Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zeiss Distagon 35/1.4 ZM  (Read 3923 times)

JV

allegretto

Re: Zeiss Distagon 35/1.4 ZM
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 09:25:57 am »

not aspheric

Telecaster

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 04:21:44 pm »

Aspherical elements are no guarantee of anything in particular.

I really like the ZMs. I bought a 50/2 when it first came on the market and have followed it up over the years with the 21/2.8, 28/2.8 and 35/2. These, along with a Leitz 90/2.8 I seldom use, form my Leica M8.2 lens lineup. Leica could learn something from the way Zeiss has combined focus tabs (bumps actually) with ribbed focus rings. Nice handling. The lenses are all crisp & contrasty with clean, neutral color.

I don't really need the 35/1.4's extra speed but I'm curious about it just the same.

-Dave- (whose M6 kit features WWII-era Zeiss 35, 50 & 85mm LTM lenses)

Paul Roark

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 06:10:53 pm »

The data sheet for the lens is at http://www.zeiss.com/content/dam/Photography/new/pdf/en/downloadcenter/datasheets_zm/distagont1435zm.pdf .

Given the date on the PDF, this does appear to be the right lens.  The MTF's are there -- looks good but not in the Otus class.

The important thing may be that it has been designed for digital cameras, but whether that would include the Sony a7r with an adapter is not clear.

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com

allegretto

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 07:40:01 pm »

Aspherical elements are no guarantee of anything in particular.

I really like the ZMs. I bought a 50/2 when it first came on the market and have followed it up over the years with the 21/2.8, 28/2.8 and 35/2. These, along with a Leitz 90/2.8 I seldom use, form my Leica M8.2 lens lineup. Leica could learn something from the way Zeiss has combined focus tabs (bumps actually) with ribbed focus rings. Nice handling. The lenses are all crisp & contrasty with clean, neutral color.

I don't really need the 35/1.4's extra speed but I'm curious about it just the same.

-Dave- (whose M6 kit features WWII-era Zeiss 35, 50 & 85mm LTM lenses)

while "aspherical" correction in a marketing brochure is in fact no guarantee that it is better as you point out, without correction you will induce spherical aberration which does increase with increasing aperture opening. True it can be "corrected" but that is likely destructive correction.

So the lens may be very sharp, and very good MTF's, especially centrally, without the correction it will distort.

JV

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 08:13:12 pm »

while "aspherical" correction in a marketing brochure is in fact no guarantee that it is better as you point out, without correction you will induce spherical aberration which does increase with increasing aperture opening. True it can be "corrected" but that is likely destructive correction.

So the lens may be very sharp, and very good MTF's, especially centrally, without the correction it will distort.

Supposedly this lens will be better than the Summilux and have only 1/3 of the distortion of the Summilux:
http://diglloyd.com/blog/2014/20140916_0300-ZeissZM-35f1_4-Distagon.html

so who cares?  At slightly over $2K this looks like excellent value to me... 

allegretto

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 10:59:22 pm »

Supposedly this lens will be better than the Summilux and have only 1/3 of the distortion of the Summilux:
http://diglloyd.com/blog/2014/20140916_0300-ZeissZM-35f1_4-Distagon.html

so who cares?  At slightly over $2K this looks like excellent value to me... 

there are many different types of distortion

and it's Zeiss, so I'm sure it will be great. I'm just surprised it's not aspherical. Most manufacturers do this routinely in their high-end WA's

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 03:05:00 am »

This lens almost makes me consider getting a used M9! ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

JV

Pages: [1]   Go Up