Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The very strange story of the death of photographer Fernando Pereira  (Read 1734 times)

Damon Lynch

• http://www.damonlynch.net

On 10 July 1985 in Auckland, New Zealand, the photographer Fernando Pereira drowned while attempting to rescue his photography equipment from the Greenpeace vessel the Rainbow Warrior. He died because of a terrorist attack by French intelligence agents. It was the second bomb that killed him. I very much like the recollection of events shared by French expatriate Henri Astier.

One of the French agents apprehended by New Zealand police was Commander Alain Mafart. He is now known as Alain Mafart-Renodier, and is clearly an excellent photographer.

In an absolute balls up, one of Mafart-Renodier's images has ended up in Greenpeace USA's 2015 calendar. Greenpeace USA say they will make a new calendar for next year.

I am from New Zealand. I've always admired Greenpeace. I don't know Mr. Mafart-Renodier. It would be nice to speak with him one day, to hear this thoughts after all this time. He might be a nice guy -- I have no idea. Probably he has already been paid by the company that put together the calendar. I admit, yes, I'm curious as to what he decided to do with the payment.
Pages: [1]   Go Up