm »

There was one comparison posted here on Luminous Landscape:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/accessories/is_this_the_worlds_best_tripod.shtml

With respect to a 2 section leg tripod, I actually still use from time to time a Uniloc (U-bolt like a Benbo) that has 2 leg sections where the lower section is sealed and slide up over the upper section.  Hence, you can put it in water up to near the top of the one section without worries of water/salt/sand fouling the legs.

http://www.uniloctripod.com/index.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up