Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 9900 network issue  (Read 918 times)

JohnHeerema

• Dr. John Heerema
    • http://www.heerema.ca
Epson 9900 network issue
« on: September 03, 2014, 05:20:41 pm »

Hello,

I've just encountered a network issue with my 9900, and wonder if anyone else has encountered it, or if anyone has any ideas on how to get the printer working?

This morning, I got a D130 error (which is not in the 9900 Field Repair Guide), advising me to power cycle the printer, which I did, and I have not seen the error again.

However, the printer no longer talks to the network. If I look at the network settings, the network is disabled. I can enable it, and confirm that it has the right static IP address, but it won't respond to pings. Also, if I power cycle the printer, the network shows up as disabled, making me think that it failed POST. The printer port shows a power light, and the signal light flickers, making me think that it's trying to send/receive packets.

Any ideas? I've done the usual things - power everything down, and switching to auto (DHCP) setup.

Since this printer is out of extended warranty, I wonder if I can connect via USB instead. To do that, I'll have to install either a network to USB adapter, or a chain of USB extension cables (I think that I can just squeeze under the USB repeater limit, which I think is 5 repeaters, for a total of 15 meters). Has anyone had success with a chain of USB cables, or a network to USB converter?

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Garnick

Re: Epson 9900 network issue
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 11:19:24 pm »

Hello,

Since this printer is out of extended warranty, I wonder if I can connect via USB instead. To do that, I'll have to install either a network to USB adapter, or a chain of USB extension cables (I think that I can just squeeze under the USB repeater limit, which I think is 5 repeaters, for a total of 15 meters). Has anyone had success with a chain of USB cables, or a network to USB converter?

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Hello John,

I have no experience running the 9900 on a network, but I have a lot of experience with the USB Extenders.  It's been quite along time since I set up that system, so I don't recall the exact number I use, since that's at work and I'm not at this hour.  The cables are 5 meters in length and I know I'm using at least 3 of them(approximately 45ft).  I've never had any issues with that setup at all.  When the printer was still under extended warranty and I had service techs out on more than one occasion and they would always warn against using a USB chain that of that length, so I put it through its paces and they had to admit that there were NO adverse effects from using that connection.  Just make sure you get good cables, don't go cheap.  I don't know where you are located, but I bought mine at Canada Computers and I've been very satisfied with their performance.  Hope this helps.

Gary     

Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

JohnHeerema

• Dr. John Heerema
    • http://www.heerema.ca
Re: Epson 9900 network issue
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 08:42:02 pm »

Thanks Gary!

I might also put an old computer in the printer room, and use it as a print server (connected to the network, and connected to the printer via USB).

Cheers,
John
Pages: [1]   Go Up