Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there a way to turn an overcast day into a sunny one?  (Read 2548 times)

haring

• http://www.haringphotography.com
Is there a way to turn an overcast day into a sunny one?
« on: September 04, 2014, 09:39:12 am »

How do you turn an overcast day into a sunny day?
I have tried to adjust white balance and pulled up the yellows but I am just not totally happy with the results. The photos are warmer but it lacks the happy sunny glow. Is there a way to adjust/edit the the image so it looks like the photo was taken in a sunny day?

Thanks!

melchiorpavone

Re: Is there a way to turn an overcast day into a sunny one?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 11:05:32 am »

How do you turn an overcast day into a sunny day?
I have tried to adjust white balance and pulled up the yellows but I am just not totally happy with the results. The photos are warmer but it lacks the happy sunny glow. Is there a way to adjust/edit the the image so it looks like the photo was taken in a sunny day?

Thanks!

No.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 11:45:45 am by melchiorpavone »

NancyP

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 12:14:10 pm »

No, but overcast light offers different opportunities for images - maybe not the images you had in mind when you set out, but good images nonetheless. Some days I just don't want to shoot in sunny weather! Look for low-contrast subject matter.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 12:21:16 pm »

Use a fill-in flash with an orange filter. That way, when you correct white balance in post, your gray, overcast sky will turn blue, while faces will still have some warm glow from the fill-in flash.

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 01:30:53 pm »

Use a fill-in flash with an orange filter. That way, when you correct white balance in post, your gray, overcast sky will turn blue, while faces will still have some warm glow from the fill-in flash.
Wow, that's good information.  Thanks.  Although I live in California, so I have the opposite problem...
Maddog Murph
www.depictionsofbeauty.com
Mostly here for constructive feedback.

melchiorpavone

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 01:32:14 pm »

LOL

No, that's not even close.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 01:48:57 pm »

LOL

No, that's not even close.

Much closer than your smart-ass, facetious comments that you are barfing all over these forums.

melchiorpavone

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 01:53:24 pm »

Much closer than your smart-ass, facetious comments that you are barfing all over these forums.

Well, after all we are dealing with photographers, not "rocket surgeons".

As asked, the question is nonsensical, and my reply reflects that. What is "happy sunny glow"? The character of light from a cloudless sky is completely different from that of a cloudy day, because the size of the light source is much different. A point light source gives a very sharp shadow. You cannot replicate a point-source light with a large-source light. Therefore the answer is "NO!"

A slightly overcast day is actually better for portraiture, don't you know.

The answer to the question is "no", not nobody, not no-how.

http://youtu.be/TufvnJfmHuU
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 02:12:51 pm by melchiorpavone »

rgs

• Richard Smith Photography
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 07:53:19 pm »

I was trying to think of something to say to him. Thanks!! :D

rgs

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 08:01:11 pm »

Well, after all we are dealing with photographers, not "rocket surgeons".

As asked, the question is nonsensical, and my reply reflects that. What is "happy sunny glow"? The character of light from a cloudless sky is completely different from that of a cloudy day, because the size of the light source is much different. A point light source gives a very sharp shadow. You cannot replicate a point-source light with a large-source light. Therefore the answer is "NO!"

A slightly overcast day is actually better for portraiture, don't you know.

The answer to the question is "no", not nobody, not no-how.

I suppose the conflating of "Rocket Science" with "Brain Surgeon" was intentional, at least I hope so. Nevertheless the first sentence just reinforces Slobodan's previous comment. However what follows that sentence was a very nice, clear and quite complete answer rather than a flippant useless one. Thank you.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 08:04:36 pm by rgs »

melchiorpavone

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2014, 08:09:00 pm »

I suppose the conflating of "Rocket Science" with "Brain Surgeon" was intentional, at least I hope so. Nevertheless the first sentence just reinforces Slobodan's previous comment. However what follows that sentence was a very nice, clear and quite complete answer rather than a flippant useless one. Thank you.

Thanks!

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2014, 08:58:58 pm »

... As asked, the question is nonsensical, and my reply reflects that. What is "happy sunny glow"? The character of light from a cloudless sky is completely different from that of a cloudy day, because the size of the light source is much different. A point light source gives a very sharp shadow. You cannot replicate a point-source light with a large-source light. Therefore the answer is "NO!"

A slightly overcast day is actually better for portraiture, don't you know...

