Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Organizing Adjustment Brushes?  (Read 2777 times)

Bob Rockefeller

• macOS, iOS, OM Systems, Epson P800
    • Bob Rockefeller
Organizing Adjustment Brushes?
« on: September 06, 2014, 01:48:19 pm »

I've collected a number of adjustment brush - some my own and some third-party. All of them show up on the local adjustment brush menu in one giant, long list.

Attempting to create some order, I arranged them into folders within ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom/Local Adjustment Presets.

But that does nothing.

How does one organize one's large adjustment brush presets?
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA   www.bobrockefeller.com

RikkFlohr

• Adobe, Inc. - Photography Products
    • Rikk Flohr's Website
Re: Organizing Adjustment Brushes?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 02:17:55 pm »

Alpha/Numerically in a single flat list is your only organizational option.
Rikk Flohr
Quality Engineer Customer Advocate - Photography Products
Adobe

Bob Rockefeller

• Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 02:49:47 pm »

Thanks, but sad.

Yet another way that Lightroom's UI still can match the now-defunct Aperture's. :(
Bob Rockefeller

RikkFlohr

• Adobe, Inc. - Photography Products
    • Rikk Flohr's Website
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 11:29:17 am »

For me it is a non-issue as I have never found use for more than a half-dozen Adjustment Brush presets. I still cannot figure out what 'savings' people realize in creating dozens or hundreds of these.  Given the variability and uniqueness of every input image and the time spent scrolling through long lists (or lists and folders) to find that just-the-right preset, I don't see any time savings. Perhaps that is me and I am alone in my opinion.

Rikk Flohr
Quality Engineer Customer Advocate - Photography Products
Adobe

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 12:01:48 pm »

For me it is a non-issue as I have never found use for more than a half-dozen Adjustment Brush presets. I still cannot figure out what 'savings' people realize in creating dozens or hundreds of these.  Given the variability and uniqueness of every input image and the time spent scrolling through long lists (or lists and folders) to find that just-the-right preset, I don't see any time savings. Perhaps that is me and I am alone in my opinion.

Nope, I agree with you.

Bob Rockefeller

• Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 12:22:24 pm »

I generally agree. I use the local adjustment brush presets as a good starting point and sometimes one hits the spot.

But I like to have a group (hence the desire for organization) for such things as sharpening, simple portrait retouching (heavy duty stuff still has to go to Photoshop) and exposure. Sometimes I'll have a couple of sets of third-party brushes (some of which overlap functions) while I work with them to see which ones I like.

How hard would it be for Lightroom to recognize folders within the local adjustment presets folder and sub-menus? Why would't that be the expected behavior? What if someone DID have dozens of brushes? Lightroom's global adjustment presets work with folder organization.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 08:45:41 am by Bob Rockefeller »
Bob Rockefeller

John Caldwell

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 08:43:28 am »

I'm with Bob. I can see great benefit in allowing grouping brushes into a folder architecture that the user defines. I have taken to creating a dummy (invisible) Brush folder where I move brushes that I don't want to use for a given assignment because they clutter my brush list, but move them back into the actual brush folder when a different assignment calls for them. This does involve opening and closing LR for the updated active brush folders to be visible though.

John Caldwell
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 04:44:05 pm by John Caldwell »
Pages: [1]   Go Up