There is nothing non-sensical in the OP question. The guy is a wedding photographer, and his brides want "white sand" when it is actually yellowish, and they want "happy sunny glow" as well. And they should get it, because "the bride is always right."

You are making too many assumptions, like that the only light during daylight is the mid-day, point-source one, producing harsh shadows. The light toward the end of the day, around the "golden" hour" tends to produce that "happy sunny glow." Even during the mid-day, using a diffuser (to cast a shade) and a golden reflector might produce some of that "happy sunny glow."

Obviously, no one and nothing can reproduce exactly the "happy sunny glow" effect with a heavy overcast. What we could do, other than saying that flippant "NO" is to help the guy to mimic, do what he can, and come as close as humanly possible to what the client wants. Hence my advice.

melchiorpavone

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2014, 09:03:19 pm »

There is nothing non-sensical in the OP question. The guy is a wedding photographer, and his brides want "white sand" when it is actually yellowish, and they want "happy sunny glow" as well. And they should get it, because "the bride is always right."

You are making too many assumptions, like that the only light during daylight is the mid-day, point-source one, producing harsh shadows. The light toward the end of the day, around the "golden" hour" tends to produce that "happy sunny glow." Even during the mid-day, using a diffuser (to cast a shade) and a golden reflector might produce some of that "happy sunny glow."

Obviously, no one and nothing can reproduce exactly the "happy sunny glow" effect with a heavy overcast. What we could do, other than saying that flippant "NO" is to help the guy to mimic, do what he can, and come as close as humanly possible to what the client wants. Hence my advice.

Nope. End-of-the-day light tends to be warmer, but the shadows are just as empty and dark as the shadows on a cloudless day at noon. Sometimes around sunset the sun dips behind wispy clouds and this produces a softer light, but the OP's question does not indicate that.

Like this:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ornello/5613368973/in/photostream/lightbox/

(Taken in June or July in early evening, on Kodachrome 25). The Kodachrome original has more brilliance than the scan shows.

Again, the answer is "NO!" and don't contradict me again! Stick to the science, which has nothing to do with "what the client wants".

If you want to argue intelligently, I will respond, but if you continue to post nonsense I will report you.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 09:31:56 pm by melchiorpavone »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2014, 09:06:15 pm »

... Again, the answer is "NO!" and don't contradict me again!

:o :o :o ??? ??? ??? :'( :'( :'(

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

melchiorpavone

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2014, 09:09:08 pm »

:o :o :o ??? ??? ??? :'( :'( :'(

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

All I see from you on this forum is misinformation.

Since you seem to lack even the most basic knowledge of photographic science, I recommend you cease posting.

I have reported you. Bye.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 09:15:50 pm by melchiorpavone »

rgs

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2014, 09:32:15 pm »

Again, the answer is "NO!" and don't contradict me again! Stick to the science, which has nothing to do with "what the client wants".

If you want to argue intelligently, I will respond, but if you continue to post nonsense I will report you.

Why are you so touchy and narrow-minded? Don't you think threatening to "report" Slobodan makes you sound a bit childish? I don't like to presume motives but you have made it clear you think the rest of us aren't on our level so I take back what I said above. BTW, good photography is far more than "science".

melchiorpavone

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2014, 09:35:20 pm »

Why are you so touchy and narrow-minded? Don't you think threatening to "report" Slobodan makes you sound a bit childish? I don't like to presume motives but you have made it clear you think the rest of us aren't on our level so I take back what I said above. BTW, good photography is far more than "science".

No, it's all science. Every photographic effect you can imagine is produced by some manipulation of the equipment or materials. You cannot just "think" it. You can have all the passion and emotion in the world but that doesn't mean squat unless you know the science of how to produce what you want in the image.

And I take it you meant "your level" above? Yes, that is correct.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 09:38:23 pm by melchiorpavone »

rgs

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2014, 09:42:28 pm »

It's a shame you live in such a tiny little world. But there seems no point in continuing this, so I'm done.

melchiorpavone

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2014, 09:50:44 pm »

It's a shame you live in such a tiny little world. But there seems no point in continuing this, so I'm done.

Sorry, I live in the material world, not a magical one.

It's not possible to turn water into wine, either.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 10:00:21 pm by melchiorpavone »

michael

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2014, 07:45:27 am »

Please end all personal insults, NOW.

Keep the conversation civil, or it will be closed. Repeat offenders will be banned.

Michael
Pages: [1]   Go Up